Cat Not Well

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little baby boy sandy is 10 years old he has been throwing up his food since yesterday took him to the vet today they weighed him he has gone down from 6.4kg to5.6kg in two months h had a blood panel done we got the results back in half a hour they told us his t4 levels are rising his levels are 48 and his alt levels are raised a little bit so they have kept him hospital to give him some medication for sickness and to put him on a drip for fluids and to keep a eye on him I am worried we love him

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So do they think he has developed hyperthyroidism? With raised T4, that's what I would suspect, but it can be managed with medication, normally. And vomiting and weight loss can be a sign of that. Hopefully he'll be okay. I know it's very worrisome when they aren't feeling well :alright:. We just went thru having one of ours completely stop eating for a few days (very unlike him) AND had diarrhea, so naturally I was panicking. The odd thing is that all his bloodwork and physical exam came back perfect :sigh:. I mean, of course that was great news, but I wanted there to be a reason for what was wrong so we could fix it :frown:.

Keep us posted on your little guy. We're routing for him :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I think they are thinking he has got hyperthyroidism but they was saying if he doesn't respond to treatment about doing a x-ray I am so glad your little fella his ok

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, that does sound like hyperthyroidism. He will almost certainly do well once he's medicated, and the medications are balanced. Keep us posted on how he is getting along, please.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by "all of the numbers were elevated" on his blood test?

My first cat had HT when she was 10. The vet recommended radioactive iodine for a quick (and very expensive) cure. If you live near a teaching or regional hospital, ask your vet about having it done there. Not all hospitals are allowed to have one, but those who do make life much easier for most cats who get it.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My hyperthyroid cat, Surfeit, got radioactive iodine as well and did great.

I think when you add up the cost of the oral meds over several years, the radioactive iodine is not all that expensive, except, of course, you have to come up with the money all at once. For Surfeit, continuing medication was not an option as it was damaging his liver.

Do let us know how Sandy is doing. Sending both you and him big hugs.

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got sandy back from the vets but he seems to be acting strange he isn't is usually self it is like he wants to eat but then don't he has just nibles at his food when he usually gulf it down he was put on a drip with fluids he had medication for sickness and pain medication do you think he is alright

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What did the vet say, and how much is he eating? The pain medication may have him a little loopy, but he does need to eat.

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said his t4 levels are on the high end of normal and they would do a another blood test in3 months to see what the t4 levels are then he has eat 2 slices of cooked turkey and a little bit of wet food I am worried

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
We got Sandy back from the vets but he seems to be acting strange. He isn't is usually self. It is like he wants to eat but then don't. He has just nibbles at his food when he usually gulps it down. He was put on a drip with fluids he had medication for sickness and pain medication. Do you think he is alright?
Nausea causes that. No, he is not alright. There could be another problem causing it if his T4 is normal.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is he doing today? Any better? Why is he on pain meds? Did they say? Is he also on anything to regulate his thyroid, or not? Remember, he was probably eating like a little piggy before because his thyroid was out of whack. If it's under control again,that might be why he's not eating so quickly again, but he definitely should be eating normally, unless, like Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 mentioned, he's loopy from the pain meds. If he's not himself today, you should call your Vet and discuss it with them. He may be over medicated :frown:

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took sandy to the vets for a check up they think he has got a infection on his lower track digestive system he has lost a lot of weight he has stopped eating the vet has given us some pain medication to give him he has gone very quiet he is just lying about all the time the vet said if is sick or don't start eating he will have to have a scan and a x-ray I am worried I think he has got cancer.

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they have given him a antibiotics that will last for 2 weeks but I will be booking him in for a scan and x-ay i just need to know what's going on with him we love him he is our little baby i don't want to lose him he is pressies to us

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of course he is. I'm lighting a candle for him, and for your family, right now.
00000000000000000.jpeg

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much that means a lot to us

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I am thinking that he has got cancer he is just lying about he doesn't respond when you touch him when he was well he would go to bite you he has gone very quiet in is self. When he is lying he isnt asleep it is like he is stareing and also he is thumping is tale like is in pain i just don't want to lose him

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wait for the meds to work and get more results. Is he at least drinking water on his own? How are his visits to the litter box? If they have nausea they don't want to eat, my Benji used to eat up everything within seconds and one day he completely stopped eating and drinking. He wouldn't respond to anything we had so many blood tests, ultrasound a.s.o. and tests for thyroid, his blood test numbers went up and down. It was a terrible situation, on the drip, with antibiotics, with antinausea meds, even insulin at the end but we didn't find what was wrong. He should eat something though, he shouldn't be left with no food for more than two days as this will cause problems to the liver. As your vet on what to do, how to proceed and do update us. My prayers are with you.

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We was worried about him today so we took him to the out of hours vet we thought he was dying we found out he has got a uti he use to have a lot of urine in his litter tray now he has only got a little urine in it the vet there examed him and said he was ok they gave him a tablet to make him hugry to eat they gave him a ejection for norsious and to make him drink water when we got him back he eat a lot of cat food now he has gone back to not eating he seemed like his old self for a while now he is back to lying about and he has gone quiet again i am now thinking he has got kidney failure we are going to tomorrow book him for his scan and xray