Cat obsessed with water and biting

eleanorrigby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My eight month kitten is just obsessed with the water. She follows me and my wife to the bathroom everytime so she can watch the sink and she tries to join in the shower. My cats are outdoor indoor and I thought I'd let her be too (collared and all that good stuff). She ended up getting into the pool and we even caught her with her ear down against the manhole cover to hear the water, so Eleanor is not a outdoor kitten anymore lol. Is this obsession common ? Will she grow out of it?

She bites and hits a lot, it's never in malice she's clearly playing but I can't break her out of it. Water squirts do nothing and clicking something at her makes her attack it too. I love her even if she's so hyper, but I'm just curious if anyone has some tips to help curb her playful fighting me constantly and maybe how to make sure she doesn't drown herself

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eleanorrigby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will be in a few days, on the 21st. Will this stop after?

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The spaying will help with the biting but the water loving is just her being her. It might fade some as she ages and becomes allitle bit more lazy.

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As a kitten my cat LOVED water. He'd stick his head in a shower spray, was up on the counters whenever he heard water running so he could play or drink from the stream. He'd knock over a glass of water if he found one so he could drink it. Once he hopped into the bathtub with me, but never tried that again. Still I think it's a good idea to keep her away from deeper water.  

He had several water dishes which he drank from too, but what he really loved was fresh, running water to drink. I suppose one of those fountains might have worked, but what we did in addition to his water bowls was to just run fresh water for him whenever he followed us to the bathroom or laundry room. When the crazy kittenish behavior wore off, the water obsession died down too, but he always loved drinking from a faucet stream and continued to knock over glasses. 

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be glad. My girl is terrified of water. Every couple of months when she gets grimey or messes on herself she gets a bath. This ensues WW3. So a cat that like water, enjoy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eleanorrigby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello friends!

It's been a while since i've posted on here, and thought i'd give an update on my little Eleanor. She was spayed about a month ago, and her growling/hissing has stopped. She still whacks at me and bites, however. She's back to being super loving and all about the cuddles, but I don't know what to do about her whacking and biting at people. She gets in moods and a bit erratic. loves water still, comes into my bed soaking a lot after repeatedly falling into the toilet. yuck.