Cat Not Covering Poop In Litter

YaseminGuzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

I recently adopted a cat, she's around 8 months and she does not know how to cover her litter. It's frustrating because we have now changed her litter type three times and still does not cover it :( We have sat her down and shown her how to cover it as well but I just don't know what else to do. Her litter box was originally covered and then we thought she may not like that so we took the lid off but its made no difference. The litter is cleaned every day so that also cannot be the problem and its also large enough (1.5 times her size) I don't know what else to do and it leaves such a horrible smell because she literally just poops walks off. I have also taken her to the vet as well and there doesnt seem to be any underlying health issues either...

any ideas or advice?

thanks
Yas x

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try a different food (canned, Merrick Backcountry or Natural Balance), and if that doesn't work try an automatic litterbox. She may never cover it, my boy doesn't either.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Some cats just don't cover their poop. Feeby did, then she didn't, then she did, and then she didn't. No changes in food, no changes in litter, no changes in litterbox. No health issue related to when she did or did not cover it. I cover it for her. She is 15(or so).

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give her a second litter box. Some cats cover, some don’t. An automatic box (with sand like litter) hopefully will help. I would try to get litter that is as close to sand or dirt texture as possible. Maybe get a box with a lid so you don’t have to see the poop.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just don't cover their poop :dunno: It's not a medical issue or even behavioral. It's just one of those odd cat quirks that you just learn to live with :rolleyes:

You can try an automatic litter box that will move the poop into a waste container to minimize the odor. Placing odor absorbents near the litter box can help, too. Not air fresheners or scented stuff. Those can deter a cat from even using the box. Use something like activated charcoal odor absorber or baking soda absorber.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YaseminGuzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats just don't cover their poop :dunno: It's not a medical issue or even behavioral. It's just one of those odd cat quirks that you just learn to live with :rolleyes:

You can try an automatic litter box that will move the poop into a waste container to minimize the odor. Placing odor absorbents near the litter box can help, too. Not air fresheners or scented stuff. Those can deter a cat from even using the box. Use something like activated charcoal odor absorber or baking soda absorber.

This odour absorber looks great and I will definitely be trying it out. An automatic litter box might also be my best bet, is there any that you can recommend? Thank you :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YaseminGuzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Some cats just don't cover their poop. Feeby did, then she didn't, then she did, and then she didn't. No changes in food, no changes in litter, no changes in litterbox. No health issue related to when she did or did not cover it. I cover it for her. She is 15(or so).
Haha I think I just need to remember that cats run the show and will do as they please ;)

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the litter deep enough? Ailish is a real digger and a good coverer (she had a GREAT Mama Cat), but I notice she doesn't cover as much when the litter gets kind of shallow. I generally keep it fairly deep, as it just seems to be easier to scoop that way.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try giving her more litter to dig. Count normally covers his poop, but if there isn't enough litter to cover, he just leaves it open. Maybe she wants to dig deeper too. Otherwise your best bet may be an automatic litterbox, but keep in mind that they are expensive. Based on your name, I assume you are from Turkey, and here a Catgenie costs about 3000₺ as far as I can remember.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine doesn't cover. If I feed him raw meat only, there is no smell and it dries hard as a rock and turns white color within a day. If he gets his special diet food? When that hits litter box the smell will melt glass. We scoop it up asap and flush it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may start covering her poop when she no longer feels the need to
prove your place is her new turf.

Courtforshort27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Only 1 out of my 3 cats cover up their poop. Hysterically, whenever my two senior girls go to the bathroom, he smells it and immediately will run over to the litter box to cover it up for them!! It’s the funniest thing ever! The only suggestion I can give to ya... get her a friend from a shelter that you know covers their stank!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Only one of my 4(now 3) never covered her litter, since she was 1 yr old to 17. Lots and lots of litter helps. Is it covered? Some cats do not like it covered. My litter boxes are homemade. They to be at least twice the length of the cat so she can move around. Litter almost 3 inches high.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zoe doesn't either! She never got the hang of it. She scrapes the sides of the box and thinks shes done a good job. Luckily Lily is a neat freak and she is disgusted by Zoes behavior and goes behind her and covers it for her. Just something some never get the hang of no matter how many times you show them.