cat peeing on blankets

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rufus has always been pretty jumpy and chased his tail. we moved into a new house three years ago the same time i found the little kitties and brought them home. so the two older ones were adjusting to a new home and introductions it took a real long time. he bit his tail three years ago and it was then he was put on buspirone. rufus spends time in that room but no more than anyone else. bowie does seem to really want to follow rufus around and play with him but not to an extreme he and his little brother bob tend to just chase each other around because they have the same energy level
Interesting, thank you.

Does Rufus play with Bowie all the time or does Bowie sometimes get the cold shoulder?

Keep an eye on whether Rufus is having a bad day/night and whether there is any correlation with Bowie's peeing.

I still wonder if there is something outside like a feral etc.

Just keep playing with him there and feed treats after and be really loving to him around there. Let's see if that makes a difference.

Cats want to cover their scent so I get a sense it is probably territorial and therefore something coming around outside and increasing his confidence will help that. If it was stress I would suspect he would just use the litter box right there.

No more pee incidents?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no more pee but we have had the cushions that were there off the couch until foam can be replaced. so no smell. i hope. thank you for helping. i do think bowie had/has some i’m not accepted issues which we are totally working on.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no more pee but we have had the cushions that were there off the couch until foam can be replaced. so no smell. i hope. thank you for helping. i do think bowie had/has some i’m not accepted issues which we are totally working on.
GREAT!!!

It could (and I hope) it is as simple as the lingering scent. We'll see.

You are very welcome. I am happy to try to help.

Bowie seems to be doing well. I am sure there are some issues as there usually are but we can deal with that. He seems to be doing really well.

Is there any chance any other cat peed on the couch?

We'll solve this.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i did not actually see the last one so it could have been. still waiting on new foam so we won’t have full couch back for awhile but been good so far thanks!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i did not actually see the last one so it could have been. still waiting on new foam so we won’t have full couch back for awhile but been good so far thanks!
Yes, it is hard to see them. :/ Just watch for any behavior or body language changes.

I would have the cover on the couch when you do get them just to make sure.

Keep up the great work.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he peed on a random blanket last night that was in our spare bedroom no idea why no one really goes in there that much. so confusing

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he peed on a random blanket last night that was in our spare bedroom no idea why no one really goes in there that much. so confusing
He doesn't spend much time in that spare bedroom?

Scenting (peeing) is typically an ownership thing to tell others "this is mine". And when something feels kind of like litter (a blanket) it gives an opportunity.

Are you able to add a litter box in there?

I just get a sense he is feeling a little territorial insecurity. Why? I am not sure. Some cats just have less confidence or are "bothered" a bit more than others for some reasons.

If possible, add a little box in that spare bedroom. Also, if possible play with him in there, feed him treats or a meal in there after. Think about adding a cat tree or a scratching post or some bedding so he can get his scent on other things.

Keep watching him to see if there are any changes to the way he walks (lower, more cautiously), his tail position, how he interacts with the other cats, etc.

Don't worry, we will solve this, instinct is on our side. I suspect it is just a little insecurity going on and the above will help with that.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just peer all over the rest of the couch but i swear it might be the other little one cause he was the only one over there. trip to vet for him now. couch ruined

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
almost positive it was bob not bowie this time. and maybe the last few. he has a vet appointment on tuesday: i so hope he has an infection. it’s so weird because they all do get along really well. he was basically drinking water and then just went to the couch and peed so i’m hoping he drank too much water and something that can be fixed is going on with his kidneys that he could not make it to the litter box

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
almost positive it was bob not bowie this time. and maybe the last few. he has a vet appointment on tuesday: i so hope he has an infection. it’s so weird because they all do get along really well. he was basically drinking water and then just went to the couch and peed so i’m hoping he drank too much water and something that can be fixed is going on with his kidneys that he could not make it to the litter box
:( I am sorry but we will fix this. I know not soon enough though.

Is Bob one of the new cats or one of the resident/existing cats? I believe Bob is one of the new cats.

Very good you will rule out medical issues with the vet.

Keep watching their body language. To sense any insecurity. Peeing tends to come from an insecurity whether it is territorial or other. It doesn't have to come from the other household cats or animals it could be coming from outside animals. or general household stress, or workers coming in the house, etc.

What is behind the couch or on the sides? Windows, doors? Is the couch against an outside wall?

What is above the couch? Is there a second floor or is there an attic or is it kind of a gutter?

Do you ever have squirrels or mice etc that get into the house? The walls or anything?

Do you have a lot of animals in your neighborhood? I would assume there are feral cats but any other animals? Deer, coyotes, etc?

Do your neighbors have any animals? Dogs? That bark?

Were the humans more stressed the last few days or around the time of the pee incident?

We'll want to step up play with all the cats but especially those that are peeing especially by the couch and then feed treats after. Did you still have a litter box by the couch? I would consider putting a scratching post and a cat tree by that couch and if possible (if you own the home) maybe some cat shelving by the walls by the couch. And finally, try to remain as calm, confident and loving with them .Emotions can give cats a lot of confidence and security and they can really help as cats take on our emotions.

Hang in there, we will solve this.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes it’s one of the new cats. the back of the couch is just open to the area between family room and kitchen so really nothing there. i think above is just the ceiling not sure if attic there but no upstairs. never had mice. we had moved the litter box out of there. basically he just ate, maybe drank some water and went over there and peed on couch. no one was doing anything out of normal i swear i think he just did not want to waste time getting to litter box because i had just got home and opened the sun room and he wanted to get out there. i’m so confused. now we are not even using the family room because all cushions are off couch and don’t want to try getting new foam now for all the areas of the couch and sitting in basement. him being in a rush does not explain his or bowie’s peeing on blankets in bedroom. i so hope it’s a vet issue but because this is only every few days i’m not sure. thanks for your help and thoughts.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh there is a scratching post right behind couch as well actually two of them. we are both very stressed but not toward them they are so cute 😊

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes it’s one of the new cats. the back of the couch is just open to the area between family room and kitchen so really nothing there. i think above is just the ceiling not sure if attic there but no upstairs. never had mice. we had moved the litter box out of there. basically he just ate, maybe drank some water and went over there and peed on couch. no one was doing anything out of normal i swear i think he just did not want to waste time getting to litter box because i had just got home and opened the sun room and he wanted to get out there. i’m so confused. now we are not even using the family room because all cushions are off couch and don’t want to try getting new foam now for all the areas of the couch and sitting in basement. him being in a rush does not explain his or bowie’s peeing on blankets in bedroom. i so hope it’s a vet issue but because this is only every few days i’m not sure. thanks for your help and thoughts.
Oh my goodness, they are SO CUTE!!! They sure look happy and content. Thank you for the pics. I lOVE them!!!

"yes it’s one of the new cats." - Ok.

"the back of the couch is just open to the area between family room and kitchen so really nothing there. i think above is just the ceiling not sure if attic there but no upstairs." - Ok, nothing obvious. Sometimes it is against and outside wall where animals from the outside mark.

"never had mice." - OK. Sometimes people get critters in their walls and that can cause issues.

"we had moved the litter box out of there." - Was the litter box still there when he peed?

" basically he just ate, maybe drank some water and went over there and peed on couch." - Did you notice how he walked? Lower to the ground, tail down, etc?

"no one was doing anything out of normal" - Ok, that makes it more confusing.

" i swear i think he just did not want to waste time getting to litter box because i had just got home and opened the sun room and he wanted to get out there." - Ok, that is interesting. I don't think it was "wasting time". BUT it is interesting you just came home. How long were you gone? Was anyone else at home when you were gone? Did you say hi to him when you came home? Are there doors to the sunroom? Cats are territorial and when territory is "taken away" (doors closed to a room) that can cause unease, stress, insecurity and cause peeing.

Is there any correlation with the sunroom doors being closed and peeing?

"i’m so confused." - I am wondering if we are on to something with the sunroom/territory.

" now we are not even using the family room because all cushions are off couch and don’t want to try getting new foam now for all the areas of the couch" - Understandable.

" and sitting in basement." - So you and others in the family are spending more time in the basement? And less in the sunroom and other places? Do the cats go down in the basement with you?

"him being in a rush does not explain his or bowie’s peeing on blankets in bedroom. " - No, exactly. I am thinking it has something to do with territory access. I would like to understand if territory (rooms) are being closed off when you leave etc?

" i so hope it’s a vet issue but because this is only every few days i’m not sure." - I am thinking is is territory related but it is always good to rule out medical (infection, pain, etc).

"thanks for your help and thoughts." - You are very welcome. We will figure this out.

"oh there is a scratching post right behind couch as well actually two of them." - Great

"we are both very stressed" - Are you stressed generally? Or stressed because of the peeing? So in a normal day the stress is very low but then a cat pees and the stress goes up for a while then goes back down?

"but not toward them they are so cute " - Cats pick up on stress so it doesn't have to be directing towards them. Just the humans being different, stressed can cause cats stress as cats take on our emotions.

They are REALLY CUTE!!!! AGREED!!!

What room is that picture taken in? Do they have access to that tree 24/7?

Depending in on the answers I have a feeling we are on the brink of figuring this out. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for the great information. VERY helpful!!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i was gone all day at work the day he peed and my husband had been gone for a few hours so the sunroom had been closed. there are sliding doors to the sunroom that we do not keep open when we are gone it is not a four seasons room and will probably be closed most of the time when it starts getting colder we are having nice weather for this time of year unusual. the pictures are in the bedroom they always have access to that room which also has a litter box. there is also a tree in the family room which usually one of the older cats sits in and right now a tree in the sunroom. i did not notice him walking low to the ground that day my recollection is that he just jumped onto the couch from the back and i noticed him kind of crouching on the back. one thing he did do which he also does when he throws up is scratch with one paw next to the site of the accident like he knows it’s out of place

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh the other times i believe the sunroom was open. i open it almost always when i wake up and it stays open all day usually. stress wise i do have slight anxiety. my husband never did but does with the whole pandemic thing now but not super bad. he does not spend a ton of time in the family room when i’m at work. when we go to the basement now they have all been coming down; except for one of the older ones

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we had taken the litter box out before the last pee because we really thought with any residual smell this was over. also the little ones sleep at night with us, the big ones never really did even before we got the newer ones. one thing on the spare bedroom if i lay down on a non workday for a break, i do go in there because all of the cats including big ones are in the main bedroom because i open all the blinds in there because it gets good sun. sometimes one of the older ones will come in and hang out with me in the afternoon. for some reason they will lay down with me in the afternoon but not at night it’s always been like that for some reaslon

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was gone all day at work the day he peed and my husband had been gone for a few hours so the sunroom had been closed. there are sliding doors to the sunroom that we do not keep open when we are gone it is not a four seasons room and will probably be closed most of the time when it starts getting colder we are having nice weather for this time of year unusual. the pictures are in the bedroom they always have access to that room which also has a litter box. there is also a tree in the family room which usually one of the older cats sits in and right now a tree in the sunroom. i did not notice him walking low to the ground that day my recollection is that he just jumped onto the couch from the back and i noticed him kind of crouching on the back. one thing he did do which he also does when he throws up is scratch with one paw next to the site of the accident like he knows it’s out of place
"i was gone all day at work the day he peed and my husband had been gone for a few hours so the sunroom had been closed." - Interesting. Have you and/or your husband been working from home lately and if it has changed when did it change? We always look for changes that might cause stress or insecurity etc.

"there are sliding doors to the sunroom that we do not keep open when we are gone it is not a four seasons room and will probably be closed most of the time when it starts getting colder we are having nice weather for this time of year unusual." - Ok

"the pictures are in the bedroom they always have access to that room which also has a litter box." - OK, great

" there is also a tree in the family room which usually one of the older cats sits in and right now a tree in the sunroom. " - Perfect

" i did not notice him walking low to the ground that day my recollection is that he just jumped onto the couch from the back and i noticed him kind of crouching on the back." - Ok

" one thing he did do which he also does when he throws up is scratch with one paw next to the site of the accident like he knows it’s out of place" - Yes. Exactly, that is a sign he wants to cover his scent. So this suggests that some kind of change is causing him stress. He does know it is wrong so I am sure we can correct this.

How often is he throwing up? If he isn't feeling well that could cause stress or the throwing up is a sign of stress. Do you notice he is throwing up and then around the same time peeing?

"oh the other times i believe the sunroom was open." - Ok. How often does he go in that sunroom?

" i open it almost always when i wake up and it stays open all day usually." - Ok, good.

" stress wise i do have slight anxiety. my husband never did but does with the whole pandemic thing now but not super bad." - Yes. No question almost everyone is having increased stress and anxiety and I am seeing this being picked up by the cats. Keep an eye on if you see him peeing on days when you and/or your husband are more stressed than normal.

" he does not spend a ton of time in the family room when i’m at work." - Ok. And the family room is where the couch they pee on is? Any idea why he doesn't spend time in the family room when you are at work? Is he more confident around the other cats when you are around than when you aren't? I understand that may be difficult to know.

" when we go to the basement now they have all been coming down; except for one of the older ones" - OK good. Are the younger ones close to the one of the older ones that don't come down? Keep looking for any changes in behavior or body language.

Cats do not like change so any change can be unnerving.

"we had taken the litter box out before the last pee because we really thought with any residual smell this was over." - Ok. Were any of the cats using that litter box before it was taken away?

"also the little ones sleep at night with us, the big ones never really did even before we got the newer ones." - Ok

" one thing on the spare bedroom if i lay down on a non workday for a break" - ok, that shouldn't cause an issue.

" i do go in there because all of the cats including big ones are in the main bedroom because i open all the blinds in there because it gets good sun. " - Makes sense

"sometimes one of the older ones will come in and hang out with me in the afternoon." - When one of them did pee in that room was it after one of the older ones was hanging out in there with you? I am sure it is hard to remember.

"for some reason they will lay down with me in the afternoon but not at night it’s always been like that for some reaslon" - Hahaha, cats. They are cats.................... ;)

Thank you for the information. This is actually very helpful. It is like a puzzle, trying to put pieces together and trying to see the picture.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my husband is retired and i am only in office three days a week because of the pandemic so there is almost always someone home. that last time they were alone has only been like three hours and all the other times someone peed we were both home. both bob and bowie used to throw up a lot would eat too fast. so we feed them very little wet food when they have it and leave dry food out all the time for grazing and this seems to have calmed the vomiting. bob spends a lot of time in sunroom especially if it is hot out both of the little guys like the heat. i can’t really think of anything that has changed