Cat peeing-help!!

dwidget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I am in desperate need of some suggestions or ideas to help stop my cat from peeing! Here’s some information:
She’s a 15 year old calico and she’s always liked peeing outside the box. If she can find a spot, especially if it’s soft or carpeted, she will go for it. Over the years, we’ve created barricades for these areas we’ve found and have been able to some what corral her. That was in an apartment-now we’re in a house and space is so much more.
We’ve tried all kinds of litter and have found she prefers low-dust, no scent. Great. We can do that! We have 5 cats in total, so we currently have 7 boxes. Check! We scoop litter in all boxes everyday. We thought maybe having a lid on the boxes was bothering her, so we rigged them to have sides and be open on top. The previous owners had a dog and that dog had peed in the one carpeted room of the house, so once we moved in she smelt that and started marking it too (which I get). We tried cleaning and using enzyme spray on that carpet and eventually realized that it’s not working so we ripped up the carpet, coated the floor in some sort of stuff that locks in the past odor, and are currently redoing that room with laminate floors. We’ve taken her to the vet, and she’s in great health! And here’s the kicker-she uses the boxes to POOP in. The only time she poops outside is when the odd times we haven’t scooped each day (we’re sick, at work late, etc). So she had no problem going in the box and pooping, but peeing is just a no go for her.
I don’t know what else I can try! As we’re redoing these floors, we caught her peeing on a towel, on a small pillow, and a piece of felt. It’s driving me crazy! I was thinking if the issue is she likes peeing on soft surfaces, maybe I can get pee pads and place them by the boxes and just throw them out each day. I just am out of ideas!
Do any of you have any tips or solutions, things I can look into, etc? I’ll try anything at this point! Thank you all for any help you can give-I greatly appreciate it!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though peeing outside of the litterbox is a long time habit for her, given her age she need a full senior blood panel done and a vet check just to make sure she doesn’t have something medical going on. I would also try the pee pads. It certainly would be easier to cleanup .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dwidget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! My first concern was health too, especially with her age. We took her to the vet 2 weeks ago and had a full work up done, and she’s in fantastic health with no issues. I’m hoping pee pads may help make it easier to clean up at least.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Since she has been doing this for a long time, there probably isn't a permanent solution. But, it does seem that it could involve the position she holds when she pees (vs. poops) and maybe doesn't like the litter touching her behind? You could set up a baby cam to see if you can tell a difference between how she holds herself when going 'both ways'. Having said that, another idea - using the puppy pee pads mentioned above - would be to try to place them inside a litter box and see if she will use a box that way. You could even try a large sized cardboard box lid to start with. If nothing else, if she would choose to use a pad lined box, perhaps no more peeing in other non-box locations.

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
D dwidget the pee pads are a great idea. When we first adopted Maui she was 3 years old and acted the same way. She took to the pee pads immediately when trying to train her to go in her litter box!

Like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, it's probably unlikely you'd get her trained to use a litter box consistently at this point. But if you can get her on the puppy pads I think it will be a win-win.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have low sided litter boxes for her? You are cleaning with an enzyme cleaner correct and using a blacklight to find all the spots? Have you tried retraining by placing her in one room with 2 litter boxes and cat attract? And the litter boxes are placed all around the house and on different levels correct? Basement or going up/down the stairs would probably be too hard on her joints.