Cat not eating wet food anymore, seems to be drawn to dry food.

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aside from hiding the dry food, what can I do? He was eating it just fine a month ago.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take him to the vet. Cats are creatures of habit. Changes in these habits can point to some injury or illness that cats instinctually try to hide. Sometimes a change in food preference can point to a dental issue. Or if he has nausea, sometimes the appeal of dry food can cut through that nausea. Whatever the case, I’d rather rule out a possible health issue before spending too much time trying to match wits with him. Because cats can also be stubborn and fickle. Or perhaps the wet food manufacturer changed the formula or there was a difference between batches perceptible to him. Or…. ?

Ironically, this could be the result of a tooth issue. Cats don’t chew dry very much. Maybe a crunch or two before they swallow. If he knows which tooth is bothering him, he can crunch on the other side. Wet food may be too challenging to avoid the problem tooth. If that’s what this is…

And so yeah, it may seem excessive and expensive and stressful to take him to the vet for a change in diet preference. But since cats hide discomfort and pain, I’d much rather rule that out before wrestling with a cat’s fickle preferences.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aside from health-related issues, do you change his wet food often or at all? Or has he been eating the same wet food for a long time? Was he on dry food only at one point in time before you added wet food? For example, Feeby ate dry food only (same one or two) for years and years. After I started feeding wet food, it is like a revolving door of different canned foods to keep her eating. However, she is older, and just general aging can sometimes play a role in how picky a cat becomes when dealing with food.

You could also do a test by soaking some of the dry food in water and see what happens. If he likes it with water mixed in, that could point to the wet foods he has been eating just not tasting as appetizing as they once were. You could also try using the dry food as a topper to the wet food.

Knowing a bit more details about your cat, in general, and some history on his prior foods could go a long way to helping members think of other potential resolutions. Also, how old is he?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just went to the vet last week. Clean bill of health. Nothing food wise was changed aside from his wet food. He was being given friskys for a while then went back to his regular food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He just went to the vet last week. Clean bill of health. Nothing food wise was changed aside from his wet food. He was being given friskys for a while then went back to his regular food.
By regular food, I take it that you mean his dry food? It sounds to me like you are going to have to experiment with other wet foods - a couple just mentioned above, but there are plenty of others available as well. It is highly possible that he just won't eat one or two wet foods alone - it might be a whole host of different ones to keep him interested in wet food. I don't suggest you will have to resort to what I am doing, but Feeby has at least a week's worth of food rotation so that she is less likely to tire of any of them.

Short of that, I think it was suggested before that you try adding a bit of water to his dry food and see how he reacts. If he is OK with that, then you can continue to test just exactly how much water you can add to the dry over time. It might be that he will end up eating his dry food - some with and some without water being added.

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By regular food, I take it that you mean his dry food? It sounds to me like you are going to have to experiment with other wet foods - a couple just mentioned above, but there are plenty of others available as well. It is highly possible that he just won't eat one or two wet foods alone - it might be a whole host of different ones to keep him interested in wet food. I don't suggest you will have to resort to what I am doing, but Feeby has at least a week's worth of food rotation so that she is less likely to tire of any of them.

Short of that, I think it was suggested before that you try adding a bit of water to his dry food and see how he reacts. If he is OK with that, then you can continue to test just exactly how much water you can add to the dry over time. It might be that he will end up eating his dry food - some with and some without water being added.
No, I was feeding him Blue Buffalo, then my mother switched him to Friskys which was making him vomit so I told her to switch him to back to Blue Buffalo which upset her so much she told me to buy my food for him myself.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, I was feeding him Blue Buffalo, then my mother switched him to Friskys which was making him vomit so I told her to switch him to back to Blue Buffalo which upset her so much she told me to buy my food for him myself.
So, will he eat Blue Buffalo or not? If he does, can you buy it for him? Would that solve the problem?

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he doing better? How old is your cat? My cat Peaches ate wellness core and wellness complete mostly til she was 1. Then her throwing up problem started. she tried pate,pate lid,pate shredded. Now she eats wellness core hearty cuts,ff classics,nutro perfect portions,farmina nd quail or duck. Different textures,different proteins every day. Rawz pate is too "rich" for her.

Some cats cannot suddenly switch to a different food. Slowly add more every day. How long does he wait for his next meal? I use a food timer at night. What time of day does he throw up? He is older now so he may need adjustments
Sorry you are having so much trouble. It can be frustrating,especially when you have 3 cats!

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All was well until this morning when I found a monstrously huge turd in his litter pan. Was expecting to find blood near by. He's 8 years old and only likes chicken pate but my mother who is caring for him buys him whatever.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Why were you expecting blood? If you can, find out what he is allergic to so trial and error. Can you take him to the vet for exam and blood work? Too much throwing up can hurt his esophagus. Hope he feels better soon

Last edited:

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was expecting blood because I didn't know such a large poop could come out of my cat.