Cat Not Peeing After Moving

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I moved my moggy to my new house around midnight last night. It's now 2.45 am the next day and he still hasn't used the litterbox. I don't use clumping litter, just a litter box with drainage holes that collect the pee on the bottom tray. There was some liquid in today, but not much, and I can't tell if it's the water from when I washed it or pee, as there's no colour and no smell. Should I bring him to the vet? He doesn't have a blocked urethra or anything as he was peeing and pooping right up to when we moved.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
How are things now? Is he eating, or drinking? I don't know but maybe take him in just to be on the safe side.

Can you try MusicForCats . Com or the app relaxmycat to help calm your kitty?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Ditto on the comments/questions by Furballsmom Furballsmom .

It would seem to be related to the move, at first blush. So, it sounds like he is just a bit freaked out over the move. Do you have items of his around the house that have his scent on them, to make the new place seem more familiar? Blankets/towels/toys/etc? Is he a cuddler? If so, cuddle with him more than usual. If he likes to play, get out his favorites and play more than normal with him.

Maybe you should take a step back and place everything he needs and likes in one room and let him get used to that room first?

You can also try some calming products just to see if they would help settle him down. Feliway, or Bach Rescue Remedy drops. There are a ton on the market, just do an internet search for "cat calming products".

Maybe some ideas on how to get him accustomed to his new home from this article? It addresses kittens and apartments, but the concepts apply across the board.

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom and Feebysowner! Feebysowner, those were great suggestions!
In the end, I thought that the location of his litterbox wasn't so great. I put the litterbox in a more secluded location and he went there to pee right away! Crisis averted!

Hi. Ditto on the comments/questions by Furballsmom Furballsmom .

It would seem to be related to the move, at first blush. So, it sounds like he is just a bit freaked out over the move. Do you have items of his around the house that have his scent on them, to make the new place seem more familiar? Blankets/towels/toys/etc? Is he a cuddler? If so, cuddle with him more than usual. If he likes to play, get out his favorites and play more than normal with him.

Maybe you should take a step back and place everything he needs and likes in one room and let him get used to that room first?

You can also try some calming products just to see if they would help settle him down. Feliway, or Bach Rescue Remedy drops. There are a ton on the market, just do an internet search for "cat calming products".

Maybe some ideas on how to get him accustomed to his new home from this article? It addresses kittens and apartments, but the concepts apply across the board.

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That's exactly what I have done every time we moved in the past. Great minds think alike! :thumbsup:

Glad he peed today and you figured out he preferred the litterbox to be in a more secluded location.