Cat not pooping/peeing day after being sick- am I overreacting?

jesmb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Derby is a 3 year old female. Yesterday, she threw up several times (every time she tried to eat) and wouldn’t eat/drink. We gave her a little water with an oral syringe. She had a bit of diarrhea but otherwise didn’t poop or pee.
Last night, she threw up a thin, inch long bug wing. It was clear that she immediately felt better and started drinking on her own. It’s worth noting we don’t have any winged bugs out here that are toxic to cats, so that’s not a worry.
Today, she’s eaten about half what she normally does and drank like normal, but still seems a little bit tired. I’ve only seen her pee once and it was earlier tonight, about a tablespoon amount.
I’m torn between “yeah, she didn’t eat or drink yesterday, of course she’s not peeing/pooping a lot today,” and “oh my god she’s in danger.” Because she and my other cat choose to use the same litter box, I set up one of our security cameras facing the litter box to see if she goes to the bathroom. If she doesn’t I’ll call the vet of course, but what if she only goes a little? Or still doesn’t poop but pees? Or the other way around? Am I overreacting and she’s just recovering from yesterday?

stoorworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty didn’t poop for 3 days even after his appetite returned full force, following 2 days of diarrhea and inappetence.
Called the vet and was told it was normal but to keep an eye on him just in case.
His GI tract needed some time to function normally again.
The lack of pee is probably due to loss of fluids due to vomiting and the diarrhea.

Try to keep her hydrated and feed her lots of small meals high in protein so she doesn’t have to overwork her already irritated GI tract.
It’d be best to give your vet a call too, just to be on the safe side. They’ll probably advise you to monitor her for a day or two and bring her in if she’s not improving.
Good luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're kinda at the inbetween stage here. Watch her. If she is not either back to normal or significantly improved by tomorrow, give your vet a call. IF she is still not eating, you may need to syringe feed her until she can be seen.

And, oh my goodness, let us know how she is doing!