Cat Peeing Everywhere, Please Help!!

cjrom1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!
My cat is a 14 year old male, and I'm not sure of his breed because my parents found him as a stray. He's always been very timid and shy, and a little different than other cats. He doesn't bite or attack, and we also have a VERY close bond. He hates my dad, is okay with my mom, and absolutely loves me. So the issue we're having is that he keeps peeing all around the house. He ruined the living room couch from peeing on it so much, he now keeps peeing on my dad's side of the bed, and he'll pee on any clothes on the floor. However, he doesn't pee on any of my stuff! He sleeps in my room and stays in there all day, and I can leave any clothes on the floor and he won't even care. But, he will pee on anything that's not mine. He also has three litter boxes that we keep very clean. So I'm just not sure what the problem is. I feel so bad for my parents that they have to keep dealing with this while I am completely unaffected. So if anyone has any type of idea as to why he's acting like this please let me know :). Thank you!

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long has this been happening? Does is pee in the litter box at all?How long have you had the current box, have you changed litter brands recently?

Often this behavior is an indicator of a medical problem, getting a blood and urine test is a good idea, you cat is at the right age to be have those issues.

Box issues are alsp common, they can get sick of the box or brand of litter (allergies to scented litter is also common). Buying a new larger litter box with different brand of litter (unscented) might fix his problem.

I had the same issue 2 vets insisted it was a kidney issue til the tests came back clean. It turns out my cat no longer liked enclosed boxes and had an issue with clay clumping litter. I made him a giant box and crystal litter (fresh step makes it, I used the walmart brand vibrant life).

I yill recomend a vet doing a full check up rule out physical problems.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There can be lots of reasons. Is he neutered? That could be a factor if he isn’t. Has he had a vet check lately? A urinary tract issue could also be involved. UTI’s are common in male kitties and it something to check out. You say he dislikes Dad? He may feel Dad dislikes him and as a cat he feels insecure and like he needs to mark territory in order to be safe. Any chance Dad has ever raised his voice around the kitty? That could be scary to a cat since humans tower over them. If Dad could make a little effort to bond with kitty it could make a big difference. I know that’s probably asking a lot given the circumstances but if Dad understands it could help to end the peeing episodes, might work! You can also try other types of litter to see if that helps. Taking something he likes to pee on and putting it in the box could lead him there. A calming product may help as well. Putting Felliway diffusers where he marks can help. Check first for a UTI and urinary issues with the vet to rule that out and then go from there. We actually see similar issues here so tell your parents not to give up! Keep posting with progress reports because many of us have dealt with these problems and I’m sure others will be along with more helpful information. If your parents get too upset, it might be time to isolate kitty in your room until this gets straightened out. Kitty obviously feels secure there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjrom1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long has this been happening? Does is pee in the litter box at all?How long have you had the current box, have you changed litter brands recently?

Often this behavior is an indicator of a medical problem, getting a blood and urine test is a good idea, you cat is at the right age to be have those issues.

Box issues are alsp common, they can get sick of the box or brand of litter (allergies to scented litter is also common). Buying a new larger litter box with different brand of litter (unscented) might fix his problem.

I had the same issue 2 vets insisted it was a kidney issue til the tests came back clean. It turns out my cat no longer liked enclosed boxes and had an issue with clay clumping litter. I made him a giant box and crystal litter (fresh step makes it, I used the walmart brand vibrant life).

I yill recomend a vet doing a full check up rule out physical problems.
Its been happening for a few years now. He does pee in his litter box sometimes, but it seems like once no ones looking he'll pee on the couch or somewhere he's not supposed to. I will definitely look into maybe changing his litter box or litter. Although he has three litter boxes, they're all the same enclosed type. Maybe he would like a different type better.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its been happening for a few years now. He does pee in his litter box sometimes, but it seems like once no ones looking he'll pee on the couch or somewhere he's not supposed to. I will definitely look into maybe changing his litter box or litter. Although he has three litter boxes, they're all the same enclosed type. Maybe he would like a different type better.
My kitty lifts his tail and sprays straight back when he pees. His "litter box" is an 18gallon tote, with one end cut down to 7" so he can get in and out.

Just like you, my cat would pee when no one was around, he still has some moment but changing the box and litter mad a world of different.

(tote I use looks like this, the other cats use the normal box with any clumping litter. Luke only poops in the normal box)

92400863_212327813539957_8300811064514183168_n.jpg

4lb of walmarts crystal litter is $4, a big tote is $5. If you dont already have a saw, a dollar store one will do. Small price compared to the other solutions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjrom1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There can be lots of reasons. Is he neutered? That could be a factor if he isn’t. Has he had a vet check lately? A urinary tract issue could also be involved. UTI’s are common in male kitties and it something to check out. You say he dislikes Dad? He may feel Dad dislikes him and as a cat he feels insecure and like he needs to mark territory in order to be safe. Any chance Dad has ever raised his voice around the kitty? That could be scary to a cat since humans tower over them. If Dad could make a little effort to bond with kitty it could make a big difference. I know that’s probably asking a lot given the circumstances but if Dad understands it could help to end the peeing episodes, might work! You can also try other types of litter to see if that helps. Taking something he likes to pee on and putting it in the box could lead him there. A calming product may help as well. Putting Felliway diffusers where he marks can help. Check first for a UTI and urinary issues with the vet to rule that out and then go from there. We actually see similar issues here so tell your parents not to give up! Keep posting with progress reports because many of us have dealt with these problems and I’m sure others will be along with more helpful information. If your parents get too upset, it might be time to isolate kitty in your room until this gets straightened out. Kitty obviously feels secure there.
He is neutered , and no he hasn't been to the vet in a long time :(. And yes he definitely doesn't like my dad. I've been telling him he has to be nicer to Bubby (our cat)! He doesn't really raise his voice, but he definitely makes Bubby uncomfortable and nervous. I will let my dad know that he has to start being kinder to him. I will also be sure to check out the vet and also those felliway diffusers and keep you updated on how Bubby is reacting to everything :).

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping something there solves the problem. It may take some time to figure it all out but keep investigating to make kitty more comfortable. :heartshape: