Cat Peed in My Bed

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Firstly, I will contact the vet about this Tuesday (they're not in Monday).

I just want to get an opinion about this.

I had my 8 y/o spayed female in my bedroom with me with the door shut, no other cats in there. She was on the bed and I had my back turned to her. I had turned to look at her, then turned back to the TV, and about 30-60 seconds later I heard a suspicious sound. I felt the bed and didn't feel anything but faintly smelled urine. I checked the bed more thoroughly and sure enough she had peed on it. Thankfully it just went through the fitted sheet and not the mattress pad.

The thing that really bothers me is the fact that she never indicated that she needed to pee. She didn't meow or even go to the door. She just got up from her spot on the bed, walked over two feet and peed on the other side of the bed. AND, she did this twice within 4-5 hours. The second time was right after she ate some canned food (I fed her on the bed).

Last night she was in my room and all of a sudden she jumped off the window perch and acted crazy. I picked her up and took her to the litter box down the hall that she never uses. She got in it immediately and started peeing.

What do you all make of this? I'm certain my other cats would let me know if they needed to use the litter box. They'd most likely dig at the carpet or door, some of them might meow.

Does this sound like a behavioral issue more than a medical issue? Or is it too hard to tell? Either way, this does not seem normal to me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it is not normal, and it really sounds like she has the beginnings of a UTI, or urinary tract infection. They pee often and not in the litter box at times because they can not hold it. she may have a slight fever and a higher white blood cell count. If nothing is physically found, it may be behavioral, (but going twice in 4 hours does not sound like it) and because of something that is stressing her out. Maybe a new cat she can see out the window, new neighbors, some change in your household, or something the other cats have done to upset her. I would definitely take her in to rule out/in a UTI. We can help you with behavioral issues too when you find out. In the meantime, make sure she is getting plenty of water to drink, and there are supplements available to help with UTIs that you can get online to help prevent more.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would get her checked out as said above. But, if nothing is found, you might put a litter box in your bedroom. If one is available to her, she might just use it instead of your bed. She is getting older, and just like people her bladder 'ain't what it used to be'.