Cat On Cat Aggression

KristinM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In April we adopted 2 cats, Bella and Wentz. Wentz is scared of his shadow but the two adjusted and we were doing fine. Then a stray showed up in July and we took her in. We did the introductions according to all the advice out there. Turns out our new one, Indi, was very sick with a kidney infection which led to some pretty severe kidney damage. So after her week’s stay at the vet we let them all be together (Beginning of August). Wentz and Indi would touch noses, both slept in bed with us, and they would hang out together. Things are going fine until this weekend. I hear ferocious growling, hissing, and commotion upstairs. Wentz comes flying downstairs with Indi chasing him. I step between them, Wentz hides, and Indi settles down. I have no idea what started it or which one was the aggressor. But now, Wentz is living under our bed and when he does come out he shows clear fear aggression with Indi. He growls, lays his ears back, and then flees. She then growls and chases. I don’t know why she chases instead of just letting him be angry. I don’t know how to calm him down. I fed them treats last night within sight of each other and they ate breakfast in the kitchen this morning like always.

Help!

All cats are spayed/neutered.

I was diffusing Feliway Multicat and ran out. They’ve been about a week without it. The refills are being delivered tomorrow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KristinM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update after speaking to vet: Vet said to definitely get the diffusers going again and if things don't get better to bring Indi back in for a urinalysis. Due to her kidney failure, she could very well be feeling bad again and that she was the one that was the aggressor with Wentz and now he is petrified.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KristinM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try some low volume classical harp music, it is known to help cats feel more calm.

Sending good thoughts your way!!
I had no idea! I'll try it! (I'll try anything at this point...I can't handle the violence and my nerves are on edge...it would probably help calm me as well!)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's one other thing that one of the TCS staff often suggests, but she's in North Carolina and hasn't had a chance to come online...

It's chamomile tea, from the little baggies only (not loose leaf), a couple cooled teaspoons of it in water or food a couple times a day...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello K KristinM , Wentz and Indi, and welcome to TCS! Often after someone goes to the vet (s)he will come home with what I call "OCS" (Other Cat Scent) and that will definitely not be recognized by everyone at home. You can try getting a cloth, T-shirt, etc., and rubbing it on each cat in turn, to mingle their scents. And yes, that Feliway needs to be deployed A/O! For great non-commercial classical music 24/7, you can stream kusc.org from anywhere in the known universe, on your computer or tablet, and get the free app for your phone, too. It's wonderful for them AND for you. :D I hope you soon have calm, happy cats (and that that helps you to feel better as well!)