Cat not eating (has kidney disease)

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like a lot of cats with kidney disease, my girl can get fussy about food. I have two brands of prescription food, both canned and dried, which for the past few days she hasn't eaten, or just barely nibbled on. She ate some dried food early this morning but vomited it and hasn't touched anything since then (it's late afternoon). I ordered a third brand from the vet earlier today, as well as a few cans of something I'd had before but don't have at the moment. However, what can I do NOW? Obviously if she won't touch the special diet food, at least for a day or two I have to get something in her. Should I offer her the "regular" food my other two cats eat? Try mixing her prescription food with a bit of broth to make it taste better? Try baby food? I can ask the vet for an appetite stimulant or something to control nausea, but may not be able to get that for a day or two, and she may need an appointment first. They might let me have a prescription food (Science Diet A/D) I've used before for cats who have need a high value food, but again, it's late in the day, so I need some suggestions I can follow immediately while getting back to the vet tomorrow. There is an emergency vet clinic very near me, and they might have medications in stock. However, I'm not sure this is quite an "emergency" yet, just a situation that needs monitoring and lower level interventions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would try all of the ideas you mentioned above. Hopefully one of them will do the trick. You have to start somewhere and the ideas you have in mind are as good as any.

Canned tuna or chicken in water is another possibility, deli turkey or chicken, and any lickable treats that you might have are the things to try after that. You could even try KMR (kitten milk replacer) if she will drink/lap up anything. If you can get her to drink water, you could also add children's unflavored Pedialyte to it to help with electrolytes.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having the same problem. I have been mixing in freeze dried chicken or some ground meat from my other cats meal. She has crystals,not kidney disease. Can you call your vet?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had three kidney cats and our Vet said getting them to eat ANYTHING was much more important than getting them to eat what is the best thing for them (kidney food). So I'd go with whatever she will eat at this point. Then see if you can get an appetite stimulant (we used one we could rub into her ear), AND possible an anti-emetic and/or anacid for comfort. Are you giving her fluids yet? It may be time if she's not eating, or it may simply be she doesn't like that food. I found our guys ate better if they are smaller, more frequent meals. Maybe 8 - 9 meals per day of only a tablespoon or so per meal.

Have you seen this website: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat It's the BEST for everything kidney related, discusses different medications, what to do for loss of appetite, how to give fluids, where to buy supplies, etc.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she's getting fluids. We shoot for every other day, but it's often more like twice a week. I will be asking the vet in the morning about meds for nausea and vomiting as well as appetite stimulants. I dread having to give her all of that (I've been told a way to give them all at once in a gel cap), but if she needs them, so be it. She ate some regular cat food this evening, although later I found that either she or her mom, who spends time in the same area of the house, had vomited (it looked like dry, not canned food). Oddly enough her mom has been picky about food lately too, and as far as I know she's perfectly healthy (her last vet check-up was maybe six months ago). The mom isn't on any special diet but loves to snatch the kidney diet food if she can! Hard to keep up with what's going on with my gang, which includes a cat with lymphoma.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Like a lot of cats with kidney disease, my girl can get fussy about food. I have two brands of prescription food, both canned and dried, which for the past few days she hasn't eaten, or just barely nibbled on. She ate some dried food early this morning but vomited it and hasn't touched anything since then (it's late afternoon). I ordered a third brand from the vet earlier today, as well as a few cans of something I'd had before but don't have at the moment. However, what can I do NOW? Obviously if she won't touch the special diet food, at least for a day or two I have to get something in her. Should I offer her the "regular" food my other two cats eat? Try mixing her prescription food with a bit of broth to make it taste better? Try baby food? I can ask the vet for an appetite stimulant or something to control nausea, but may not be able to get that for a day or two, and she may need an appointment first. They might let me have a prescription food (Science Diet A/D) I've used before for cats who have need a high value food, but again, it's late in the day, so I need some suggestions I can follow immediately while getting back to the vet tomorrow. There is an emergency vet clinic very near me, and they might have medications in stock. However, I'm not sure this is quite an "emergency" yet, just a situation that needs monitoring and lower level interventions.

What she needs is water so please make sure she has access to fresh water and that she is actually drinking it. If not, you may want to use a small syringe. I say this not only because she has kidney disease but also that vomiting can cause dehydration.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try all of the ideas you mentioned above. Hopefully one of them will do the trick. You have to start somewhere and the ideas you have in mind are as good as any.

Canned tuna or chicken in water is another possibility, deli turkey or chicken, and any lickable treats that you might have are the things to try after that. You could even try KMR (kitten milk replacer) if she will drink/lap up anything. If you can get her to drink water, you could also add children's unflavored Pedialyte to it to help with electrolytes.
I bought tuna in water for my cat. She wanted to drink it all. I assume she knows when to stop. She loved it!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As far as meds go, we simply could NOT pill our last kidney cat. Even the Vet techs couldn't do it. So we either got meds that were injectable (antacids) or were transdermal gels. That way she didn't get stressed out any more than necessary (sub-qs were the exception) AND, some meds can actually be added to the sub-qs, but if only given twice a week that might not work.

Glad she ate something. Hope it wasn't her who vomited, but if it was, it may be time to increase her fluid intake. That of course is a discussion to have with your Vet, probably after another blood test to see where she is in the disease process :frown:

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate giving any of my cats pills. Luna has had full mouth extraction, so she can't hurt me if she tries to bite, but she still has claws! Liquid is usually easier, and I've also used several that were transdermal, although I got "caught" between two "experts," one of whom said the transdermal formation didn't work at all, and the other who said it was as good as the other options. I chose the convenience of the transdermal. When you mentioned giving medication in the sub-q, it reminded me that we had done that with Luna. She had to wait months for dental surgery and was on a lot of meds to keep her healthy and strong until the appointment, and then other meds afterward until she was fully recovered, so we had to resort to a lot of strategies. If we were going to go that route again, I'd be more diligent and make sure I adhered to the schedule. She's also been on a feeding tube at least once, maybe twice, but I wouldn't think that's an option at this stage.
I fed Luna some non-prescription food twice today. In the evening I put a spoon of regular food and one of the prescription diet into the dish to see what she would do, but something came up and I couldn't stick around to monitor the situation—which did she eat, or did her roommate/mom eat some or all of what I left for Luna instead of her own dish (I wasn't using the Sure Feed units). I'll try that again in the morning and hang around to observe. At least I didn't notice any vomit, for a change. She has an appointment with the vet in the morning to discuss her condition, medication, food choices, etc.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finally found a food that rerun will eat. It's not the kidney vet stuff. I'm planning to use a phosphorus binder called Rx Vitamins Phos-Bind Dog & Cat Supplement, 200-g;

Rx Vitamins Phos-Bind supplement helps support kidney health in pets. It works with dietary phosphorus in the bowel to help encourage normal function in the kidneys. This hypoallergenic powder is also ideal for those dogs and cats with sensitivities...

I've spent a small fortune on trying to find a food she will consume. 24 cans of vet protected food at $56.00 to find out she will not even lick it. I figure the phosphorus binder will do the same but she will be eating again.

I talked to an older vet and he said it was more important the cat eat and the binder will take the load off the kidneys and pass the phosphorus through the bowels of the cat. Tasteless to the cat.

Last edited:

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dear 22 year old Molly had failing kidneys, with the prescription and prescription diet. The only thing that got her munchies was turkey bone broth (no salt added) and her favorite, Spaghetti-O's. Unfortunately as her disease progressed, she rejected the prescription food. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty isn't eating right now. The omega supplements (Nature's Instinct(?)) In the freeze dried rabbit flavor can be crumbled into a powder too and that's what my late 17 year old mancoon Teddy Bear was all over when she lost her appetite due to liver cancer. I hope this helps!! <3

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finally found a food that rerun will eat. It's not the kidney vet stuff. I'm planning to use a phosphorus binder called Rx Vitamins Phos-Bind Dog & Cat Supplement, 200-g;

Rx Vitamins Phos-Bind supplement helps support kidney health in pets. It works with dietary phosphorus in the bowel to help encourage normal function in the kidneys. This hypoallergenic powder is also ideal for those dogs and cats with sensitivities...

I've spent a small fortune on trying to find a food she will consume. 24 cans of vet protected food at $56.00 to find out she will not even lick it. I figure the phosphorus binder will do the same but she will be eating again.

I talked to an older vet and he said it was more important the cat eat and the binder will take the load off the kidneys and pass the phosphorus through the bowels of the cat. Tasteless to the cat.
I asked the vet about a phosphorus binder and he said that Luna's phosphorous levels had been OK when she last had lab tests so that the binders weren't necessary. He prescribed Cerenia. I haven't given her any yet because I don't think she's vomited today. She hasn't been her usual self, though, trying to hide in a room where there aren't true hiding places, perhaps still peeved from the vet visit. She did eat some of the new prescription food. Surprisingly, given her frequent minimal interest or complete avoidance of the various prescription foods these last few weeks or even months, she has gained weight. Doesn't make any sense, but I didn't need to find out what the scales at the clinic said; I could see for myself.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know when you love a cat, and they have been in your family for over 16 years it's just tuff to let go. I finally got something for her to eat. So I'm going with it. Best of luck with your kitty.