Cat not eating well

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have posted about this same topic earlier this year too. So I have 1 year old orieantal shorthair boy (not castrated). He eats very little. 3 pieces of raw meat in the morning and 4 in the evening. He get's all he needs from this raw meat mix because it's made for cats but it's still very little food for him. Sometimes he eats a chicken heart too. He doesn't want to eat any wet food or any kibble. I have tried lot's of different foods and he doesn't even try to taste them. He used to eat applaws wet food but stopped that about a month ago too. He was diagnosed with Mycoplasma few weeks ago and he is on antibiotics. He acts completely normal, energetic young cat who likes to play, and jump around. He sleeps the normal amount for a young cat. Nothing weird there. Vet has told me that it may be caused by his hormones. Sometimes hormonal boy cats may not want to eat at all, or that's what she told me. He literally runs and hides when I take the food bowl because he knows he has to eat. He doesn't eat from the bowl anymore and I have to throw the food in front of him on the floor. He also has slow bowel movement because he gets no fiber from his food :/ I can't leave the food in the bowl because my other cat will eat it. Any idea what could help?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
So, am I to understand he's not neutered? If you put more food on the floor, will he eat that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
So, am I to understand he's not neutered? If you put more food on the floor, will he eat that?
Not neutered, and he will only eat about 4 pieces of raw meat when I throw them on the floor. He usually refuses if I try to give more.

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will you be neutering him?
Not for some time. He is supposed to be used for breeding and that is why he is not neutered. Of course, if his hormones are the cause for his bad appetite, he will be neutered. His wellbeing comes first.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello! I have posted about this same topic earlier this year too. So I have 1 year old orieantal shorthair boy (not castrated). He eats very little. 3 pieces of raw meat in the morning and 4 in the evening. He get's all he needs from this raw meat mix because it's made for cats but it's still very little food for him. Sometimes he eats a chicken heart too. He doesn't want to eat any wet food or any kibble. I have tried lot's of different foods and he doesn't even try to taste them. He used to eat applaws wet food but stopped that about a month ago too. He was diagnosed with Mycoplasma few weeks ago and he is on antibiotics. He acts completely normal, energetic young cat who likes to play, and jump around. He sleeps the normal amount for a young cat. Nothing weird there. Vet has told me that it may be caused by his hormones. Sometimes hormonal boy cats may not want to eat at all, or that's what she told me. He literally runs and hides when I take the food bowl because he knows he has to eat. He doesn't eat from the bowl anymore and I have to throw the food in front of him on the floor. He also has slow bowel movement because he gets no fiber from his food :/ I can't leave the food in the bowl because my other cat will eat it. Any idea what could help?
Magnus was similar and it was an allergy to beef. Now that there is no beef in his food, he eats very well. It took almost a full year to build up his appetite once we discovered his allergy.

Can you try an alternative protein that's a limited ingredient diet? You can add some pumpkin, sweet potato or double cooked rice (cook normally and then boil in water and make a mush) as a plain fibre if he will eat it. Nori and cat grass can be fun treats that add fibre too.

Running away from food and everything, us tossing kibbles just so he'd eat....that's really identical.

My vet said it's really common in oriental cats and she was surprised to see it in a regular cat like Magnus. She says we lucked out and got pure bred issues on him 😹

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Magnus was similar and it was an allergy to beef. Now that there is no beef in his food, he eats very well. It took almost a full year to build up his appetite once we discovered his allergy.

Can you try an alternative protein that's a limited ingredient diet? You can add some pumpkin, sweet potato or double cooked rice (cook normally and then boil in water and make a mush) as a plain fibre if he will eat it. Nori and cat grass can be fun treats that add fibre too.

Running away from food and everything, us tossing kibbles just so he'd eat....that's really identical.

My vet said it's really common in oriental cats and she was surprised to see it in a regular cat like Magnus. She says we lucked out and got pure bred issues on him 😹
Sorry for a late reply! Good to hear I'm not the only one 😹. I don't give hime beef, the raw meatballs he eats have chicken, pork, turkey and herring. I wonder if he is allergic to some of those. Also I have never heard that is common in orientals, makes me feel bit better that it's somewhat "normal". I just feel really silly when I am chasing him all over the house with meatballs and he just runs away as if I'm doing something bad to him. My other cat just keeps getting fatter as he eats all my oriental boy's food. *sigh* Well, scince he will not be used for breeding for some time, I got him an hormone implant which hopefully makes him less hormonal. Hopefully it also increases his appetite. Oh and by the way! I gave him some cat grass and he loved it, he ate so much of it that I had to take it away from him before he pukes. It's pretty useless for me to take him to the vet scince he acts completely normal + we got bloodwork done at summer and all was normal. Also x-rays and all normal too. Thank you both for answers and help!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S Snuugel once we discovered what his allergy was, Magnus started eating fairly well. I never have to chase him anymore.

He was running from the food because he didn't feel great eating it.

Try just feeding him 1 type of protein for four weeks. Then, you can add one other type back in, see if he will eat it.