Cat Not Eating Much After Dental Surgery

mlwinchell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a 13 year old cat named Humphrey that had dental surgery on Wednesday. He had his teeth cleaned and one extraction. I have one more day of pain killers to give him. He had an antibiotic shot that will last for 2 weeks the day of surgery. He is drinking some water but not eating much at all. A few bites of soft food with broth or chicken 2 or 3 times a day and that is all. I am concerned about him not eating enough. he is also sleeping a lot, which after surgery I am not that concerned about.
He also had a Horner's syndrome diagnosis after the surgery. His left eye is tearing, drooping and his third eye is not going down. The Vet said this is due to the extraction and the nerve was affected, and should clear up in 6-8 weeks....
I am very concerned he is not eating enough, but also worried about his eye.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - can you talk more with your vet about Humphrey's lack of enthusiasm for food?

Can you see if there's anything here that might help:
Try some MusicForCats . com or the app Relax My Cat.

Try sitting with him and see if he'll lick food off your finger or a spoon.

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

Also here is a compilation of things;

Try feeding in different locations - and utilize different heights. For example put a couple of books underneath the dish, next time use two thick phone books, or a small-ish box so the heights are varied....

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Also you could try some Nutri-cal or similar product.

Try making these recipes - they're just as viable for an adult cat as for kittens;
Kitten-Rescue.com

These below can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.

Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up, lettuce, applesauce, mashed chickpeas, black olives
  • whipped topping such as reddiwhip
  • dry pasta
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese, string cheese

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, if he is drinking water, you might try making a slurry of his food, mixing pate food with water until it is soupy. That may be easier for him until his mouth heals.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH GOOD! I was hoping for an update from you! Once someone posts here, their cat becomes, in some small way, OUR cat, as well, and we fret when we never hear from them again.