Cat on Buprenorphine

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! I have an old kitty on buprenorphine but I am having trouble administering. The instructions say not to give with food. It’s liquid and chicken flavored and I am supposed to plunge a syringe into her mouth 2x a day. But it’s really stressful for us both. She fights and wiggles and I almost got it in her eye once. Half the time she spits half it out. I can’t even burrito towel her. It might even hurt her since the reason she is on it is for chronic pain.

The easiest way is to add it to her wet food and she gobbled it up. No stress. But is it still effective given with food? The instructions seem to indicate no. But I don’t know what else to do. She needs it 2x a day. It’s not like I can train my 12 year old cat over several weeks to learn to just take it in the mouth without a fight. Any suggestions? Is it okay with food?

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buprenorphine is poorly absorbed in the gut. It is supposed to be absorbed by the mucus membranes in her mouth. This makes it both easier and harder than other liquid medicines. Harder because you can’t mix it with food. But easier because she doesn’t need to and in fact shouldn’t swallow it. It’s not harmful if she does. It’s just not effective. The easiest way to administer it is to ambush her while she’s sleeping. Simply peel the lip away with the tip of the syringe and aim for the space between cheek and gums. Make sure you have a treat with you for when she wakes up. If a treat follows, she may easier forgive your trespass. 😻

If you still find this too difficult, you can get buprenorphine compounded into transdermal gel. Wedgewood Pharmacy is one compounding pharmacy I have worked with and highly recommend.
Buprenorphine Medication & Information for Animals

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, buprenex cannot be mixed with food or anything else. Burprenex only works if absorbed through the mucousal membranes in the mouth (the gums and inside of the cheek). You just stick the tip of the syringe between the teeth and lips and squirt the medicine in, not give like any other liquid medicine that is swallowed. Ingestion of the medicine renders the medicine ineffective.

You can have the buprenex compounded into another form for easier giving. Any compounding pharmacy can do this. Wedgewood Pharmacy is a popular one many pet owners use. There is a transdermal gel option: Buprenorphine Medication & Information for Animals You rub the gel on the inside non-furry side of the ear with a cotton swab or gloved finger. You'll need your vet to fax or call the prescription in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! I have tried again in the cheek and it’s so traumatic. I do use Wedgewood currently. That is who made the original liquid solution. Maybe I will try the gel solution. I really hate stressing her out.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need to get and wear finger cots, or disposable gloves when using the transdermal formulation..
Just as the buprenex can be absorbed into the cats inner ear lobe, it can get into your skin.
You do not want that to happen.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Burprenex is available as an injectable but that may be for vet-only use. Regular liquid buprenex might have an icky taste to cats and flavoring may not help much. I've never had an issue getting it into my cats before but I also have weird cats :crazy:

Here's a thought: coat the outside of the syringe with canned cat food gravy or canned tuna or meat baby food. That might trick your cat into thinking she's getting a yummy treat. Have the cat face away from you and insert the tip of the syringe from reaching from behind the head so the cat can't see scary strange object.