Cat peeing blood with UTI

catmomv2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my boyfriend's cat is 9 years old and he got her a year ago, she's a very fat cat (18 pounds), and she has been on a diet since he got her since she was so large, about 3 days ago she started spotting blood in her pee, we took her to the vet immediately and they said she had a UTI, started her on some medication and we've been giving it to her, however the blood is clearly getting heavier and she's wetting the bed all the time, she's had troubles with peeing in the litter box since he got her so she usually goes on puppy pads but now she cant even seem to get to them. We're very concerned for her and would like some advice!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the very least give the vet a call and explain the situation. The vet may give you additional advice on home care or may want to see the cat again.

cat mom 8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A UTI hurts and the cat associates the pain with the litter box. They'll go where ever they think it won't hurt.
The UTI probably has crystals, which tears when a cat urinates, causing blood. It may have been so bad, it will
take a few days for the antibiotics to clear the crystals and/or infection. If this is day 3 of day 7 on medication, you
should start seeing results any time. If it's day 3 of day 10 or 14, it may take a while longer to see results. However,
you should call the vet, explain the situation and ask how long it will take the antibiotics to completely work.
Good Luck...hope kitty feels better soon.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As said above, it does take a while for the antibiotics to kick in, so that might be part of the issue. However, also as said above the blood very well could be from crystals and while antibiotics should get rid of the infection, it won't dissolve the crystals. I would call the vet about the increased blood, just so they know - and, also ask about the urinalysis test results - did it show crystals as well as an infection? Should the cat be given urinary care food to help dissolve the crystals - if they are struvite related. So, you also need to find out if it is struvite crystals or oxalate stones that are involved. Oxalate stones cannot be dissolved through urinary care food, but future ones can be prevented with some of these foods. If they are oxalate stones and they continue to accumulate, it can result in bladder surgery to remove them - as happened to Feeby about 10 years ago.

Was a urine culture done? Sometimes, vets don't do a culture - which is generally the way to ensure the most effective antibiotic is used for that particular strain of infection.

I am telling you all of this because you need to make sure you know what you are dealing with in terms of ongoing care for your bf's cat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with previous comments, especially since Fiona herself ended up with surgery to remove bladder stones. Continued discomfort and bleeding needs to be seen to by the vet and there is more information that you need from him. There needs to be further investigation.

Fiona, at the time, was a big girl and about the same age as your cat when she was diagnosed with the stones. It is very kind of you to have given a home to an older cat and I know that this can be frustrating as the symptoms will not go away if the treatment is not correct.

Definitely go back to the vet as you have to know the details posted by FeebysOwner FeebysOwner in order to deal with this. Unfortunately, antibiotics will not dissolve stones.