Cat nursing off my elderly dog...please help?

x-vegancandy-x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got both of my kittens in January...they were born in October...so they were weaned when I got them,they werent taken from mommy too early...my female [Chai] has never once done this.But my male [Mocha] as soon as he warmed up to my elderly dog [Dusty,11 yrs old] he tried to nurse from her.This isn't something my dog allows of course,she'll growl...walk away...whatever.She also been spayed for years so not lactating...Mocha was really bad for this when I first got him,so thinking he was hungry,I would feed him..not the case.Eventually he stopped so I thought,great it was a phase hes over it,but i've been noticing he still tries sometimes...again! Why is he doing this? How do I get him to stop permanently...
? I'm positive it can't be healthy? & My older dog is really annoyed by this.Especially days when shes finding it hard to get away from the cat [age caught up to her,bad weather = unable to move...].

It's not a constant thing like when I first had him,he just took it up within the last 3 weeks again!

Please help,im unsure what to do

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can help Dusty by removing Mocha, say NO firmly and distract him away from the dog. Because Mocha is about 9 months old he is still a playful kitten. He could have been weaned too early (or too many brothers/sisters and not enough tits) or he could be just bored.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-vegancandy-x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

You can help Dusty by removing Mocha, say NO firmly and distract him away from the dog. Because Mocha is about 9 months old he is still a playful kitten. He could have been weaned too early (or too many brothers/sisters and not enough tits) or he could be just bored.
Thank you,it is quite possible he was weaned too early...there were a few kitties,& hes the smallest I think.I'll try it& see if it will work

Thanks again

lprdgrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Years ago (13), my young cat Peepers became very close with my older Lab, Duchess. She was his Mama (in his mind!!) They would eat, sleep, etc with one another - and he would even try to "nurse" from a small tuft of fur on her chest. She was so tolerant of him and would remain still until he "finished". They have both since passed, and it's a great memory of their great love for one another! Obviously, your situation is VERY different - hopefully with a little direction from you he will get the hint and redirect his affection!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just as an fyi: doesn't matter if a pet is spayed or neutered. Given enough stimulation from a nursing kitten, they can lactate. My OTB Boris (found at 4 weeks old) nursed off my male cat Max, who in response to the stimulation, lactated.

Give Mocha an alternative like a stuffed toy, cotton t-shirt, etc.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Brothers Kittens nursed off Tesla a Shitz Su and she was fixed. They still get Milk. My last Kitten Oreo who is almost 10 months I caught nursing on my Coco who is 16 now. Coco my Cats Girl Stormy nursed on her until she was 6 Months old and I had to pull her off and put her in another room. I think Telsa my Brothers Gf's dog was 8 or 9 at the time. Oreo was 3 months when I got her. Tell the Vet the kitten is doing that.

jstsandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by x-VeganCandy-x

I've got both of my kittens in January...they were born in October...so they were weaned when I got them,they werent taken from mommy too early...my female [Chai] has never once done this.But my male [Mocha] as soon as he warmed up to my elderly dog [Dusty,11 yrs old] he tried to nurse from her.This isn't something my dog allows of course,she'll growl...walk away...whatever.She also been spayed for years so not lactating...Mocha was really bad for this when I first got him,so thinking he was hungry,I would feed him..not the case.Eventually he stopped so I thought,great it was a phase hes over it,but i've been noticing he still tries sometimes...again! Why is he doing this? How do I get him to stop permanently...
? I'm positive it can't be healthy? & My older dog is really annoyed by this.Especially days when shes finding it hard to get away from the cat [age caught up to her,bad weather = unable to move...].

It's not a constant thing like when I first had him,he just took it up within the last 3 weeks again!

Please help,im unsure what to do
I found a kitten on the on ramp of a busy freeway in Irvine. I took him home and was feeding him with cat formula, but at night, he would sleep with my lab who had never had puppies or been pregnant, and she wasn't spayed. To my surprise, the kitten started nursing, Molly produced milk and NOW, 2 years later, almost 3 years, that fat neutered male cat STILL sneaks over and nurses of my now 5 year old dog. It's crazy, but I don't see a reason to stop him...Molly doesn't mind....I just wonder if it is what is making Benjamin (the cat) so butch and heavy?

sharon bennett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long did it take the dog to produce milk?  A mama kitty was killed last week, and we have been feeding her 6 day old kittens milk replacement by bottle. However, today my daughters chihuahua jumped into their bed with them and started nursing them and treating them as her own. She won't let the other dog or cats near them and is very cautious about people getting too close. I heard that the stimulation of their sucking can make the dog lactate. Was just wondering how long it might take IF she did.  Thank you.

joerauh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I am having the same issue with a few of my kitties.  Only my labradoodle is a male.  We wake up in the middle of the night to a slurping noise... and look down to our 3 month old labradoodle who has 2 cats (about 4 months old) sucking on it's neck.  It just lays there and takes it.  We try to discourage it, but it happens often.