Cat Not Exited About Food As Before

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have a automatic feeder that dispenses food at certain hours. Navi has always been very exited about food and would stare at the feeder and run to it when it dispenses the dry food and eat it right away. Now she just walk to it, stares at it then walk away.

She finishes her food eventually, eating a bit every 15 minutes or so. So i'm not too worried about her starving, but still a little concernedz

Is this a sign of anything? health? Everything else seems pretty normal.

Thanks!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys have rarely done this, but when they do I have FortiFlora I will sprinkle on it to see if they are having a hard time smelling it, or if they feel truly cruddy. It's a probiotic supplement that's like kitty crack. A sachet only has about 3 pinches of powder in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boys have rarely done this, but when they do I have FortiFlora I will sprinkle on it to see if they are having a hard time smelling it, or if they feel truly cruddy. It's a probiotic supplement that's like kitty crack. A sachet only has about 3 pinches of powder in it.
But do you know why does it happen? Is it a health sign?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It can be an indication that something is going on health wise. You said she's peeing and pooping normally?
It can also be that the food recipe has been changed by the manufacturer and your cat doesn't like the change.
Have you tried canned food? Now might be an opportunity to see if your kitty will eat it.
Does she have a couple bowls of really good water changed every day?
If she hasn't been in to the vet for a while this might be a good time, just to be sure.
Thanks for being a great pet parent!

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! It can be an indication that something is going on health wise. You said she's peeing and pooping normally?
It can also be that the food recipe has been changed by the manufacturer and your cat doesn't like the change.
Have you tried canned food? Now might be an opportunity to see if your kitty will eat it.
Does she have a couple bowls of really good water changed every day?
If she hasn't been in to the vet for a while this might be a good time, just to be sure.
Thanks for being a great pet parent!
I give her wet food about once a week, she loves it. The problem seems to be with dry food, is not that she doesn't eat ot, just that she isnt exited about it anymore and takes a while to finish it.

Yes, she is pooping an peeing normally and has plenty of water.

The packaging of the dry food hasn't changed, but i guess i can do a little research to see if the formula is different or not.

Thank you for your reply!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Manufacturers have six months to change the labels so it might not be reflected yet, if that's in fact it and not that she is just getting bored....
Have you tried instinct raw boost?

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? Tuff is 3. He used to stay at his bowl until all food was devoured. Several months ago he slowed down--eats it all but takes a few breaks. I just assumed it was because he had outgrown his kitty stage and was growing up!

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? Tuff is 3. He used to stay at his bowl until all food was devoured. Several months ago he slowed down--eats it all but takes a few breaks. I just assumed it was because he had outgrown his kitty stage and was growing up!
Navi is 2.5 years, so it could be because she's older now?

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Manufacturers have six months to change the labels so it might not be reflected yet, if that's in fact it and not that she is just getting bored....
Have you tried instinct raw boost?
I thought it was a myth that cat could get bored of having the same food brand everyday? Kind of like a routine, knowing what to expect.

Do you recommend changing her food brand once in a while?? I have not tried the one you're mentioning, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I am not in USA but we do have Petco here.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think changing her food brand every now and then could be a good thing. It gives her system a chance to have different nutrients, because every manufacturers recipe/formula and ingredients are different.
I've also noticed lately that when I'm getting towards the bottom half of a bag my boy stops eating that food. It's so consistent that it makes me wonder if it isn't so much boredom as that the food just isn't tasting as good. Maybe warehouse storage facilities aren't taking enough care with pet food? I don't know. Hopefully for you that's just something that is occurring in the USA.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was a myth that cat could get bored of having the same food brand everyday? Kind of like a routine, knowing what to expect.

Do you recommend changing her food brand once in a while?? I have not tried the one you're mentioning, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I am not in USA but we do have Petco here.
It sounds to me like she's bored with her food. Some cats do get bored with their menu pretty quickly. It's easier to vary wet foods; just a thought but feeding more wet food might give her more variety!