Cat not eating.

jordanlynde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat stopped eating two days ago. Yesterday I noticed he was walking funny. And then this morning he couldn’t walk at all.

We took him to the vet and the vet said all his vital signs were normal, his blood tests and urinalysis canoe back fine, and then suggested we give him antibiotics, fluids, and an appetite stimulant.

It’s been almost five hours since then and nothing has changed in my cat. He is dragging himself around but is really struggling to do so. I don’t want to see him like this. He is old. He still won’t eat. I don’t want it to keep him alive if he is suffering...but I can’t tell if he is. He’s always been the one to sleep all day only to eat or use the bathroom. He can’t get into the litter box so he’s been going on the floor but I don’t care about that. I feel like he’s so weak just from not eating. I know something is causing it but I want to see if he can get any better just from eating.

So this brings me to my actual question- can I force my cat to eat? Feed a little gravy in a syringe to get something inside him? We gave him the appetite stimulate already but he’s still uninterested in food and water. Water I’m not as worried about since he has that fluid poicj

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By all means, syringe feed him some nutrition!! Here is an article about syringe feeding that might of some help, as you certainly want to be careful on how much you give him at one time. You can also try baby food meat (no onions, garlic, etc.) to see if he might eat that too - and try placing some food on a paper plate. I have no idea why that works, but with sick cats it seems to do so. I am hoping some other members come along soon and give you some additional tips of formulas you can buy or mix to help with calories.

Can you validate how long it should take for the appetite stimulant to kick in?

How To Syringe Feed a Cat | Dr. Sandra Truli Springer, Holistic Vet House Call Services

Edit: If syringe feeding doesn't work, consider getting a feeding tube placed so he can get some nutrients while you look further into what is causing his issues.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does the vet have any idea what is wrong? If not, you should take your cat to another vet for a second opinion. A "band aid" treatment of antibiotics, fluids, etc isn't going to help if the vet has no idea what the underlying issue is. An internal medicine vet might be better than a "regular" vet.

Is your cat indoor only? Could the cat have gotten into something poisonous?

If the cat isn't eating, you'll need to force feed with a syringe. Pet stores sell feeding syringes (for baby kittens and puppies) but a pharmacy might have some. 1 ml is too small so look for at least a 5 ml or larger size.

A feeding tube may be needed. The vet would have to put it in and show you how to give food and medicines through the tube.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jordanlynde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, even though I fed him some food, he passed in the night. I don't know why the vet would send such a sick cat home. I feel guilty. I had trusted what they said and now he's dead.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My deepest regrets and sincere sympathies go out to you. :grouphug: Please try not to feel guilty, as you said you trusted your vet and his/her guidance. RIP sweet angel.:angel:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:( im sorry your kitty passed away :( This is so sad, a bit strange when your vet is saying all the tests came back ok.
Was your cat an elderly cat ? He may have been having kidney or liver failure and your vet didnt pick up on it :(
I am really sorry that your vet didnt give you any answers as to why your precious cat was so sick.

I dont know what else to say other than if possible maybe ask for an autopsy to find out the reason why he was so ill, it may help you if there is something in the house that is poisonous if you own other cats or wanting to have another one in the future.

Again i am deeply sorry that you lost your best friend in such a short time span and so suddenly :(