Cat passing

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday one of stray cats that I take care of passed away. I named him Binx. He was such a friendly and loving cat and I really really grew attached to him and my heart is broken. It was a very traumatic experience for him and for me. I noticed that he wasn’t acting normal the night before but just thought his tummy could have been upset from eating something. He wouldn’t eat or drink and he just wanted to lay down. I checked on him a few times throughout the night you could tell he wasn’t feeling good. In the morning I went to feed him and he wouldn’t move at all so I picked him up and tried to see if he would stand up and he couldn’t and just felt limp. After a few minutes he started meowing really loud it didn’t sound normal it sounded terrible like he was screaming and then after he threw up clear liquid. I moved him inside and was trying to get a hold of someone to help me. They were busy with work so it was a while before they got back to me. The vets were called but they didn’t answer they were closed for the thanksgiving holiday so I didn’t know what to do. Finally a family member got back to me and was able to contact the vet directly and get an emergency appointment but this all took about 2 hours and I could tell he was in pain. He would do the screaming meow sound at random times, he was laying on his side and wouldn’t move I could tell he was suffering. I went to the vet and they told me that he was in really bad shape that his body temperature was 93 or 96 I can’t remember I was too emotional. But that it was way too low and they weren’t sure what was wrong with him. He could have gotten hit by a car, internal bleeding, liver disease. They just weren’t sure. His gums were yellow which they said was a sign of shock. They could have tried to figure out the cause and try to treat him but the vet said that It would probably be pretty costly plus the emergency fee and it would be really hard to get his body temperature back to normal, that it’s rare when it gets as low as it was. I wasn’t the person paying for the vet visit but my mom was so I let the vet talk to her over the phone. We made the decision to put him to sleep. I have never had to do that before and I was alone. I just feel so terrible that he was suffering for so long that it’s my fault. I just don’t know what could have happened to him he was so full of life the previous days and it just hurts my heart. I feel terrible that we didn’t save him. I just really don’t know how to handle this.
5F0D0693-B1DC-4DA1-9FF5-0A4558D92162.jpeg
8C824D04-79C9-4715-AAA1-4B37151DEC8C.jpeg
8E45AFEF-106A-47BF-8FE2-7B34CF781061.jpeg
808BD629-91F8-4ED4-8A73-0FC12D8AAA55.jpeg

Francesca78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday one of stray cats that I take care of passed away. I named him Binx. He was such a friendly and loving cat and I really really grew attached to him and my heart is broken. It was a very traumatic experience for him and for me. I noticed that he wasn’t acting normal the night before but just thought his tummy could have been upset from eating something. He wouldn’t eat or drink and he just wanted to lay down. I checked on him a few times throughout the night you could tell he wasn’t feeling good. In the morning I went to feed him and he wouldn’t move at all so I picked him up and tried to see if he would stand up and he couldn’t and just felt limp. After a few minutes he started meowing really loud it didn’t sound normal it sounded terrible like he was screaming and then after he threw up clear liquid. I moved him inside and was trying to get a hold of someone to help me. They were busy with work so it was a while before they got back to me. The vets were called but they didn’t answer they were closed for the thanksgiving holiday so I didn’t know what to do. Finally a family member got back to me and was able to contact the vet directly and get an emergency appointment but this all took about 2 hours and I could tell he was in pain. He would do the screaming meow sound at random times, he was laying on his side and wouldn’t move I could tell he was suffering. I went to the vet and they told me that he was in really bad shape that his body temperature was 93 or 96 I can’t remember I was too emotional. But that it was way too low and they weren’t sure what was wrong with him. He could have gotten hit by a car, internal bleeding, liver disease. They just weren’t sure. His gums were yellow which they said was a sign of shock. They could have tried to figure out the cause and try to treat him but the vet said that It would probably be pretty costly plus the emergency fee and it would be really hard to get his body temperature back to normal, that it’s rare when it gets as low as it was. I wasn’t the person paying for the vet visit but my mom was so I let the vet talk to her over the phone. We made the decision to put him to sleep. I have never had to do that before and I was alone. I just feel so terrible that he was suffering for so long that it’s my fault. I just don’t know what could have happened to him he was so full of life the previous days and it just hurts my heart. I feel terrible that we didn’t save him. I just really don’t know how to handle this. View attachment 437072View attachment 437073View attachment 437075View attachment 437076
Hi there,

You did your best and, most of all, you gave him love, care and protection. Don't feel guilty, you did what you could. Sometimes, we have no power to change things: with them, just like it happens with people. I lost my beloved Anselmo to lymphoma three years ago and I remember his last, tragic hours: he, too, meowed in pain and I felt like I could do nothing, besides helping him cross the rainbow at the vets. Losing them is a pain as deep as that we feel when a person we love goes. Rest assured though, that he knows you loved him and you did your best.

I don't know what you believe in or if you believe in a world after this one at all. I do. And I am sure, with all my heart and soul, that wherever we go, they go. And they'll wait for us there. My grandmother loved cats, just like I do. So, when Anselmo passed and, after him, just a few months ago, his older brother Puccio passed too, I entrusted them to her. There is a special place for them, where they no longer suffer (and with plenty of tuna and sardines, of course!!). Sorry for the rambling... :) Big hugs from me and my four young girls: Mina, Contessina, Virginia and Lilibet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You tried, you did everything you could with what you had. Binx knows that. You were near when he passed, he held your love and concern in his heart. He now has someone to love and remember him, who will keep him alive through their wonderful memories.
Do not dwell on his end. He would never want you to be so sad because of him. Go into the future and use it to carry his love with you, to seek life's beauty and happiness. Do as you would want for him to live if you were the first to go. That is love.
Love is spiritual, so eternal. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. Do him a great honor by passing that love on to another little one, using what he taught you, a beautiful tribute to a beautiful boy......RIP dear Binx. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Binx, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

I am so, so sorry. I know how horrifying this was for you, but...Binx left this world in someone's arms, and in someone's heart. If not for you, he would have been alone. He was not. You were there with him. You guided his first steps through the Gate between This Adventure and his Next Great Adventure, and your love went with him to guide his way. Now, from his new Home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses you, and he sends his love, now translated and purified into Love, to walk with you down through all of your days, and he waits, dancing on sunshine, for your reunion in the fullness of time.

Dance on, little Binx, dance on!