Cat not eating her food ?

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.

My cat has stopped eating her dry food. She just comes and smells it and then goes away. She has been on the same brand for around 2 years.

Instead she comes to us when we're eating and tries to eat from our stuff. And she also eats her treats normally. She is definitely hungry and has lost weight.

Any idea what the reason could be? ( I will probably get a vet to see her in a few days when lockdown is finished here). I went to the pet shop and brought a special type for sensitive stomachs but she only showed interest in it for a short while. Now she is ignoring that as well.

Thanks,

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you tried some different types of canned food to see if she might eat those? There are also all kinds of food toppers that could be added to her dry food to see if that would entice her to eat it. Even mixing some canned with the dry might be another thing to try.

Below is a link to a TCS article with ideas of different things to try to 'jump start' her eating.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats do get bored with bored after awhile. I would recommend getting some good quality wet food and a different dry to see if that will entice your cat to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did try Tuna but she wasn't interested. So I figure she doesn't want wet food either?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is definitely hungry and has lost weight.
The weight loss is something to keep an eye on, if after she starts eating again that doesn't improve (you can weigh her once a week or so if you have a bathroom scale :) ), definitely take her in.

I did try Tuna but she wasn't interested. So I figure she doesn't want wet food either?
Not necessarily - there are a lot of different types of protein out there beyond the regular beef, chicken and tuna, including rabbit and venison, as well as different types of consistency;
Canned Cat food Spreadsheets

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
U wanna know if ur cat is still alive? No joke here but try KFC chicken!!! NEVER ever saw a cat refuse it that was alive & breathing, haha. HOLY GRAIL of a cats diet in emergencies. It'll fatten them up & surely test if they can eat yet? Heck my g/f ate half the bag intended for my feral already!:( ...;):)