Cat on Desk…

shishylo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just LOVES jumping onto my desk while I’m working. Although it’s cute and I love petting him while I work, it starts to get annoying when he chews my wires and presses random stuff on my keyboard.

How do I train him and tell him not to jump on my desk?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Try bitter apple spray on the cords, or hard plastic cord covers. Also try placing a cat tree near the desk, or a small bed or even a little box on the desk, and put him in/on that place every time he gets to where he's interrupting you :).

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:its a losing battle giving the lil guy a better spot to hang out by you might help or you can just pick him up and place him else where off the desk each time tell him stay offer a treat but theres a risk of getting worked over then for treats.:lol:far as the cables go lowes sells cable /wire wraps that are pretty cat teeth proof that are in inch in diameter that will easily hold the thick powercords from you rmonitor/ desktop and router cables etc.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will be cats. It’s easier to train the human than the cat. Baby proof the wires (there’s cable wraps and such for that), and provide him an acceptable hangout on your desk. A Chewy/Amazon box with a T-shirt of yours makes for a cheap starter solution. You can intermittently seed that box with a treat to make the box, not the computer, the most appealing part of the desk.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
:lol:its a losing battle
Cats will be cats. It’s easier to train the human than the cat.
I agree with both of the above posts. :agree: I guess it depends on how much it interferes with your work but as you can tell from my pic below she just wants to be near me. Too bad she can't do my work for me.😉

IMG_0004.JPG

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
29C2C1CB-1DF1-4FE1-B4FF-D007A8451893.jpeg
My favorite kind of pop-ups! Krista loved coming onto the desk. She just wanted time with me. I called the space between the keyboard and the operator her filling station. She would pull up and park and she wasn’t moving until she had her fill of loving. About five, ten minutes later, her tank was full up and she’d head off to her next order of business for the day.
6F5854DB-1A27-4ED7-9CD6-CD1081A78C6A.jpeg

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahha, this was a really annoying issue for me as well when my cat was a kitten. Thankfully he's grown out of it now. Fingers crossed your kitty will get the hint as they grow up (if he is a kitten, not sure from the pics!)