Cat peeing in pet beds

Montasauras

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

So, I have had my beautiful boy Monty for about four years now. For being a rescue and coming in straight off the streets, he's very well behaved. Doesn't bite, doesn't scratch, and takes his allergy medicine like a champ. Recently, due to this whole pandemic thing, I've lost my job and have had to move back home with my family for the time being. For most of the four years that I've had Monty, he's been an only cat. I had one roommate with a cat, but they only lived with us for one year. Now, all of a sudden, we've moved back home to a total of four other cats, five dogs, and six other people. We've visited plenty of times before and he knows all of these animals and people well. But It's a madhouse and I expected Monty, who is a reserved one-person cat, to have some problems adjusting (I know I have), but he's been doing great for the most part. One of the cats is his best friend, so I know he's happy to have him around.

However, Monty is now having to share a litter box with the other cats. There's a total of three litter boxes, but for some reason, the cats really all like his. Monty is unhappy with this which, honestly, I don't blame him. He's showing his unhappiness though by peeing on any and all pet beds that I bring into our room. He never sleeps on these beds, he just pees on them. And it's only these beds, too. No people beds, no pillows or blankets that the other cats actually sleep on, just pet beds. I've tried blocking off his litter box from the other cats, but one of them decided to pee on my pillows in retribution so now I let them use it to avoid having to contend with the other cats' problems. For the most part, I clean it everyday so he doesn't have to stick his nose in other cats' poop, but he will still pee on the pet bed. Our room is the unofficial cat room, so there are no dogs allowed, but the cats all still come and go as they please. I kick them all out in the evening though so it's just me and him. He's never done this before now as he has had plenty of cat beds of his own. There's also a dog bed in the hallway that he completely leaves alone.

Is there a way that I can encourage him not to pee in any pet beds? Or should I just forgo them forever? Are there some other ways that I can help make him more comfortable in this new and sometimes hectic environment? He really is an amazing cat and I'm so lucky to have him with me, especially now, so I want to help him the best I can. Note: I'm not a fan of spray bottles.
I'm sorry if this is so long, I just wanted to share any potentially relevant information! Thank you in advance!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he never uses the pet beds why not just move them out of your room?

Adding a couple more litterboxes in different places around the house might also help, there really should be 1 box per Cat, plus one extra. Though I suspect the reason they all want to use the box in your room may be because it's the only place the Dogs don't have access. If adding more litterboxes in other areas of the house doesn't work, try moving the extras into your room and see which one(s) they all prefer.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: All the same things that came to my mind. It would help to know before you and Monty moved in, were the other cats mostly in that room because of the dogs? It would seem to me that while Monty might like some of the other cats, he would still prefer to have some space of his own. I think he feels a bit 'intruded upon'.