Cat not able to keep down usual food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Emrys is acting like he usually does when it's not unwell at the moment. He's looking at something outside the window with great intrest then back at me because I'm sitting here sobbing because after 4-5 days of freaking out thinking I was going to have to say goodbye at any moment I know now he's going to be okay, and I have several more years with my cute pain in the rump who's lucky he's cute.

He's still being watched, and we're still trying to get him to eat canned cat food instead of wet and honestly soggy dry food, but he's been tolerating small amounts just fine and hasn't thrown up anymore so far. I have the windows open as it's not hot out today where I am and he's been enjoying the fresh air and all the smells that float through the house on the breeze.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Setback? Em seems okay, but he threw up a hairball and then a smaller hairball about an hour ago. He doesn't appear to have any trouble and I got to him soon after it happened, and he didn't seem to have any issues with choking or anything.

After everything, I'm scared/worried all the same. The vet is closed until Monday, and it's a pain in the backside to get them to come out for an emergency. As they're always like are you really sure you need me to come out it'll be 200 dollars and no promises I can help your pet or That's nothing to worry about just do this thing, and it should be okay. Like we don't know when our pet is horribly off and needs care asap.

Anyway I'm freaking out and hoping the rest of today goes fine, and I can get a bit more sleep when my mom gets up for the day which will hopefully be soon. I feel super nervous about being up or home alone with the cats because I have such bad anxiety that when something happens I have a panic attack, and I'm completely unable to function when it counts.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat threw up hairballs a couple of times a month then stopped eating. X-ray and barium ultrasound showed some sort of blockage. Did endoscopy procedure to remove massive hairball which was a total failure. Because 5 days later, shed ended up with abdominal surgery to remove more hairballs. Was admitted to ER after discharge due to hypovolemic shock, received 2 blood transfusions. More aftercare vet visits and continuing. We spent over 20k on medical bills. Tissue biopsy confirmed IBD that is why my kitty had massive hairball obstruction. Slow gut motility is the problem since her stomach lining is thickened due to inflammation.

Good luck to you, because the sooner you resolve this issue, the higher the chance of survival and less financial constraint.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far so good today. We think the more often and bigger hair balls are due to itching from fleas. We'll be treating the fleas Monday and that should help.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Maybe that was just a glitch but you still have the hairballs in the picture. Flea treatment may help this. Keep the wet food going along with access to water and possibly consider a hairball supplement.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe that was just a glitch but you still have the hairballs in the picture. Flea treatment may help this. Keep the wet food going along with access to water and possibly consider a hairball supplement.
True and I am, though he will only eat dry food that I soften in water so far. He refuses to eat any canned food that we offer him, so the girls have ended up eating it for him. I'm thinking of a hairball supplement or something already, I'm just not sure what would be good to use much less safe.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking of a hairball supplement or something already, I'm just not sure what would be good to use much less safe.
Due to the volume of hair he is either expelling or defecating, I really think you need to give the Laxatone a try. I am sure you searched this site for other members who have used it to see what the overall reaction has been. I believe you posted another thread about its use? If so, what feedback have you gotten?

It doesn't have to be a permanent solution, but your cat needs some help in getting rid of the rest of the hair that is apparently still in his system. Here are some articles about Laxatone if that should help you decide one way or the other.
Laxatone for cats: use, dosage, and side effects (petcarepress.com)
How Long Does Laxatone For Cats Take To Work? (animalpath.org)
Laxatone For Cats: Uses, Dosage, & Side Effects - CatTime

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Due to the volume of hair he is either expelling or defecating, I really think you need to give the Laxatone a try. I am sure you searched this site for other members who have used it to see what the overall reaction has been. I believe you posted another thread about its use? If so, what feedback have you gotten?

It doesn't have to be a permanent solution, but your cat needs some help in getting rid of the rest of the hair that is apparently still in his system. Here are some articles about Laxatone if that should help you decide one way or the other.
Laxatone for cats: use, dosage, and side effects (petcarepress.com)
How Long Does Laxatone For Cats Take To Work? (animalpath.org)
Laxatone For Cats: Uses, Dosage, & Side Effects - CatTime
I am NOT comfortable having my cat eat what's basically Vaseline( a patrolem product like the gas you put in your car and SOYBEAN Oil and another oil I can't recall right now) So I am working on figuring out something else. I don't even use that junk on my skin.

Last edited:

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As I have said, I use Laxatone and have never had a problem with it.
Well, I've read stories of cats like my Em DYING from it or similar products. They go into anaphylaxis and can't be saved, and I can't risk that. So I am trying hard to find something else that's actually safe and not a gas type product that could poison him or cause dehydration or some other issue the vet will blow off so he dies.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am NOT comfortable having my cat eat what's basically Vaseline( a patrolem product like the gas you put in your car and SOYBEAN Oil and another oil I can't recall right now) So I am working on figuring out something else. I don't even use that junk on my skin.
I totally appreciate your hesitancy, and I am sorry I upset you.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The main thing is to get the hairball out of the system before it becomes an obstruction. My kitty could not pass a massive hairball, it was like having 3 mice in the stomach. Because her stomach was so inflamed from hairballs, there was no way all that hair was going to come out either from vomit or defecation. She nearly died from it and costs us thousands to save her.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The main thing is to get the hairball out of the system before it becomes an obstruction. My kitty could not pass a massive hairball, it was like having 3 mice in the stomach. Because her stomach was so inflamed from hairballs, there was no way all that hair was going to come out either from vomit or defecation. She nearly died from it and costs us thousands to save her.
I know. Working on finding a safe comfortable way to do so. I feel lost though as I'm not sure of any foods or anything that claim to deal with hairballs. So I'm researching and feeling awful about it all.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know. Working on finding a safe comfortable way to do so. I feel lost though as I'm not sure of any foods or anything that claim to deal with hairballs. So I'm researching and feeling awful about it all.
Sorry, but I don't think hairball formulated food will solve the hairball issue. Hairball food has extra fiber to add bulk to the stool to help pass hairball. It is a maintenance to prevent it but it will not help to pass if the hairball is too big.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but I don't think hairball formulated food will solve the hairball issue. Hairball food has extra fiber to add bulk to the stool to help pass hairball. It is a maintenance to prevent it but it will not help to pass if the hairball is too big.
That makes sense. At the moment everything seems okay. Em is active, eating well (food softened in water as I'm still nervous about giving him dry but he did eat a bit of dry food today and had no issues with it.) He's drinking as well and everything seems to be going well in the litter box. So I don't think he's blocked in any way. I'm concerned about that happening however, and am trying to find a safe, effective way to prevent it. I'm keeping a close eye on all 3 kitties as hairballs are a thing right now, and I'm not sure how to safely take care of the problem especially in our elderly cat who's going on 25 and having some health issues we're struggling to address on top of all of this.

I apologize if I'm not making a lot of sense. I haven't slept for a full night in about a week, and it's taking its toll. I'm starting to wish I had a fantastic friend that's a vet or a vet tech with the ability to come hang out at my house for a few days/nights, so I can actually sleep knowing everyone is safe and in good hands with the knowledge to help them if things go sideways while I'm resting.