Cat obsessed with Surefeed

TriciaS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats. My two older cats have Surefeed with dry Rx food in two different bedrooms. One of my younger cats is obsessed with dry and is somehow able to move the feeders I her attempts to break in. I have been finding the feeders across the rooms and even out of the rooms and down the hallway. Last week the motor broke on one I think from her trying to break in. Anyone have a cat that does this? I can’t afford to have her breaking the feeders. She just had a full physical and blood work last month so it’s not a health issue. She is also on the chunky side so she is getting enough food.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats (I also have 5) is diabetic and on a specific Rx food. When it all started, I couldn't keep the other 4 away from the food. Closet doors were opened, the bag broken into, even an airtight container was tipped over, almost like the Rx food was some magical treat.
Eventually, I had to slowly change feeding times to make sure I was around, feed the 4 cats their food while sit in a room while feeding my diabetic cat her food, free from the other furry thieves.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really can't help, but was wondering if this cat is playing with the feeders rather than trying to get the food in them. Maybe let her have the broken one (with or without food in it) to 'play' with, and then find a way to semi-secure the other feeders to the floor? Or, maybe in a low sided box that isn't much bigger than the Surefeed. The bottom of the box could be weighted down, underneath the Surefeed?

The other thing is - can the younger cat eat the Rx food without issue? Or, maybe even mix a bit of it with her own food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TriciaS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. She is trying to break into the feeders for sure. Especially the one with the RX food. Its renal food so yes, nothing horrible would happen to her if she ate it, it's just low in protein for a 2 year old cat. Kidney cats don't have the greatest appetite so they must be coating the kibble with something to make them want to eat it cause all my cats seem to want it. I just need to figure a way to secure the feeder while still making it comfortable for the cat that needs it to eat out of. Maybe some hand weights around it will help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sure you are right about the coating! Maybe give this cat a feeder as well, and just try mixing the renal food with her regular food so she doesn't get only the renal food, but the food mix smells like the renal food? There are motion activated feeders so she doesn't 'destroy' the others?

You have got everyone stumped. Maybe, with you posting again, some more members will see this thread and have some other ideas!!!

Worse case scenario is to place a cat door in the door to the special needs kitties, and a chip that only they can open??