Cat peeing often in small amounts

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, looking to see if anyone had similar issues.

Few days ago I noticed the cat using the litterbox often. Most of the time he pees small amount ( 3-5 seconds ), but once a day or so he will pee a long one ( 8-10 seconds ). While he is peeing he doesn't seem in pain, doesn't strain or vocalize.

I took him to the vet and they tested his blood. Red blood cells were high, and some other thing that I forget the name of was high too. When I asked the vet what it means she said that the cat is fighting off inflammation, that's likely reason for those results.

Taken that I thought he has UTI maybe. He received 2 antibiotic shots. After the 1st one I noticed that the frequency of litterbox trips decreased but the amount is still small. However after the 2nd shot there are no more improvements, in fact the frequency seems to have gone up a bit again.

He is 3 year old male, not castrated yet. He is active, eating well. I remember a year ago he had something similar, back then I didn't think much of it and it passed on its own.

Have any of you had a cat with UTI or peeing issues? In case of UTI shouldn't 2 antibiotic shots have given more of a difference?

The vet is closed until 6th of Jan, when it opens I'll take him back for more testing, but until then I wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences.

Thank you.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The white cat in the picture has been diagnosed with UTIs so often, she was started on a urinary diet RC SO. We did a Urine analysis recently with a culture. That way the right antibiotic will be given to kill the bacteria. Ive been to 4 different vets in 2 years for her UTIs. I'm scared for her. The RC SO stops crystals from forming, yet; does not stop UTIs from forming. I joined a FB group for cat urinary infections. We are going in for blood work soon.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally that does indicate a UTI. Did they do a urinalysis? I do know that different infections can take different antibiotics.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This could be pointing to cystitis rather than just a UTI. Especially if your vet mentioned the inflammation. Usually, stress is the cause of cystitis and having your boy neutered will go a long way to reducing his stress. And really, no matter what, he should be neutered. All those hormones will make him more susceptible to territorial and mating issues.

Anything could be stressing him out. Change in routine, animals outside, moving furniture around, new noises, like construction etc.. anything. The reason it went away on it's own before is probably because whatever was stressing him out, no longer was an issue. We dealt with a bout of cystitis due to a bad bear season one year. Our boy was so scared of his territory be encroached on by the bears...they were coming right up to the windows and doors, using our yard as their personal bathroom. He needed significant medical treatment, but once the bears were gone, it never recurred.

My first course of action, when things have calmed down and it's safe to do so...would be to get him neutered. Then you can work on figuring out what his "stressers" are. You may even find that just the neutering alone will be enough without all the hormones affecting him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This could be pointing to cystitis rather than just a UTI. Especially if your vet mentioned the inflammation. Usually, stress is the cause of cystitis and having your boy neutered will go a long way to reducing his stress. And really, no matter what, he should be neutered. All those hormones will make him more susceptible to territorial and mating issues.

Anything could be stressing him out. Change in routine, animals outside, moving furniture around, new noises, like construction etc.. anything. The reason it went away on it's own before is probably because whatever was stressing him out, no longer was an issue. We dealt with a bout of cystitis due to a bad bear season one year. Our boy was so scared of his territory be encroached on by the bears...they were coming right up to the windows and doors, using our yard as their personal bathroom. He needed significant medical treatment, but once the bears were gone, it never recurred.

My first course of action, when things have calmed down and it's safe to do so...would be to get him neutered. Then you can work on figuring out what his "stressers" are. You may even find that just the neutering alone will be enough without all the hormones affecting him.
He does seem quite frustraited. The vet said the castration needs to wait until he is completely healthy. I'll ask if it's safe to do before since that can be the reason itself.

Thank you for your response.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Generally that does indicate a UTI. Did they do a urinalysis? I do know that different infections can take different antibiotics.
They didn't test the urin, I'll keep in mind to request it.

Ashleya187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male intact cat has been dealing with this for about 2 years now, he’s 5 now. The vet did all types of urine analysis, cultures, ultrasounds, xrays, antibiotics and nothing could help my cat. The only thing they told me was basically he has struvite crystals and he has FLUTD. He has no stressors so It might just been genetic. I put him on royal canin and hill’s urinary wet foods and it didn’t help. Until now I found out there is something called urinary acidifiers like methigel or tables of DL- metholoine that can help dissolve the struvite crystals without buying the expensive prescription foods.
Do all the tests your vet recommends and find out what kind of crystals your cat has. If it’s struvite crystals ask him if he can prescribe dl-methionine or if you can get him methigel.

that’s the only info I have going through the condition my cat has. I hope it helps

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been a while but just wanted to give an update since the issue seems resolved now. Initially the vet treated my cat for bladder stones, but the diagnosis was based only on symptoms. After 2 weeks of seeing no progress I insisted on the sonography to confirm stones and it came out clear. The silver lining was that it also showed kidneys, liver and bladder were all fine, there weren't any cysts. So that left behavioral issue. He is now castrated and peeing normal amount.

He also became more affectionate, less stubborn and vocal, I didn't realize how stressed both of us were when he was intact.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my cat has sterile cytitis
she's on gabapentin for arthrits
RC SO wet / dry

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat has sterile cytitis
she's on gabapentin for arthrits
RC SO wet / dry
Does your cat have cystitis from stress? Just found out my cat may have this due to stress. She had no stones or crystals so I need to check with my regular vet for something for anxiety and prescription food to help bladder inflammation. He td me I didn't need RC so food as that was more to prevent crystals and stones. We tried gabapentin but she got too sedated on a tiny dose.