Cat Peed On The Floor

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just wondering if anyone has ever had a cat pee on their floor due to stress or being upset about them being out of town? We took a three day trip this weekend and did have our regular cat sitter check on the cats. Starbuck my 10 year old fixed female always hides from anyone but us. Last night she was laying on the floor in our den when my hubby was hanging out in room. She let out a strange meow and my hubby got up to pet her thinking she wanted attention but she peed on the floor before he got near her. After it happened she acted completely normal. She has not had any other accidents since last night and is eating normally. I did take her to the vet today to rule out a medical issue but will not know the results of the test until tomorrow since my vet does not have an in house lab. The vet did not see any signs of pain in Starbuck during the exam at all but did take a urine sample to rule out a UTI issue. My cat sitter did not find any pee or unexplained puddles on the floor while we were gone.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very possible that the stress of you being gone has caused a urinary tract infection. Is she going to the box more frequently or straining when she's in the box? Do you have a black light to look for other spots? Do you have any calming agents like Feliway you can use to help her de-stress?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats but I have not noticed her going to the litter box more often or seen her straining. My hubby said there were no signs that she was straining when she peed in front of him last night. We do have a black light and did not find any other spots. She is very vocal when she is stressed out and this only happened going to and from the vet visit. She has been acting completely normal outside of that. We expected her to be vocal in the car to and from the vet since she has had issues with car rides since we got her as a kitten. She is eating normally and has been behaving normally since all day. I am getting ready to go to bed and am going to pick her up and take her to bed with me like I normally do. She slept on the bed with us last night not to long after the peeing incident too. I guess I could try getting a Feliway Difuser to use next time we travel. My cat sitter uses them and would certainly be able to make sure it stays working while we are gone. I am hoping to have some answers from the vet tomorrow. The vet's office will call my hubby tomorrow since I am hard to reach at work. My hubby will let me know as soon as he hears anything. I work retail and we are not supposed to take personal calls on the clock but I am working with a really good manager tomorrow so she will give me time to talk to my hubby when he calls.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if Bob startled her when he got up to pet her. If she was startled, she might have involuntarily peed. My cats can startle for the most benign reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if Bob startled her when he got up to pet her. If she was startled, she might have involuntarily peed. My cats can startle for the most benign reasons.
You may be right the vet called and she does not have a UTI. She has also not peed on the floor again.