Cat not eating well.

Dtm1966-2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (12 year old) gets fed wet food in morning and dry food the rest of the day. On Thursday she ate her wet food but did not eat her dry food. I realized she hadn’t eaten the dry food on Friday morning. On Friday morning she wouldn’t eat much of her wet food and was even more lazy. I continued to feed her wet food during the day and offered her the kittens dry food. She loves the kitten food but I don’t normally give it to her because she is on the higher side of a good weight. We are normally trying to very slowly slim her don’t a little. When she tries to eat dry food she acts to me like her throat may be sore. And her meow is horse. I got her to eat several small meals throughout the day. Mainly the wet food. I continued to feed her wet food though out the day today (Saturday) and she is eating slightly better but refuses dry food. She has an appointment at the vet Monday. How much food must she eat to prevent hepatic lipidosis. She is probably eating 2.5 - 3 oz of wet food per day. Which is not normally enough enough calories. But is it ok till Monday morning. I can syringe feed her if I need to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dtm1966-2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will add she ate normally on Wednesday so this is a new development

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is eating two and a half 3 oz cans of food? Of course the brand/type of food matters in terms of how many calories are involved, but that would seem to be at least 200 calories per day. What is her normal intake? The difference between these two amounts is a bigger determinate of whether she is getting enough calories.

It would be my guess she is getting enough to be OK. If you are really concerned, then err on the side of caution - you can always see if she will eat some dry that has been moistened with water or broth. Or, you could give her baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) - a jar of that a day could add up to 80-90 calories to her diet.

Last edited:

Dtm1966-2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I wasn’t clear. She is eating between 2.5 oz and 3 oz of wet food. Not two and a half 3 oz cans. I am still trying to get her to eat some dry food as well but I have not tried softening it. She doesn’t seem to be in real distress so I will wait till tomorrow and go to the appointment we have scheduled.

Dtm1966-2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I am nervous because a month or two ago her sister stopped eating and I didn’t notice for a few days. (The sister is more timid and likes to eat undisturbed). We almost lost her. So now snowflake is off her food and I don’t want it to get that bad

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is a small amount of food, but I think you are OK for now, especially since your appt. is tomorrow, and this hasn't been going on too long. You can always go to the grocery store and grab some baby food meat. There are very few cats that don't like it. Keep us posted.