Cat not the same, it’s a mystery

Carrilaszlo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saved 2 kittens that were dumped at the store I worked at. They were feral and approximately 2 to 3 months old. I trapped them, got them fixed and brought them home and tamed them up. I had homes for both. Well one person backed out so it is still here. This was a year And a half ago. He is the sweetest boy, Georgi. He goes in and out, loves to talk and cuddle. Last Thursday morning I realized he hadn’t been in. I went and called and no Georgi. Found him just sitting in the backyard. He wouldn’t move so I picked him up and brought him in the house. Thought maybe he got into antifreeze. No vet would see him On Thursday. Friday morning comes, he pees in my bed and doesn’t move. very lethargic, won’t eat or drink. Finally get vet to see him, All tests come back good, has fever, they dont know for sure so antibiotics and pain meds. Right eye a little swollen. No marks on him anywhere. 1 week 2 days later not much better, eating but not using litter box. Seems like he has brain damage. Anyone else have this happen? Wish he could talk.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor boy - it does sound like he could have sustained a blow to his head - no broken bones otherwise?

He's peeing and pooping, just not where he should? Try puppy pee pads, low sided boxes, maybe a litter called Cat Attract.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carrilaszlo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. The pain meds might be helping him to feel like eating. Other than the litter box issue, what else is he doing that makes you think brain damage? You might check with the vet about doing a CT scan or MRI on his head.
Won’t look up, not talking, I haven’t given him a pain pill in days. He is just not his usual self.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I would just love on him and give him a safe place to be with his things. There's no way to know but he might come back from this slowly, or even snap out of it abruptly. How is his eye doing?

Maybe even try some low volume classical harp music - he might like it. In addition, he might like a heartbeat toy or a muffled ticking clock. These often help orphaned kittens but are viable for adult cats as well :vibes::heartshape:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Won’t look up, not talking, I haven’t given him a pain pill in days. He is just not his usual self.
Doesn't sound like brain damage to me. Sounds like he is still sick. What is going on now with his peeing/pooping? Is he eating better now? Have you given the vet an update since he started/finished the meds? Not all antibiotics work on all infections. How is his eye?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carrilaszlo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Doesn't sound like brain damage to me. Sounds like he is still sick. What is going on now with his peeing/pooping? Is he eating better now? Have you given the vet an update since he started/finished the meds? Not all antibiotics work on all infections. How is his eye?
His eye looks different, not swollen or bloody just different. Still not using litter box. He s eating and drinking now.