cat on table....

murpy422

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
murphy has been on the table too much ,he dose it to see the bird feeder(and sometimes other cats).I have told him no and pick up off the table many times ,he still dose it. What should I do?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 he's not interested in the table (or trying to be naughty) he just wants a good view of the birds. 

lf there was an armchair there, he'd be behind your head all day long 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really not fare to expect him not to jump on the table when there's a bird feeder right there. Either provide something else for him to sit on or move the feeder to another location.

And does it matter if he's on the table? The compromise we have here is cats go where they please, just not when we're eating or preparing food. Surfaces are quickly wiped down before use, and the cats know not to jump up if we're at the table or kitchen bench. 

Last edited:

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will jump on counters and tables.  

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put a cat tree or something else where he can see the birds without using the table?
Totally. The kitty wants to see the birds--ain't no amount of dumping him on the floor gonna change that. A cat tree is expensive, though. If you can't afford one, I bet you could push a dresser or side table up to the window, and he could sit on that without his cat hair becoming a condiment at your dinner table.

multicatowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With 4 indoor cats,window views are at premium.Very few times cats are willing to share a window,so we have plenty of space for them.Good entertainment for them.I agree with other posts,you lose,cat wins.Look at it this way,he can't bring you dead birds for being a good mommy,but he can dream about it!! Its the thought that counts!!

sammymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats always jump in my breakfast chair in the morning and complain vehemently when I move them. I'm glad they let me live with them.

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is definitely a temptation with the bird feeder. The way I see it is you can move the bird feeder, provide another place for kitty to perch and watch, or live with it. Cats CAN be taught not to jump on tables or counters under reasonable situations. Birds are a temptation. The cat is now placed in a precarious situation. Even if trained not to jump on the table, without another vantage point, kitty is going to get on the table. There are window perches available (check out Amazon) for under $20. I have 3 of them, and they work great. They are the only ones I can use as I live in a mobile home and the windows are side sliders. My kitties have one in every room. As for keeping kitty off the table (after removing the temptation), it is just a matter of patience. I adopted a food monger who screamed for food 24/7 and searched every counter, table and chair to see if she could find a crumb. She cannot see over the top of the counter, and would leap on the stove when there were pots of boiling water or soup on them. I did not want to see kitty stew, and I was going through too many earplugs so I spent 2 weeks of one-on-one training with her. I just stood close by and every time she jumped up on the empty counter (I never left any food out), I picked her up, said a stern "NO" and put her on the floor. She would immediately jump right back up. My record was 49 times of picking her up and putting her back on the floor, but the two weeks were worth it. She no longer screams for food as she gets 3 meals a day. She no longer jumps on any counter or table. She will actually sit and wait for her dinner when I say "Sit". She is 3 years old, so she was pretty set in her ways when I got her, and I don't know her history as I got her from an adoption agency. Apparently she was never disciplined or fed properly. Now that she realizes she gets her meals on a regular basis, she no longer fears going hungry. And, contrary to popular opinion, you can train cats. It just takes a decade longer than training a dog.

Lei-Ann, who has taught 3 cats to talk