Cat not liking cuddles

Ellatomic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I adopted a 2 year old cat, her family was moving and anyway they told me that she is not very cuddly and that she is not the tipical cat that you can pick up and cuddle with. I absolutely adore the cat already, have her for around a month and a half, and i really want to cuddle with her and pet her and give her hugs and kisses. Sometimes i can but very few times and for a very short period, she starts to meow and goles away from me. Is there a way that by time she starts liking cuddles? She is adorable but as i said i cannot pet her or touch her un general as much as i would like to and idn is there a way for It to change because she is 2 years old?

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww.... what a beautiful kitty. :hearthrob: Thanks for giving her a home when her family was no longer able to keep her. :petcat:

About her not wanting to be picked up and cuddled, I have a similar cat. My Ruby girl is a love bug, and will do head bumps, purr up a storm, nap on my lap, or sleep snuggled up next to me. But she absolutely HATES being picked up or restrained in ANY way. I've tried to convince her it's ok, but in the almost 8 years I've had her, her "opinion" hasn't changed. So though I can't say with certainty your girl won't change, at 2 years old her purr-sonality is likely in place.

That said, there are things you can do to make "cuddling" more appealing. For example, Ruby prefers lap naps when I have a throw on my lap. So you could try doing that. And, keep in mind, though her entire purr-sonality probably won't change, she's only been with you a bit over a month, so she's still getting used to her new home.

There also might be some tips in this TCS article: 14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is so pretty, I can understand why you just want to cuddle her.I also have a cat that grizzles when I pick her up but can be so loving in other ways and just like rubysmama rubysmama cat, will jump up on my lap if I put a throw over my knees. It is great if they will cuddle but any affection from the is good, give her time, be patient and she may surprise you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty is like that, as well...although, once she turned 10, she got better about it. However, all interactions have to be instigated by her, not me. I know how badly you want to cuddle her, but forcing her will make her dislike it even more. Be patient, and find a good fuzzy throw!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When picking up the cat for cuddles or petting them, stop before they want you to. Leave them wanting more and cuddle & pet time will gradually get longer.