Cat Noises

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kinda strange noises does your cat make? Do you know what they mean? My Kitten rarely meows, she mews when she wants attention. But lately she's been doing this cute little chirp like noise. What does that mean!? O__o its super cute and makes me coo her and pet her but why would she randomly make this noise? I've never heard a cat chirp lol

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Chirping is very cute..

My cats aren't great talkers but they do 'cluck' at birds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Chirping is very cute..

My cats aren't great talkers but they do 'cluck' at birds.
Thats funny! My kitten started clucking at my cockatoos the other day XD

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse is fairly quiet compared to a lot of cats and doesn't really have a proper miaow, it's more of a squeak ( the main reason I call him Mouse
  ).   As a Russian Blue I suspect he's a pretty chatty one though. 

He will chirrup when he's being super-cute and wants petted or is happy playing a peek a boo type game, and does that funny clicking noise when he's hyper about a spider or something. There's a really plaintive miaow he does when he wants something and I'm not understanding him, but mostly it's his little squeak.  There's a varying tone depending on how happy and relaxed he is or if he's wanting food, cleaning up a furball, or cleaned up litter. He's very good at using his gaze and expression to add to the tone, and runs off to what he wants you to notice while he makes his sounds.  He does purr but it's usually quite quiet. 

He doesn't try to mimic sounds like some cats do but he squeaks in response like we're having a conversation.  

No hissing, no spitting and no growling noises.     
    He'd be beaten up in minutes if he got outside...  

miskinsincap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Peanut is too much vocal. There are all kinds of different voices she uses in different occasions, and she has the habit of replying me when I talk to her. We have this weird thing, kind of like a game; I say "My lamb, where is my little lamb?", and she replies "Guurrrr?", then I begin to talk about anything and she comments with "e-eh"s, "ba-ah"s and other funny voices between my sentences. When she's grumpy she makes this "hmph" voice which I'm almost sure she picked up from my husband. She even makes a kind of little barking noise when she's way too much grumpy. For the last couple of years she uses an ambulance siren like meowing for to beg for food, and it can get really annoying at times.

ShapSheik, on the other hand is a squeaky guy. He chirps when he's dissatisfied or wants something. He squeaks to Peanut when he wants to play with her, which she usually ignores or replies with a "hmph", since she is still not happy that he came to live with us. He recently learned meowing, but he only meows when he's looking for me and can't find me, and it is not even a full loud meow like Peanut's just a tiny polite meow, as if he's asking something politely. When I'm looking for him, I call "Where's my boy?" and he rushes towards me from wherever he was and muttering "ee-e-ee-e" on his way. Oh, and I heard him cry twice; he hit his nose some place and began crying with an "eeeek" kind of voice. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat, softy, used to talk to me and answer me and even ask questions. When I'd hang out the wash she'd sit on the ledge next to me. When I finished I'd say ok and she would answer like finished? When I'd switch off the tv and she wasn't on my lap she'd come running bedtime? If she was in the kitchen while I was cooking and she was with me and I spoke to her she'd reply. I've never been so close to an animal like that before. My second cat, gentle, if she was 'displeased' would snap her teeth together with a click. It was so funny. Lotto purred like a tractor. Would ask me to fill up his bowl but not eat. He just wanted to make sure his plate was full for when he did want to eat. Whisky meows when he wants food even though he still has some food in his bowl. He has a special meow with a ? After when calling blighty. He doesn't purr. Blighty gives little baby mew when he wants to suckle and forces his way into whisky's tum. He doesn't purr either. They're quite quiet these two.

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Mouse is fairly quiet compared to a lot of cats and doesn't really have a proper miaow, it's more of a squeak ( the main reason I call him Mouse
  ).   As a Russian Blue I suspect he's a pretty chatty one though. 

He will chirrup when he's being super-cute and wants petted or is happy playing a peek a boo type game, and does that funny clicking noise when he's hyper about a spider or something. There's a really plaintive miaow he does when he wants something and I'm not understanding him, but mostly it's his little squeak.  There's a varying tone depending on how happy and relaxed he is or if he's wanting food, cleaning up a furball, or cleaned up litter. He's very good at using his gaze and expression to add to the tone, and runs off to what he wants you to notice while he makes his sounds.  He does purr but it's usually quite quiet. 

He doesn't try to mimic sounds like some cats do but he squeaks in response like we're having a conversation.

No hissing, no spitting and no growling noises.     
    He'd be beaten up in minutes if he got outside... 
I think my Kittens mum was a Russian blue, or part Russian blue
 I feel as if My kitten doesn't have a proper meow yet. She does this cute mew when she hungry or wants more food, or want me to hurry with the food. Lately its this cute chirp when she wants attention. My kitten is also very expressive with her Tone and eyes, she has even taken up to "pointing" wit her paw. Like today when she killed a fly, she looked at me meowed loudly with excitement and led me to a dead fly that I couldn't see so she pointed at it with her paw. She usually purrs really quietly, but yesterday I apparently petted her just right to the point where she sounded like a lawn mower!

Almost all the cats I've encountered were big time meow-ers(?lol) I find it strange that my kitten is so quite XD

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mother's cat Olivia only chirps.  She meowed once and I thought there was another cat in the house!  Her chirps are adorable!  

Noodles chirps when she's trying to butter me up to feed her.  Mooch does a funny airy sounding chirp when she's kneading my lap and purring.  But she is the talker in our house.  

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm still trying to understand Jasper's miaows and he is still developing them. It's mostly something along the lines of "pay attention to me" or "feed me". He is pretty vocal in the kitchen. If I am busy doing the dishes or something, he miaows until I look at him (usually on the kitchen bench, I gave up trying). It gets longer and more high pitched and he will jump up on to my shoulders if I ignore him. When I turn around he is usually straining his neck out and doing this funny sideways head wobble until I lean down to butt heads or rub noses. Sometimes he looks so desperate for attention his ears are half pinned back to his head. Yeah, he is quite the attention seeker! There is a closed mouth quiet miaow when I'm looking at him but not doing anything. And there is a sort of "mrah" sound if I pick him up and set him down on the floor, kind of like "hey, I was doing something" (like getting in the bin). Because I don't know what he is saying most of the time and he does sound rather whingey, he gets more food than he probably should. Oh yeah, there is also the saddest, lost and lonely, kitty cry at the door when I have to put him out of the living/kitchen area. And this is generally followed by a very exasperated miaow when said door is opened, as in "it's about time!" It does worry me that he is too clingy.

He snorts in his sleep. That's pretty self explanatory. He sighs heavily when he is settling down for a nap. He miaowed in his sleep yesterday, and sometimes makes tiny whimpering sounds while dreaming which is cute and sad at the same time.

He makes the chirrup noise a lot. I think it's a greeting to me because it's usually when he jumps up on my lap or on to the table to get a pat. Kind of "hey, how's it going".

And he clicks his teeth and makes squeaking noises at the birds out the window. I freaked out the first time he did that because I had never seen/heard it before.

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My Mother's cat Olivia only chirps.  She meowed once and I thought there was another cat in the house!  Her chirps are adorable!

Noodles chirps when she's trying to butter me up to feed her.  Mooch does a funny airy sounding chirp when she's kneading my lap and purring.  But she is the talker in our house.  
Your mothers cat sounds adorable, when My kitten chirped the first time it was quite a startle for me lol
I'm still trying to understand Jasper's miaows and he is still developing them. It's mostly something along the lines of "pay attention to me" or "feed me". He is pretty vocal in the kitchen. If I am busy doing the dishes or something, he miaows until I look at him (usually on the kitchen bench, I gave up trying). It gets longer and more high pitched and he will jump up on to my shoulders if I ignore him. When I turn around he is usually straining his neck out and doing this funny sideways head wobble until I lean down to butt heads or rub noses. Sometimes he looks so desperate for attention his ears are half pinned back to his head. Yeah, he is quite the attention seeker! There is a closed mouth quiet miaow when I'm looking at him but not doing anything. And there is a sort of "mrah" sound if I pick him up and set him down on the floor, kind of like "hey, I was doing something" (like getting in the bin). Because I don't know what he is saying most of the time and he does sound rather whingey, he gets more food than he probably should. Oh yeah, there is also the saddest, lost and lonely, kitty cry at the door when I have to put him out of the living/kitchen area. And this is generally followed by a very exasperated miaow when said door is opened, as in "it's about time!" It does worry me that he is too clingy.

He snorts in his sleep. That's pretty self explanatory. He sighs heavily when he is settling down for a nap. He miaowed in his sleep yesterday, and sometimes makes tiny whimpering sounds while dreaming which is cute and sad at the same time.

He makes the chirrup noise a lot. I think it's a greeting to me because it's usually when he jumps up on my lap or on to the table to get a pat. Kind of "hey, how's it going".

And he clicks his teeth and makes squeaking noises at the birds out the window. I freaked out the first time he did that because I had never seen/heard it before.
Awwhe Jasper sounds sweet, how old is he?

I feel like we should record all theses chirps! haha, I wonder where they learned this?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I feel like we should record all theses chirps! haha, I wonder where they learned this?
The chirping noise they make is genetic. Baby cheetas chirp to their mothers. It is theorized that it is to not alert both prey and predator that there is a baby around.

The chattering noise is theorized to be a relatively quiet stress reliever when the cat is carefully and slowly stalking prey.

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

He is app. 7 months old and I've had him for almost 5 of those. He's a very sweet cat. The kitchen antics can be irritating but then we rub noses and it's all good

Considering he was without his mother from very young (found in a backyard), I'm happy that he communicates well and is very affectionate. Genetic certainly makes sense. 

chloeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cole is very vocal for his food,when im in the shower,when he wants me to open the tap so he can drink water directly and when I say good morning ,he greets back.

He also purrs pretty loudly when Im stroking him just the way he likes.Chloe however,has this little mewling sound,when she's complaining or wants something.They both have this thing

about my feet but Chloe purrs real loud if I stroke her with my feet.She does this every morning while im  in bed.she sometimes sounds like she is snorting.Its weird.

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

The chirping noise they make is genetic. Baby cheetas chirp to their mothers. It is theorized that it is to not alert both prey and predator that there is a baby around.

The chattering noise is theorized to be a relatively quiet stress reliever when the cat is carefully and slowly stalking prey.

Cole is very vocal for his food,when im in the shower,when he wants me to open the tap so he can drink water directly and when I say good morning ,he greets back.

He also purrs pretty loudly when Im stroking him just the way he likes.Chloe however,has this little mewling sound,when she's complaining or wants something.They both have this thing

about my feet but Chloe purrs real loud if I stroke her with my feet.She does this every morning while im  in bed.she sometimes sounds like she is snorting.Its weird.

That so sweet!

He is app. 7 months old and I've had him for almost 5 of those. He's a very sweet cat. The kitchen antics can be irritating but then we rub noses and it's all good

Considering he was without his mother from very young (found in a backyard), I'm happy that he communicates well and is very affectionate. Genetic certainly makes sense.
Awwhe, well luckily he found you :D

That's so cool.

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wooow the quoting came out really strange O_O

korvia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oliver only has one mew and that's "ow you hurt me or ow I hurt myself"