Cat Peeing for the last 2 years. Pretty sure its behavior but running out of ideas

Vexas009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First things first. She's been to the vet several times already. They've never found anything wrong with her and believe it is anxiety related.

We have two cats, both are spayed and neutered. The problem child is 5 years. The first eight months we had her we never had this issue. It randomly started one day when I found pee on our book bag.

She was constantly peeing on our bed or clothes we would leave on the floor. Eventually found out she'd been peeing on the bathroom mat or the welcome mat in the kitchen. When we were trying to figure out which cat it was, we isolated her in a room with no carpets, her cat bed that she always used, and a litter box. Almost immediately she chose to pee in her bed and not the box.

At this house we tried everything from multiple boxes, anxiety medicine, wet food, water fountain, feliaway. Nothing fixed it.

We have since moved and her issue still continues. We are trying to get more aggressive with figuring out the issue and this is what I've figured out so far.

Our new place has more places for litter boxes, so they are more spread out. We switched to grass seed litter, are trying the feliaway and a comfort zone collar as well (since using these two things shes definitely more relaxed now, but still peeing).we are using 3 boxes, though they rarely ever use the one in the bathroom. Since there's more carpet in the areas, this is what I've noticed this time.

Places she's peed
-in front of her food dish. I've since moved the dishes in different areas of the kitchen (leaving one in the og spot). She hasn't peed by the new location but has by the old dish still.

- in front of both litter boxes. (The one in the bathroom had a matt).

-in front of the apartment door. I put a litter box there and since then I haven't seen her pee there.

- in front of my office door. I work from home and she's peed in that hallway. There is no space for a box there without tripping over it so that's out of the question. I've tried leaving my door open when working which she loves. But the moment I leave the office and close it for lunch she'll pee in front of that door again.

-she used to pee on our bed all the time. Since our bedroom has a door she hasn't peed there again since. But the other day she ran into the bedroom when I opened the door went into the corner. I picked her up cause I knew she was going to pee and she started urinating while I was holding her. This is the one that has me concerned.

I'm not sure what else to try. I'm going to call another vet but every vet I've talked to has told me they wont figure it out and it's probably behavioral and they won't be able to fix it. I should note she poops in the boxes and never goes outside of them to poop. Only pee. I have seen her pee a few times in the boxes. Emptying the boxes isn't the issue. I've caught her doing it an hour after all 3 have been emptied and I've caught her doing it the next day while they are still empty as well.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Heya, sorry that you’re having this issue. Just to have a better idea — how has your cat been tested at the vet? Urine sample (straight from the bladder) analysis and ultrasound are a necessity, imo, given your kitty’s symptoms and how long they’ve been going on. If she’s not had both, I’d encourage you to fully rule out health issues before tackling behavioral causes. Sounds like it might be cystitis (bladder inflammation caused by stress) or perhaps recurrent UTIs.

Was she spayed as a kitten or an adult,do you know?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vexas009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heya, sorry that you’re having this issue. Just to have a better idea — how has your cat been tested at the vet? Urine sample (straight from the bladder) analysis and ultrasound are a necessity, imo, given your kitty’s symptoms and how long they’ve been going on. If she’s not had both, I’d encourage you to fully rule out health issues before tackling behavioral causes. Sounds like it might be cystitis (bladder inflammation caused by stress) or perhaps recurrent UTIs.

Was she spayed as a kitten or an adult,do you know?
I'm not certain when she was spayed. We got her from a shelter when she was two.

So the first vet we took her too did a urinalysis straight from the bladder. He said the urine looked strong in concentration and then called it that stress thing you said.

The second 2 vets we took her too did not do blood. the first time they said there was mild cocci (its whats on the records) but they believed it was FLUTD. The second time we took her there (the most recent time avout 9 months ago now) they did an Ultrasound and said the bladder was too small for a cysto, so couldn't rule out crystals but based on last two times they didn't think was the case. They didn't get a Urinalysis the second time due to her getting agitated (the notes said elevated FAS. Not sure what that is, but she ended up peeing all over my jacket once they brought her back to the room).

All the vets said it was a stress thing. The last vet I called a week ago wanted to charge 160 just for a urinalysis and wouldn't do blood work, so I'm still calling around to see a different vet. I'm not confident they will find anything but have to rule out the stuff to be safe.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
FLUTD in itself isn’t a diagnosis. I strongly encourage you to pursue another vet opinion, as her issues are likely health related.

Id strongly suggest joining this group, they have a huge amount of resources for helping cats with urinary disease.