Cat Overly Heated After Sneaking Out

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat snuck out yesterday during somewhat noon or the afternoon. We looked everywhere for her until she came back at around 10pm. But she seemed really weird like she was scared and trying to hide. I fed her some wet food but she didnt eat all of them. Then she started breathing very fast and panting. So i gave her some water immediately and she drank like crazy. After a while she was better and some what normal again. But this morning i notice she still pants and need water. She ate only the wet food since last night but doesn’t eat all the amount i gave her. Normally she would chunks on every last bite of wet food. Is she okay? Is it normal for a overheated cat?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Do you have a vet you can speak with? I'm wondering if she ingested something she shouldn't have. It seems as though this is going on longer than just overheating, I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont think she did though since she doesnt eat human food or any other food, like ever. She eats cat food only. No meat, chicken or anything else. She seems fine and acting as usual now. I havent seen her panting again since the morning

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m still wondering if our reformed feral stepped in antifreeze and licked it off, causing him to pee blood/almost die!

I would play it safe and take her to the vet! (What if she had internal bleeding? Poisoning? Etc?) It is worth 50$ for peace of mind.?
I checked her pee and it looks normal, no diarrhea or vomiting as far as I’m concerned. I do notice her nose is more pink than usual and a bit runny, but it stops today, still a bit pink though.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you examine inside her mouth? Is there a wound? Some bad breath? Can you check her body temperature?

Maybe she hunted something she shouldn't have and ate a bit, or bit a plant she shouldn't have. Don't think she wouldn't because she's a picky eater. Especially if your cat isn't normally an indoor-outdoor cat, it wouldn't be unusual if she got "zoomies" when outside. And my cat for example once bit a rose branch and cut her tongue a bit in the heat of zoomies.

From your description my guess is she's trying to get rid of a taste or foreign object she swallowed and hated. Things like this are on the "this could be something annoying for the cat but not dangerous and will go away on its own shortly, or something very very dangerous a vet should take care of."

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you examine inside her mouth? Is there a wound? Some bad breath? Can you check her body temperature?

Maybe she hunted something she shouldn't have and ate a bit, or bit a plant she shouldn't have. Don't think she wouldn't because she's a picky eater. Especially if your cat isn't normally an indoor-outdoor cat, it wouldn't be unusual if she got "zoomies" when outside. And my cat for example once bit a rose branch and cut her tongue a bit in the heat of zoomies.

From your description my guess is she's trying to get rid of a taste or foreign object she swallowed and hated. Things like this are on the "this could be something annoying for the cat but not dangerous and will go away on its own shortly, or something very very dangerous a vet should take care of."
Yes I checked her mouth, and her legs, eyes and body for any injury or pain, her stomach to see if there’s any foreign objects. She seemed to be fine other than that panting. The reason I think it was because of overheating was because she seemed like she just wants to be in a room with AC, and hasnt left there since. The place I live in has really high temperature in the summer, it can easily get up to 104F outside so heat stroke is a pretty common problem here. Most pets are recommended to have their fur shaved to prevent heat stroke
She does seem better now though, hasnt seen anymore panting, and stopped breathing fast, eating better too, I will still keep an eye on her & take her to vet for a check though

Last edited:

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed?
Yes she was spayed since 4 months old, and is an indoor only cat. She only snuck out twice in her life and the first time was because she got stuck in our neighbor’s basement. This time she got back home on her own but I guess the reason was similar, it was just she was probably stuck in someone’s yard or balcony or something like that

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it's that hot I'm inclined to say it was probably overheating. But if she keeps doing it, especially now that she's fully cooled down, then definitely call the vet. And if her appetite is still off today, that's worth a call too.
She’s breathing better now, hasnt been panting since, she ate better too as she finished all the way the portion i gave her. She still seem kind of scared of the sun or any kind of lighting though, I used a flashlight to check her eyes and she kind of panicked, she usually loves lying in the front porch for sun bathing but not today, she only wants to stay in a room with AC

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Open-mouth panting can be a sign of dehydration, but it sounds as though your kitty was able to hydrate herself when she got back from her walkabout. If she starts open mouth panting (again?), take her to the vet immediately.

If you meant quick-breathing not open-mouth breathing, cat's will do this when afraid, but they will also do this while in pain. Cat's are masters at hiding pain, and sometimes quick-breathing and hiding are our only signs.

Also check her eyes, since you mentioned a sensitivity to light, she may have scratched her eye on something, check for tears, redness or swelling around her eyes or eyelids.

If at all possible - take her into the vet to get a checkup and make sure she's all good, tell the vet she got out, and all the symptoms she has displayed since she got home, even if she doesn't have them anymore, and mention the light sensitivity and ask them to check her eyes if they don't.

if it's not possible - keep an eye on her for the next few days to make sure she is urinating normally, drinking normally and acting normally and keep checking her eyes for any redness, swelling or tears.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I was thinking poison was because you said you brought her in, cooked her down and then she started panting again. I agree it hopefully was just mild over heating. I would keep a close eye on her and if her breathing becomes hard/panting I would take her to vet immediately. I would also keep canned tuna in water and unflavored pedialite just in case you ever need it! Also if she ever overheats again you can wet her down with a damp wash cloth to help lower her body temp. (Cold unflavored pedialite would help to. In a pinch I would open a can of tuna in water, take some juice and mix it with an equal part unflavored pedialite and put it on a plate and stick it in the freezer for a few (5-10) minutes to cool it down quickly.) Since you live in such a hot place I would freeze tuna juice or lil soup minus the chunks or fancy feast broth .... again just the broth part minus the chunks in ice cube trays along with keeping pedialite in the fridge. That way if she ever over heats again you have something cold to give her to rehydrate.

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since you live in such a hot place I would freeze tuna juice or lil soup minus the chunks or fancy feast broth .... again just the broth part minus the chunks in ice cube trays along with keeping pedialite in the fridge. That way if she ever over heats again you have something cold to give her to rehydrate.
We use frozen bone broth for this, as it can get quite hot here as well. Cats and dogs both love this little treat and is nutritious! Just make sure you are using pure bone broth and not something with onions or garlic in it (they are toxic to cats and dogs).

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Open-mouth panting can be a sign of dehydration, but it sounds as though your kitty was able to hydrate herself when she got back from her walkabout. If she starts open mouth panting (again?), take her to the vet immediately.

If you meant quick-breathing not open-mouth breathing, cat's will do this when afraid, but they will also do this while in pain. Cat's are masters at hiding pain, and sometimes quick-breathing and hiding are our only signs.

Also check her eyes, since you mentioned a sensitivity to light, she may have scratched her eye on something, check for tears, redness or swelling around her eyes or eyelids.

If at all possible - take her into the vet to get a checkup and make sure she's all good, tell the vet she got out, and all the symptoms she has displayed since she got home, even if she doesn't have them anymore, and mention the light sensitivity and ask them to check her eyes if they don't.

if it's not possible - keep an eye on her for the next few days to make sure she is urinating normally, drinking normally and acting normally and keep checking her eyes for any redness, swelling or tears.
I took her to the vet and she did have a little mycosis around the eye that made it swollen a little so the vet gave me some meds that will take care of that. As for the heatstroke vet said it was lucky that she got back on her own, some animals couldn’t even make it. The reason I didn’t want to take her to the vet right away because it is still very hot outside and it can be bad for her again, and when we got back to the vet she was panting again indeed but less serious than the last time. You cant imagine what the weather here does to everyone, people dies from heatstroke here as well :(

Meomongmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason I was thinking poison was because you said you brought her in, cooked her down and then she started panting again. I agree it hopefully was just mild over heating. I would keep a close eye on her and if her breathing becomes hard/panting I would take her to vet immediately. I would also keep canned tuna in water and unflavored pedialite just in case you ever need it! Also if she ever overheats again you can wet her down with a damp wash cloth to help lower her body temp. (Cold unflavored pedialite would help to. In a pinch I would open a can of tuna in water, take some juice and mix it with an equal part unflavored pedialite and put it on a plate and stick it in the freezer for a few (5-10) minutes to cool it down quickly.) Since you live in such a hot place I would freeze tuna juice or lil soup minus the chunks or fancy feast broth .... again just the broth part minus the chunks in ice cube trays along with keeping pedialite in the fridge. That way if she ever over heats again you have something cold to give her to rehydrate.
I was scared that she might swallow something too, or got bitten by some animals because of the heavy breathing, but then observing from her systoms I thought it was more of a heatstroke. She showed up on the front porch so I took her inside right away and didnt notice any symtoms other than the heavy breathing, then she started panting like 5 minutes later. I did took her to the vet for a check, they said she was lucky she got back home on her own, some animals couldn’t even make it in such weather. I didnt want to took her outside right away because the heat her doesnt go away in just one day or two, it stays like this for months and I have to wait for the time when the temperature is a bit lower. And when we got back from the vet she was panting again, less serious though fortunately, and was okay after an hour. I’m feeding them chilled food daily now to keep them more hydrated, hopefully the season is over soon :(, it seriously is too much

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have to take her out in this make her a little ice pack - fill a plastic bag with crushed ice (pound some ice cubes) or freeze a small container and wrap in a dish towel. Put it in her carrier with
her. If you have a towel in her carrier your cat can put it between her and the ice.

My vet gave me the grimace at first, but then I explained my car's air conditioning isn't much. After that when I forgot it one time, he gave me one of their ice packs to put in the carrier on the way home.