Cat Peeing During Fights

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have two cats: Betsy which is about 3.5 and Stella which is about 1.2. I got Stella about 10 month ago. It took along time till I could leave them alone together (more then 6 month). Now Stella mostly lives in my kitchen (she adventures, but she stays in the kitchen most of the time).
They still fight and Betsy tends to chase Stella when she adventures. and sometimes when they fight, Stella will pee and poop during. I thought it's because the cat box is too far away so i moved it close to the kitchen, and I know she uses it.
But still every now and then I get home and I find pee and poop (and may I remained Stella prefers the kitchen).
I bought feliway a few month ago and it is located in the kitchen. When I'm home I intervene before the fights get bad, and If they still do, i lock Betsy (since she's the one attacking) in the bedroom for a while.
Is there any thing else I could do?

(pics- Stella on the microwave and Betsy on the kitchen table)

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pee and poop are probably because of fear or an attempt to put Betsy off. A marking of some territory. This is deemed necessary if a kitty feels threatened. I would try putting Feliway wherever Betsy stays since she is the aggressor.You can try working with the two together. Play sessions together where they both interact with you. You supervise the behavior. If one becomes afraid, offer comfort, if one becomes aggressive, you tell them no and try to distract them. Don’t grab a fighting cat. Use a large piece of cardboard or a broom to place between them instead. There could be some jealousy. Make sure you give lots of private attention to both. Betsy may feel that the younger cat is being favored. They can be like children sometimes. You can also make sure each kitty has someplace to think of as their own house. I use small cat carriers. If there is an argument the kitties retreat to their own carrier/house and the other cat can’t enter since there is only room for one. I offer each kitty treats in their own house to get them used to it and feeling that this is a secure place for them. A simple box will work too. If this does not help then please Prost again. There are other things that can be done to help. I’m sure others will respond with ideas too. Don’t give up. It’s just a matter of getting the kitties to establish their position in the household.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll try those

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Jcatbird Jcatbird . But, how did you introduce them in the first place? Are there any techniques that you could use from these TCS articles?

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Why Do Cats Attack?

I know the above links to articles seem daunting, but they are actually pretty easy reads.

I would also find a way to keep them separated when you are not at home. Having unsupervised time together at this point is only making the problem worse. That is because, you can't implement any sort of program for them that is consistent - what happens when you are not there vs. what happens when you are there can't possibly be the same. No consistency = no results.

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both.
Jcatbird Jcatbird
For the feliwey- Its in the entrance to the kitchen and I don't have a door between the kitchen and living room.
I put the carrier in the kitchen and Stella does hide in it (Betsy hates it so she won't go in but will attack it from the outside), so thank's for that tip.
The only time I separated them by hand was when they fought on my bed in the middle of the night and I was too asleep to realize what i'm doing (got bitten).
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner
I did introduce them badly and then reintroduced them (with a lot of help from this site) over the course of 6 month in which they were separated. I read two of the links you sent me- I'll read the ones about fighting and jealousy now.

They don't fight all the time. There was even a week I woke up every morning with both of them in bed with me. (i added a picture of them waiting for me to go to sleep)

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful kitties. Betsy looks like she is hoping Stella won’t get in the bed. For the looks of things there I think you’ll be able to get them to have a truce. They may not always be best buddies but time, good introductions and patience and I think they’ll be okay. Stella has her safe hiding place so that’s a big plus. Reading those links should help. You’re doing a lot to get things calm so just keep working with them. They might surprise you!

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
I really hope they will have a trucj, especially for poor little Stella.

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I stopped trying to figure out why the fight. And it's not always. And i figured the peeing is still just when they fight. Cause it's once in a while and I see the kitten using the litter box. But today something new happened. I was on the couch with the kitten when all of a sudden I smelt pee and realized my leg is getting warm. She peed on the blanket next to me. On purpose!!! The cat wasn't fighting her, she had a clear path to the litter box. Yet she peed on me... She's marking her territory?

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's not really a kitten any more. She's about a year and four month and she's been here for nearly a year

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I wondered how you were all doing! Are things better now? If they still want to get your attention for themselves and they still battle for position, it can totally be an attempt to claim you. Each one needs to feel secure and marking you will help her to feel she belongs. You always want to make sure she does not have any issue with urinary problems too. Is she doing this a lot now? Just this once? Still peeing during fights? If she still pees out of fear or battle marking then it sounds like just marking. If this is different then you might want to get her checked by a vet. If she is avoiding going to the water dish because of tension or anxiety, make sure she has water in her safe spot. It’s hard for them to drink and watch for attacks. Not drinking enough can lead to problems. Wet food helps to hydrate. A urinary tract issue is usually a simple antibiotic treatment. Keep an eye on her for repeats of this. Keep us posted!

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has no problem getting to water and food. Her bathroom goings are good. She used to pee only in the kitchen and the it was usually during fights. In the last few weeks she peed in the living room only. I thought it was because she was staying there more so they started fighting there ( which they do.
But then yesterday happened. She was calm and the older cat was asleep in the bedroom. So I guess she is marking. Now that I think of that some of the puddles I found in the living room didn't look like they are the result of a fight, they were a puddle with no smears. When she pees during fights she usually smeared it while trying to run or hide.
Is an attempt to claim me is a good or bad sign?

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I be worried that the older cat is gonna start marking things as well?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the older cat has already established dominance. Your other baby is the one who feels insecure. Marking isn’t a bad sign. It’s just her need to be integrated into the family. If puddles are everywhere, that does make me wonder a bit if she could have a little urinary issue. If you can, a call to the vet would clear up that question. Does her pee have a very strong odor or a darker color? That would be another clue. If she is marking you then it’s just her way of saying,” this is my home too. See! Please let me have a place in this family.“ I hope she will soon stop and feel she can be near you without having to establish with the other kitty that she can be petted too. I’m glad she finally feels she can come out of the kitchen. That’s great news.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once the UTI is checked out, consider putting a litter box in the living room. There are some very decorative ones (yeah, I know, but there really are) that are appear to be little cabinets. If the box is there, her scent is there (hopefully at a level cats but not humans can smell) and she may feel her marking is done.

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry it took me so long to update. I had to replace my computer (it got peed on). and then work got in the way.
One night after they had a fight and stella peed on my bed twice i went online and restocked my fleiway supply.
I sprayed under the couch (which was a major peeing area) and there wasn't another under the couch incident since.
there was a least one peeing incident in the kitchen.
the last day and a half were harsh (i'm bruised), could it be the fact that the weather changed repidly?
today after betsy jumped on stella and got her nail stuck in her (at least that how it looked, i couldn't see a wound) I tried putting the calming collor on betsy. She got super nervous and ran crazily around the house, she only calmed down after it fell. Any one got any experievnce with those?
Sorry for my terrible english today, i'm super tired.
Thank you to everyone that reads that and is helping me.

also stella had her annual check up, she's fine.
Jcatbird- she's not afraid to come to me, she excaly runs to me and cuddles with me when they start fighting.

(i added a picture of stella calmly sleeping on my stomach, two pictures of her using my pillows as a defense, a semi-rare picture of the two of them calmly sleeping on the couch together, and an adorable picture of betsy cause shes actually cute and not the mean cat i accidently make her sound)

Attachments

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it's mentioned but is she spayed? If not make sure to get it done. Unaltered animals will spray more than fixed ones.

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Their both spayed.

And the tale contiunes.
This morning I was woken up at 4 AM with a nail to the head. Stella was trying to hide behind the pillows but got stuck in my hair.
when I was trying to move Betsy away, Stella pooped on my bed.....
I removed the sheets and took them to the washing machine, put new sheets on and then Stella decided to pee.....

My life with these two is finding ways to keep things from getting covered in piss and poop.

But, this eveing when I made myself a tuna salad, they both came to the kitchen and Stella sniffed Betsy's nose, and Betsy just stared at her but didn't do anything...
(Stella ate the left over tuna, even though Betsy got to it first. She sniffed it and walked away)

(pictures taken around midnight)

Attachments