Cat Overweight

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I need some suggestions on what dry food to give my boy.?That will help him loose weight..Hes on wet fancy feast medleys @70 calories a 3 oz can.And Hills I/ D Prescription .For digest issues.But hes not loosing cause the id dry is too high in calories.The vet said I could put him on another dry thats not prescription food for digest issues.But helps with weight too.Hes @ 16 lbs.And vet said he shud b 10_12 lb cat. Advice on dry food needed

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your vet couldn't recommend any alternatives? You could try discussing options with a PetSmart employee - and you could compare the ingredients between whatever brands they suggest right there while you are at the store.

Can you increase the amount of wet food he currently eats and reduce the dry? Just that alone would reduce the caloric intake. If he is a dry food lover, you can also try adding just a bit of wet to the dry and see if he eats it that way. Then, you can gradually add more wet and reduce the amount of dry, until he is actually eating more wet than anything else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet couldn't recommend any alternatives? You could try discussing options with a PetSmart employee - and you could compare the ingredients between whatever brands they suggest right there while you are at the store.

Can you increase the amount of wet food he currently eats and reduce the dry? Just that alone would reduce the caloric intake. If he is a dry food lover, you can also try adding just a bit of wet to the dry and see if he eats it that way. Then, you can gradually add more wet and reduce the amount of dry, until he is actually eating more wet than anything else.
Oh yea THEY constantly recommend Hills Prescription n they swear by it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe an LID dry food? Those are usually helpful for cats with digestive issues.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Sweet Gum has lost weight on Fromm dry. She free feeds. She'd gained a few pounds from being on Orijen and not being all that active - I think their formula is for active cats. It took about a year but she dropped 1.5 lbs.

when we found the dog, she gained 2 pounds in stress eating, but is now back to her normal eating and is losing it.

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need some suggestions on what dry food to give my boy.?That will help him loose weight..Hes on wet fancy feast medleys @70 calories a 3 oz can.And Hills I/ D Prescription .For digest issues.But hes not loosing cause the id dry is too high in calories.The vet said I could put him on another dry thats not prescription food for digest issues.But helps with weight too.Hes @ 16 lbs.And vet said he shud b 10_12 lb cat. Advice on dry food needed
I have been doing a lot of research on dry cat food and what I have learned is to NOT feed dry cat food for several reasons. First off, dry cat food adds pounds to cats, dry cat food is coated with an ingredient that cats love so they almost always overeat especially if they are free fed, also urinary problems, diabetes , and kidney problems develop over time. I have taken my cats off dry food completely as I don't want any preventative vet bill down the road. I have read that the worst wet food is better than the best dry food. Cat food for thought.:)