Cat obsessed with toy

Krissyfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my cat a toy (fish on a fishing pole) for Christmas and now that's all he wants to do. Ever since I played with him the first time, he sits and stares at me. If I make any kind of move, he excitedly runs to the fish or brings it to me. It was cute at first, but then he started bringing it to me at 3 in the morning. I just woke up to go to the bathroom and he came out of nowhere to play with the fish. It is literally all he thinks about and it's making me resent him. 😔 For context, he can go outside if he wants, but it's really cold and we are in the middle of yet another snow storm. I know he's probably just bored, but it's not logical to play with him 24/7.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll have to teach him boundaries. LOL That is not easy with a cat. It's hard, but he'll keep doing this as long as you give in. If possible, pick a couple of times a day and play with him then, then IGNORE him. It may take a long time, but eventually he'll learn the times you will play with him and bring it just then. Get him a kickeroo on amazon, maybe two, and put one in a plastic bag of catnip to keep it fresh. Interchange them. when he comes to you with the fish throw him that and walk away. Most cats LOVE bunny kicking the toy. It will be sad, but cats are like small children. You can't give in to their every wish, you are a parent not a friend. Keeping them away from things that are not good for them (or you) is what you decide as a parent, not them......

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Young cats often get obsessed with one toy and it's not necessarily a bad habit. Katy had a mouse which she took everywhere. I tried to find a replacement when it became exceptionally damaged but no luck. A toy on a rod is dangerous when a cat is allowed to play with it unattended so hide it far away when he's not looking. As di and bob di and bob suggested, look for a simpler toy (mouse, fish, furry animal) and some cat mint. He will then be able to amuse himself.
The rod will soon be forgotten once it has disappeared for a week or two. You can bring it out occassionally but it should never become routine - at least not before he has an alternative.