Cat not using kitty litter box

bodisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat used to use her kitty litter box with no problems...And I could clean it once a day and there wasn't a problem. Unfortunately, I got sick and was barely able to get out of bed for 2-3 days, and during that time I neglected to clean her kitty litter box. When her kitty litter box got full, she started pooping next to it on the floor (She'll pee in it though). Once I felt better and saw what was going on. I immediately cleaned up the mess and scrubbed the floors to get rid of any odor that might give her an indication that it was her new spot.

Since then though, if her kitty litter isn't spotless...She'll still poop there. I'm cleaning her kitty litter box out 2-3 times a day, and even then she'll occasionally poop there. I've thought about relocating it to try and break her association with pooping there. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment though, and I've kept the kitty litter box in a 2nd bathroom. My point here is I don't have any convenient spots to move it to... But does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get her to get over this behavior?

Thanks for any suggestions!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you didn't already do so, remove all the litter, clean the box, and replace with fresh litter. There may be enough odor/debris lingering about to bother her, especially when she has already used the box that day. For now, get a second litter box to place nearby the first one, or in another room (let ker know it is there) and see if that helps any. If one litter box isn't to her liking, she may use the other.
Try re-cleaning the spot where she tends to go outside the box with some of these suggestions (they work for poop too).
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet - Effective, Non-toxic Solutions - TheCatSite

Geul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty's litter box issues. I've had a similar experience with my cat, and I ended up trying the World's Best Cat Litter.
The key things that worked for me were moving the litter box to a more accessible location, trying different litter types, and being diligent about cleaning it multiple times a day. It took some time, but my cat eventually went back to using the box reliably. I highly recommend contacting worlds best cat litter customer service and giving their litter a try. They helped me troubleshoot the problem and provided great tips. Wishing you the best of luck getting your kitty back on track!