Cat Peeing Everywhere

Lady BB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6 months ago I purchased a home and moved in. About a month in my 1.5 year old cat started waking me in the middle of the night scratching at my bathroom sink. She had peed in the sink. I started closing the bathroom door so that she couldn't do that anymore. She would wake me (and still does) everynight scratching at the bathroom door... after closing off the bathroom she started peeing in the kitchen sink. I cleaned them with vinigar. That did nothing. What started out as peeing in the sink has led to her peeing in corners of rooms, on lamp bases, any dish that is left out, dogs food bowl, suite cases, candles (yes, she pees in my candles).. there is no limit anymore. I have purchased calming collars, calming oil plugins, cleaned with vinigar and even urine sprays. At this point I'm lost.. the last thing I want to do is get rid of my cat; I need a solution. I have 2 cats and 1 dog. There are two liter boxes. She has not been fixed. Please advise, its driving me crazy!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with IndyJones IndyJones that hormones are likely a large part of the problem here. Getting her spayed should help a lot, as she'll be far less likely to scent mark in this way. A vet check is a good idea in any case, as there's likely a physical cause behind this problem. Adding in an extra litterbox or two may help as well.
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First step is to take her to the Vet and have them check her urine (do a Urinalysis), to test for a urinary tract infection. The #1 cause of cat peeing in inappropriate places is a urinary tract infection. Sinks and tubs are common places they'll go, for some reason. As in humans, a urinary tract infection is very painful and uncomfortable and a cat with a UTI will begin to associate the discomfort with their litterbox and will being to pee elsewhere. A UTI left untreated can result in kidney damage. Please start off by a trip to the Vet. They'll collect a urine sample and test it for bacteria and then prescribe a proper antibiotic if there is bacteria.

Sometimes a move to a new home is very stressful to a cat, the whole change in environment......and stress can cause a UTI (just like in humans).

Curious too if your new home was previously a home with a cat, and she's smelling the previous owner/renter's cat and is going around marking her territory.

Please, start with a trip to the Vet ASAP.

And you'll need to really thoroughly clean the areas she's peed.......with special cleaners that contain "enzymes" designed to break down cat urine. Urine-Off is a good one (order it on Amazon). Vinegar really isn't going to get rid of the urine scent (maybe to u but not to the cat, their sense of smell is 10x better than humans and they'll keep returning to a place they've peed if they can still smell the urine scent) in things like carpet, fabric, etc.