Cat peeing in dry food help

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Jackson peed in the dry cat food why did she do this? As soon as i caught her doing it i put her in the litter box and threw away the dry that was in the bowl the cat boxes are clean i dont know were to post this anyone have an idea why she did it? Thank you

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi sometimes cats will have a urinary problem.Something not picked up by us humans.Cats will go out of their way to make you notice.You have noticed.I recommend you take her to the vet & have a urinalysis done on her via cysto.Any new stressers at home? New kitty.New foods.New house.New baby?All stressors can play a role as to how your kitty feels.i see a mention of dry food.Dry food and I belong tot he FLUTD group ,you can google it.Feline flutd symptoms can exacerbate UTI'S etc.you need to rule out there is no infection & then move forward looking to see if it is a behavioral thing.You will not know if she has something going on in her urinary tract.Only a urine test being done looking for blood,ketones,bacteria etc.If bacteria is found make sure you tell them to do a culture & sensitivity test done.Don't go with convenia ever.Which comes in injection form.Say no to convenia.IMO.they will if told grow the urine sample bacteria to find out just what type of bacteria it is and then use meds called the sensitivity test to see what this bacterial strain is sensitive too.What will kill it in other words.Cats drink very little water & we can't stress enough.The lowest quality canned food is well preferred and more healthy than the most expensive dry form.You can say you see your kitty drinking a lot.it means nothing without a urine test unfortunately.You can read this here.www.catinfo.org

HTH C.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing to do is get her checked by a vet for urinary issues. Litterbox problems often have a physical cause.

Stress is the other possibility - in this case, I'd guess it's territorial stress/insecurity.

Hydration is really important for cats, as they've evolved to have a very low thirst drive (they're designed to get around 80 % of their fluid intake from their food). If you feed any amount of dry, it's important to compensate for its lack of moisture. The easiest way to do this is to add some water to the wet food. Other options are water fountains and (homemade) flavoured waters. If feeding an all dry diet, your cat needs roughly one cup (250mls) of water a day.[article="32366"][/article]

[article="32341"][/article][article="30274"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="30756"][/article][article="32493"][/article][article="29715"][/article]

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the bowl large enough that she thought it was a litter box? Maybe she thought those little hard things were litter? The only other thing I can think of is that she didn't like the food! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To everyone she is almost 3 mos old not fixed bc not old enough IMO she is the newest cat in the house born in the closet the bowl was a 20 cupper she ate the food and then went pee in it then i switched to a paper plate i think she did it bc another wet spot was in the dry then i put down 2 cup bowls and i havent seen wet spots since also no new babies no new people living with us everything is the same will except one family member did pass idk if that has to do with it also all my cats get no grain dry right now they are getting nutro no grain before that was NVI and Before grain she gets wet twice a day between 3 different brands kroger ,friskies ,9lives etc and whats wrongs with convenia? Jw what about baytril ? Most of mikaelas kittens are allergic to clavamox so if Jackson gets antibiotics im going with something thats not clavamox anyway i havent seen any new wet spots anywere she been going to the litter eats the dry just fine dry fine eats wet fine she is energetic playful etc doesnt act sick

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Given her young age, it sounds like she's just taking a little longer than some for the litter training to totally click. Give her a little more time - she should work it out soon enough.