Cat on UTI food

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat last nov had some bladder stones so she was put on uti food until her xrays showed them as gone. my mom took her in for the last visit and she told me what the vet said but i don't think it was 100% correct. I think my mom gave me the wrong information, she said that I need to continue to buy her the special UTI food forever for my cat. Lately I have been noticing that she has been throwing up after she eats in the morning every few days. I think its related to the food and maybe my mom gave me the wrong information. I'm gonna call that vet but I just wanted to know if anyone has done a similar thing for their cat where they stay on the special food forever.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Generally speaking, a vet will tell you to continue feeding urinary care foods for the lifetime of the cat - in order to avoid a recurrence of the crystals. Depending on the cause of the bladder stones, it might not necessarily be for a life time, or at least not the only food your cat would have to eat. Struvite crystals can be dissolved with urinary care foods, but there is some dependence on your girl's PH level that the foods can help with as well. However, the biggest factor of all is water intake as that helps to keep the kidneys/bladder flushed so that there is less of a chance of crystal formation. If you continue with urinary care foods, make it the canned versions for the additional hydration.

The urinary care food may or may not be causing the vomiting. How long has she been on it? Another cause of vomiting like that is if a cat goes too long between their nightly meal and their morning meal - stomach acid builds up and can cause vomiting once food hits their stomach. Could this be the case?

Canned food, urinary or otherwise, and encouraging additional water intake (multiple water dishes around the house, and/or a water fountain might help) are the best defenses against future crystal formation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually increased her food intake and she doesnt appear to be leaving me any gifts on my floor or clothes anymore. She does seem to eat a lot more than i remember her eating before but it might just be from it getting closer to spring.