Cat obsessively meows to go outside.

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have 12 year old domestic shorthair that has been indoor/outdoor for the last 6 or so years. I work a lot and he has taken up a habit of going over to a neighbors during the day and napping at there house or chilling in there garden. The person I live with does let him in my house during the day or when I’m home all day I see him alot but he kind of wanders back and forth between homes.

The last 1 1/2 years he has started this habit of waking up between 2-4 am howling to go out. Which I don’t do. It’s excessive and it’s ruined my sleeping pattern. Also when he’s in the house during anytime and he wants out he will meow over and over and over till you finally give in. I’ve reached a point where I want him in more because he’s been to the ER vet 2 times recently for cat fighting. The reason I’m posting this is basically he went to the vet other day for a hurt leg and she wants me to keep him in for awhile but he is excessive with the howling and meowing it’s becoming too much. I know it’s my fault for letting him even be outside so much but I worry so much about him.

Any tips for the meowing? I’ve read online from others to just ignore because he has me trained to do what he wants. Thanks guys

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ignoring can create a lot of tension and frayed nerves! When either of my two play up I find that about 10 minutes of serious play time will distract them and tire them out enough that I’ll get some peace and quiet for a while. It’s their OCD ADHD boredom that’s behind it all!

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ignoring can create a lot of tension and frayed nerves! When either of my two play up I find that about 10 minutes of serious play time will distract them and tire them out enough that I’ll get some peace and quiet for a while. It’s their OCD ADHD boredom that’s behind it all!
You want to do that at 3 am? You'd put up with that with kids? Same.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I realize you need to keep him in now while the injury heals, but otherwise have you thought about installing a cat flap so he can come and go without bothering you? You can lock it when you don't want the cat to go out for some reason.

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize you need to keep him in now while the injury heals, but otherwise have you thought about installing a cat flap so he can come and go without bothering you? You can lock it when you don't want the cat to go out for some reason.
My first thought but depends on poster's locale. Wouldn't work for me (I've thought about it as I had one in England) but Thailand .. snakes, and plenty of strays looking for a feed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve contemplated a cat door before. I do have strictly indoor cat as well so I’m not sure how that would work. I live in a area with coyotes and raccoons at night.

update he’s calmed down the last few days. I’ve ignored him completely at night and he’s been pretty mellow tonight.I’m trying to get him a routine of coming in sundown and not going out till sunrise.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You want to do that at 3 am? You'd put up with that with kids? Same.
I don’t have kids, though its more likely they would be crying to get in the house at 3am! Moving a laser pointer around for 10 minutes at 3am though? I could do in my sleep.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dunno about moving a pointer in my sleep, but I can seriously pat my cat in my sleep. I've wakened several times in the act.