Cat Obsessed With Ice/water

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
B7B6F7C4-675F-4A82-B98B-8A73399D967F.jpeg
My one year old little lady, Emma, is absolutely obsessed with ice and water. We have an ice maker in the fridge, and she will come running from anywhere in the house when she hears it. If we have glasses of water she tries to sneakily hit it with her paw. She’s also quite obsessed with faucets and drains and anything relating to water.

She has a fountain and her litter box urine is consistent, so I don’t think she’s dehydrated, that’s what I was worried about at first. I don’t see her drink that often, but the water level goes down regularly, so maybe it’s more at night or when we are at work. I see her drink out of it probably twice a day or so. Sometimes I will “drop” an ice cube and she carries it in her mouth upstairs and I just hear spastic jumping for the life of the cube lol. I just wanted to see if anyone else’s cat has this obsession, and if it’s “normal”. She’s going to the vet in a few weeks for her annual check up so I can also make sure they say she is well hydrated.

People that have fountains, do you also have a regular water bowl out? I put one out sometimes, but she drinks from the fountain stream (not really still water) so she loses interest once she knocks the ice out with her paw.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Gohan has never experienced an ice cube, but he’s very similar about water. He prefers his fountain, drinks from the top where it pours out. We leave a water bowl out and he doesn’t use it. He will jump into sinks, drink from faucets, even drink weird leaky drain water in the bathtub. He even sits in the shower after it’s been used. So I think all the things you describe is pretty normal.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have tried water fountains but none of my cats are interested. I have a bowl of water that one of them will sit by for ages dabbing her paw in the water. If I put ice in the bowl he knocks the cube. Cats get obsessed with the strangest of things and it sounds as if yours has chosen ice cubes. It could be that she sees it as a game, a slippery toy to play with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Gohan has never experienced an ice cube, but he’s very similar about water. He prefers his fountain, drinks from the top where it pours out. We leave a water bowl out and he doesn’t use it. He will jump into sinks, drink from faucets, even drink weird leaky drain water in the bathtub. He even sits in the shower after it’s been used. So I think all the things you describe is pretty normal.
My cat sits in the shower too! She waits outside, runs in, and always comes out wet lol

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, glad I’m not the only one! I think it’s extra funny because Gohan is super bonded with my BF. I get up and take a shower, Gohan sits in the aftermath soaking his tail and legs and then jumps into bed with Randall. All I hear as I run out the door is “UGH!! Why are you WET!?” :lol: :lol: :lol:

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol, glad I’m not the only one! I think it’s extra funny because Gohan is super bonded with my BF. I get up and take a shower, Gohan sits in the aftermath soaking his tail and legs and then jumps into bed with Randall. All I hear as I run out the door is “UGH!! Why are you WET!?” :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh my gosh you are literally describing my exact morning!!

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s funny too because my bf will be like, “don’t let her have an ice cube it’s going to get water all over the house!” And I’m like it’s an ICE CUBE amount of water we willl live lol. Guess who usually wins!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of my cats, Gracie (RIP), would just wait for someone to accidentally drop an ice cube on the floor so she could use it like a hockey puck! So, not just one puddle of water was left behind, but a trickle-like stream here-there-everywhere!! Needless to say a lot of ice cubes got 'accidentally' dropped...

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if Austin would like ice cubes, but he has a grand time with the fountain. This just started about a week ago, I get up, water everywhere but the fountain. I did hear him one night splash! splash! splash! Tried to stop him, but he went right back. I just got a new, smaller, fountain and hope he just uses it to drink out. But we shall see.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Reese is the same way!! Turn on the tap or scoop some ice and she's there waiting to stick her feet in your glass. All fun and games until she accidentally knocks the entire freezing thing over on grandpa. OOPS.

I don't have a fountain, but sometimes leave the tap running so that she can drink from it. I also leave ice cubes in the shower for her to bat around.

She's also absolutely obsessed with sniffing Dr. Pepper when you open it. She doesn't want to drink it. She wants to smell it. She will yank the bottle right out of your hands, stick her nose in there, and huff. When she's got her fix she'll let go. But heaven help you...the second she hears that lid turning she's racing across the house.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My crew love water fountains and water glasses. They have five fountains outside and one inside that they drink from. Fury also demands a cup in the bathroom while his human brushes her teeth. They all have a bowl next to the couch that I get yelled at if it runs dry. Usually when I refill it there is a very literal line for drinking out of it.

So no, I see nothing weird with a water obsessed cat. At least you don't have to worry about hydration. Just remember with our water lovers that decreased or increased thirst is at different levels then most other cats as a sign of something being wrong

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes, abbyemma abbyemma -- many cats love water! My ex's cat used to shower with him. And our angel Maryam would get in the sink and play with the water. When we got a fountain, she played in that instead. My little brofur Kikko would jump up on the bathroom cupboard and drink from a trickle of water if we turned it on for him. I've never tried giving an ice cube except on very hot days, when I may put one in the fountain and water bowls. (And yes, we have a fountain and several stationary water bowls in various parts of the house.)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a water obsessed cat once, not with ice cubes, but with any kind of running water. Washing dishes was a joke. We could have won 10 grand on AFV if we'd thought to video it :thumbsup:
We bought her a fountain but took it away because she would drink until it ran dry, and we thought she'd over hydrate. She wanted in the shower with you and would practically shred your legs to get in once you were getting out. She also was very interested in toilets that flushed :flail:
She was a happy healthy girl that lived to over 20 years old.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mizu will walk into the sink while I wash dishes and paw frantically at the spray attachment when I use it. She actually got a blast of water the other day when I thought she was going left and she went right. She was unfazed. She smells the ice cube tray when I take it out but only wants them in a glass. If I give her one in the sink she isn't as interested. She's also a fountain girl.

Keeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL I am no cat expert are two babies are less than a year old. Slate in the mail does the same thing with our ice machine and is Uber Overjoyed with ice cubes on the ground I find it very entertaining. So far we haven't tripped on them... it's cute it's like our one-on-one time. They drink plenty of water from their bowls and we are considering getting them a fountain.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I am no cat expert are two babies are less than a year old. Slate in the mail does the same thing with our ice machine and is Uber Overjoyed with ice cubes on the ground I find it very entertaining. So far we haven't tripped on them... it's cute it's like our one-on-one time. They drink plenty of water from their bowls and we are considering getting them a fountain.
Hello Keeb Keeb and family and welcome to TCS! Sounds like your kittens are having a lot of fun with the ice cubes. Fountains are great -- sure hope you get one for them!

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat loves her fountain. She was never a fan of still water, so I was worried that she wasn’t getting enough. She now loves to drink moving water, and also just sits at it a lot and stares at it obsessively. I rinse it out about every week, and do a full clean and very 2 weeks, and that seems to keep it in good condition. You have to rinse it because the bottom will get a film if you go any more than a week.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must have an interesting case cause my cat, although obsessed with water, is a sworn non drinker. He loves to make water move, he attacks our Brita water filter to make waves just to observe it. Whenever we leave something filled with water in the sink (eg bowl), he would jump there and move the bowl with paws and forehead to make it shake and spill water, he then observes it and tries to catch it before it goes down the fascinating hole. He hates being wet so when he leaves his sink aka laboratory, he cries to make us dry him. Unfortunately he also knocks over every water bowl he finds around the apartment to watch with fascination the water flowing.
He didn’t appreciate the fountain though; the only time it is interesting to him is when I turn it off (because I need quiet), he would then try to move it and knock it over. As soon as I turn it back on, he looses interest in it..