Cat Not Eating Or Using Litter Box

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have house guests that brought their dog with them. The dog hates all cats. My husband says that we have to welcome our guests regardless of how the dog reacts to our cat, Peaches aged 11 months. Peaches has not eaten or used the litter box for 48 hours, except for 2 meat stick treats. Peaches ate one last evening and one today. I keep Peaches separated from the dog as well as I can in my small ranch home. Even when we all leave the house, she is in the exact same place when we come home, as she does not know when the dog will be back in the house. I know that Peaches is stressed. BTW, Peaches is very fastidious about her litter habits. If she wants her box cleaned, she will not go elsewhere. She will wait by her box to let me know that she is not happy. I clean her box a minimum of twice a day, so I know the volume of "output" to expect. Is her reaction normal? Should I be concerned by the lack of eating and litter box avoidance.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is concerning, and can be dangerous to her health if that goes on. I’d get the dog out of the house If I were you

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband says that we have to welcome our guests regardless of how the dog reacts to our cat
This is so very wrong on so many levels. And just plain messed up. Why let them bring their dog who hates cats to a home with a cat, not to mention what kind of house guest are they to have the nerve to bring along a cat hating dog?? I can't believe people can be like that.

This cat needs medical attention now. Cats who don't eat for more than 24 hours can get really sick REALLY quickly. I would expect your guests to foot the bills for the problems they are causing to your pets health and well being. Sorry to be so blunt but this is ridiculous. Get these people out of your home.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you are going through this awful experience but perhaps this is a conversation your spouse and you should have had before your guests arrived knowing their dog hates cats. Now it has adversely affected Peaches and that's not okay. :nono: I'm curious what your guests have to say about your cat's health and well being. Are they at all concerned? I don't mean to make you feel worse than you already do but I think it's time to have a serious discussion with your husband. I realize you probably feel stuck in the middle but please think how Peaches feels. She comes first since this is her house too.

Please keep us updated on your situation and have that talk with your husband.
Good luck!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All other things being equal, you do have to put up with your guests’ dog, but things are not equal, are they? The dog’s presence is making your cat sick, maybe even endangering her life.

You need to do something to get Peaches to eat. As jen jen said, cats can get very sick if they stop eating. Either get the dog or Peaches out of the house. I would say it makes more sense to get rid of the dog, since you don’t know how Peaches would do away from home. If you feel obligated to your houseguests, offer to pay for a motel room for them; they’ll refuse if they want to continue being your friends.

Did these people ask whether they could bring a dog?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jen, silkenpaw and neely,

Thank you for the reinforcement. You think just as I do. But I cannot make my husband believe that I am being reasonable and our guests are not.

The dog is shut up in the bedroom with the guests and they are leaving tomorrow. I have taken water and dry food to her and she has eaten and drank small amounts in the last hour. I will stay up with her tonight and monitor her. Hopefully she will want to continue eating and drinking small amounts. I was so afraid that Peaches might want to eat ravenously, which would also be bad.

However, this does not make things right for my cat. But I will try to talk sense into my husband if the guests want to visit again. When a "friend" of mine she asked to bring her Great Dane, I said no. And she has not talked to me again. My husband blames me for losing that "friend" and doesn't want this to happen again.

So far none of my dog friends do not respect my pet and my wishes. Are all dog owners this inconsiderate? I reluctantly think so.

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is horribly inconsiderate of your dog owning friends. A friend who doesn't speak to you after that is not someone that cares about you! You are better off without that negativity in your life. I would tell my husband to mind his own business too but perhaps that is why I am not married hahaha. I can't believe your husband blames you as if you are the one being unreasonable. I am sorry you have to deal with that.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Are all dog owners this inconsiderate? I reluctantly think so.
Definitely not since I am a dog owner too and many of our members on the site have dogs that reside peacefully with their cats. Don't be discouraged since your guests are leaving tomorrow. Fingers crossed Peaches will be happy :crossfingers: and content once her life returns to normal.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep dogs and I would never presume to bring my dog (or cat) to anyone’s house. Thank goodness Peaches is eating and I hope things go back to normal once your guests leave. But you do have to have a talk with your husband about this. I hope he understands your point of view. Good luck to you and scritches behind the ear for Peaches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My spouse and I had a very short talk, his idea to keep it short. He says that in the future we will only visit their house. If our friends ask to visit us, he says he will tell them that we prefer to visit them at their house. He will not agree to handle this issue properly.

Peaches is sipping water and nibbling food occasionally for the last couple of hours. She has used her box one time. Hopefully, after the guests move the dog's dishes from Peaches eating area, and can return Peaches to her normal spot her appetite will improve. Yes, our guests moved Peaches food aside to feed their dog. I move the dog bowls and they move them back, they don't have a clue.