Cat on edge for over week

Roscotto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just over a week ago something happened to my 4 year old cat. I am not sure what happened but he leapt into the air scared. This is a jumpy cat who does this a lot so I didnt think anything of it. However, this time he will not go back to normal. It has been over a week now and he is still acting like he is constanting on the look out for something. He is peaking around every corner and gets really jumpy at anything. He won't play either because he is scared of the toy. He is still eating and everything normally and when he is in one of his few safe places he loves to cuddle and acts just like normal. This is the weirdest thing. Any idea what could be going on?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Poor guy, I have no idea, but can you get some calming products, catnip for the toy (more than one I hope?) And start playing some cat music? Spotify has harp music for cats, and some cat music has purrs in it :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roscotto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I plugged in a Felliway diffuser this afternoon, I hope it will do something. I hadn't heard of the cat music before, thanks for that. I think we will take him to the vet for a wellness check in case there is a physical cause but it might take a while to get an appointment.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is amazing how well many cats respond to that music!

Is it at all possible that a new stray or feral is hanging around? That can really upset a shy or timid cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roscotto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is possible.. the worst of his fear does seem to be focused around our back door and window. I haven't seen a cat back there but who knows. And he definitely has a timid nature, he came from a feral colony as a kitten.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are very welcome, I'm so glad to hear it!

Would you be able to spray lemon scented furniture polish onto a few pieces of cloth and place those outside, and I've been reading that cedar chips could also be useful as a stray/feral cat deterrent.