Cat Peeing for Attention

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

Does anyone have advice how to stop a cat from peeing for attention. Vet has ruled out any medical issues. Many thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost always, if it isn't a UTI, it is from anxiety about something. Cats do not urinate for attention, they do have a reason, such as a new cat/animal seen from the window or introduced into the household, moving, new people in the house, hearing something upsetting ever day, new litter or box, some change in his normal routine. The trick is to find out what it is and get him used to it or eliminate it.
My neutered male started urinating around the house when we moved and there were cats outside around the house. It took him many months to stop. But he DID stop. Make sure there are several litter boxes around and get a good enzyme cleaner. I got a black light flashlight to look fro spots I might have missed to. Do it at night when it is dark and urine spots light up. I also got clear plastic carpet protector with those little nubs on the back and cut it and put it nub side up in his favorite peeing spots. It hurts their feet and they avoid the area. It is easily moved when company comes and is much less visible. It really works. I hope you find out what it is!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the vet did a urine analysis AND culture? No crystals, infection or signs of cystitis? How is kitty's pooping?

How, when and where does s/he pee? Knowing the circumstances of that will help us determine what might be the issue.
For example, does s/he always pee in the same spot? hard surfaces vs soft? on or around the perimeter of your home (near windows/doors)?
How many litter boxes do you have, and what type of litter do you use?
Is your kitty de-clawed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
Vet checed for infection, crystals etc with urine test. She pee's in randam places but only when the owners are there and in the day. ...usually in front of them. Sometimes she will do a quick meow and go off and pee - hence attention. She is not de-clawed, has 2. large litter boxes and they have tried different litters. but as she uses them in the night we are thinking its either stress or attention. They are in a large warehouse with large windows. She has also been know to pee on one of the owners shoes. She will also try and pee in pot plants... so it doesn't seem like a particular surface. She has a very strict routine with lots of long play sessions. She loves to go on walks with a harness and besides this behaviour is a very loving chilled out cat. The pee is cleaned using a pee and spray cleaning solution.

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the vet did a urine analysis AND culture? No crystals, infection or signs of cystitis? How is kitty's pooping?

How, when and where does s/he pee? Knowing the circumstances of that will help us determine what might be the issue.
For example, does s/he always pee in the same spot? hard surfaces vs soft? on or around the perimeter of your home (near windows/doors)?
How many litter boxes do you have, and what type of litter do you use?
Is your kitty de-clawed?
replied below - thank you

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are in a large warehouse with large windows.
She has also been know to pee on one of the owners shoes.
They live in a warehouse, or just the litter boxes are there? Do they have litter boxes in the main part of the house? Perhaps the cat is trying to mix her scent WITH her owners. Does she have many things in the house where the owners spend most of their time, that can hold her scent, and be blended with the owners? Is the cat allowed access to ALL parts the the home?
I wonder if she is feeling insecure with her bond with the one owner. Perhaps that person smells different after coming home (hence the shoe peeing). But what can happen is they will pee on surfaces heavily scented with the person they are trying to bond/blend scents) with.
Do all people in the home partake in the long play sessions and feeding schedule?
Perhaps using feliway pheromone spray would be useful in this situation.
She will also try and pee in pot plants
I have heard that covering the dirt with large irregular rocks and help deter that behavior.

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They live in a warehouse, or just the litter boxes are there? Do they have litter boxes in the main part of the house? Perhaps the cat is trying to mix her scent WITH her owners. Does she have many things in the house where the owners spend most of their time, that can hold her scent, and be blended with the owners? Is the cat allowed access to ALL parts the the home?
I wonder if she is feeling insecure with her bond with the one owner. Perhaps that person smells different after coming home (hence the shoe peeing). But what can happen is they will pee on surfaces heavily scented with the person they are trying to bond/blend scents) with.
Do all people in the home partake in the long play sessions and feeding schedule?
Perhaps using feliway pheromone spray would be useful in this situation.

I have heard that covering the dirt with large irregular rocks and help deter that behavior.
Hi Jem, thank you for this. Im thinking the same as you about one of the owners - however they both give her. 50/50 attention with playing and feeding although the man gives her her treat in the morning. The man also started to go back to work when this happened but is home a lot. Female home all the time. The female owner was the one who's shoes she peed on . They live in a warehouse type of apartment with 2 bedrooms. ITs huge and she has access to all areas and one litterbox in bathroom the other in a quiet corner. They have feliway and the cat just started to go on zylkene while we figure out whats wrong. THis morning husband got up feed the treat and pills which she loves, they both did a 30 min exercise with her, the minute they sat down to drink coffee the cat meowed at them at then went to pot plant to pee, the male then picked her up and put in the bathroom - not the litter try. the cat then ran out and meowed and pee'd in her play tunnel. Im in two minds if they should start ignoring her pee'ing? Scratching head on this one. So thank you for helping me.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So thank you for helping me.
You're very welcome! That's why we are all here.
I have to run errands, so I'm going to mull on this a bit more.....
Hopefully more will see your thread and contribute their thoughts too.
Cats peeing due to "behavior" can be SO challenging...but if this is a new thing, I'm sure it can be corrected.
:hugs:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don’t pee for attention.

She might have separation anxiety. Since they have gone to the vet & tried many things .... perhaps prozac or an anti anxiety medication will help? In the meantime an enzyme cleaner, more boxes, cat attract litter & a routine/ daily schedule may help.

Hang in there, eventually they will figure out what she is trying to tell her humans.

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats don’t pee for attention.

She might have separation anxiety. Since they have gone to the vet & tried many things .... perhaps prozac or an anti anxiety medication will help? In the meantime an enzyme cleaner, more boxes, cat attract litter & a routine/ daily schedule may help.

Hang in there, eventually they will figure out what she is trying to tell her humans.
I gather it happened before the male went back to work. she seems to meow prior - and last night pee'd in the bath tub. She is also meowing a lot prior - quite loud. poor thing. i think maybe another vet. What you suggest they do when they see her pee? I've suggested they say no but she just seems to run somewhere else and do it. Maybe another vet check with blood work? she is currently taking zylkene

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you suggest they do when they see her pee?
It does not seem like they have done this, but I'll say it anyway, I would for sure NOT reprimand her or approach her in an "aggressive" (yell, stomp over to her, etc) manner to get her to stop.
If they are getting a "warning" from her with her meowing, perhaps they could call her name and distract her some way...would she follow them...to perhaps the litter box? Then they could give her a treat every time she uses the litter box.
When she pees "for them", are they full pees or just little dribbles? Does she squat like usual, or is she straining, lifting her tail, standing up, etc...

For the time being, I think they need to put out litter boxes in all the main rooms of the house. In areas where it seems like she tends to favor for her peeing. Near the potted plant that she likes, for example. I remember when one of my boys developed litter aversion and I had to keep a litter box in the middle of my kitchen, right next to my kitchen island. So I get how unfavorable it is to have litter boxes in undesirable areas, but sometimes it just needs to be done, and it's usually not forever.
Perhaps put a layer of the cat attract litter on top.

And I would agree with another vet visit. Have them check for signs of cystitis and not just for a UTI.

How is her pooping?

I hope the zylkene starts to work soon. I have just acquired this as well for my girl, who has developed separation anxiety post lockdown. She has been over-grooming. The receptionist at the vet said that she has used it personally and that it worked very well for her cat and dog. But says that it can take between 1-2 weeks before starting to work, so be patient.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, take no action or at most call her to a litter box. I also think more litter boxes are key. You can get them for cheap. I had to live with a litter box on the fridge for a while & it was awful! 🤢 but like all things, this to will pass. It would have been a lot shorter if I had put the bully on prozac but I didn’t know about that then!

Zycline if I remember is a an extra vitamin that seems to work half the time. If they think it is anxiety I would try anti-anxiety meds or prozac. Living in that super stressed out &/or terrified state is NOT fun for her! Some cats just have a chemical imbalance in their brain, like people.

I also think they should research separation anxiety & see what they can do to help her. Maybe they should be reading & posting?

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, take no action or at most call her to a litter box. I also think more litter boxes are key. You can get them for cheap. I had to live with a litter box on the fridge for a while & it was awful! 🤢 but like all things, this to will pass. It would have been a lot shorter if I had put the bully on prozac but I didn’t know about that then!

Zycline if I remember is a an extra vitamin that seems to work half the time. If they think it is anxiety I would try anti-anxiety meds or prozac. Living in that super stressed out &/or terrified state is NOT fun for her! Some cats just have a chemical imbalance in their brain, like people.

I also think they should research separation anxiety & see what they can do to help her. Maybe they should be reading & posting?
Completely agree and they are doing all of the above. thank you

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does not seem like they have done this, but I'll say it anyway, I would for sure NOT reprimand her or approach her in an "aggressive" (yell, stomp over to her, etc) manner to get her to stop.
If they are getting a "warning" from her with her meowing, perhaps they could call her name and distract her some way...would she follow them...to perhaps the litter box? Then they could give her a treat every time she uses the litter box.
When she pees "for them", are they full pees or just little dribbles? Does she squat like usual, or is she straining, lifting her tail, standing up, etc...

For the time being, I think they need to put out litter boxes in all the main rooms of the house. In areas where it seems like she tends to favor for her peeing. Near the potted plant that she likes, for example. I remember when one of my boys developed litter aversion and I had to keep a litter box in the middle of my kitchen, right next to my kitchen island. So I get how unfavorable it is to have litter boxes in undesirable areas, but sometimes it just needs to be done, and it's usually not forever.
Perhaps put a layer of the cat attract litter on top.

And I would agree with another vet visit. Have them check for signs of cystitis and not just for a UTI.

How is her pooping?

I hope the zylkene starts to work soon. I have just acquired this as well for my girl, who has developed separation anxiety post lockdown. She has been over-grooming. The receptionist at the vet said that she has used it personally and that it worked very well for her cat and dog. But says that it can take between 1-2 weeks before starting to work, so be patient.
thank you for this. Agree and have suggested they use the name instead of a no. I've asked them for video of the cat in action as such so will let you know . thank you again. your help has been invaluable