Cat not eating after dental extractions--worried sick

LavenderFields

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat with ckd had several extractions on Friday and has not been eating much.

The night of the surgery she ate some canned cat food and soaked kibble. (Whatever medicine she gets after a surgery makes her ravenous, and she eats anything under her nose. Normally she's extremely picky.) The next day (Saturday) she refused food, she didn’t want anything I was offering her. I was very worried so on Sunday I called the vet, they gave her sub q fluids and an injection for nausea. She was fine for a while and she ate a decent amount. I took her for a follow up Tuesday and they gave her another shot for nausea and a shot for antibiotics. They weighed her and she didn't lose since Sunday so the vet doesn't think it's her kidneys. I've been giving her pain meds twice a day but she's not doing well today it seems. I think she ate a little last night, but she hasn't eaten today at all as far as I know (presently 1pm in the afternoon).

I'm worried sick about her and don't know what to do to get her to eat. She hates can food, human food, treats, and will only eat her specific brand of dry kibble. I've chopped that up in small pieces so she can eat it, which she occasionally does. She doesn't like bonito flakes or that chibi paste. I've offered her pate and gravy canned food. Just gets a sniff, if that. She's just SO picky and stubborn. So frustrated and feeling so helpless. Does anyone have any advice? Am I being too panicky? =( Any words of wisdom appreciated.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Did your vet suggest Mirtazapine to stimulate her appetite? If not you may want to call and ask their opinion.
I know you mentioned trying different methods to get her to eat but thought this Article might have some helpful advice for you:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

Best of luck, I hope your cat's appetite perks up and she starts feeling better soon. :goodluck:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nearly a week after surgery she may not need pain prevention any longer. In fact, it could be why she isn't eating well.
Personally I would talk to my vet again and ask if the pain relief is necessary. All my cats that have had dentals were sent home with a long acting pain reliever via injection with no further medication needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LavenderFields

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Appreciate the replies!! Thank you. I gave her a half of a teaspoon of weight gain goo along with a pain med about an hour and a half ago. She did finally eat after that thank goodness. I'll take a look at the linked article and call my vet about the pain meds right meow. Thanks again! :lovecat: