Cat no longer wants favorite food

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know when I get sick sometimes I can't stomach the food I was eating before getting sick, but my cat has seemingly decided that the food that once was like crack to him, is not something he wants any longer (after getting sick to his stomach and having a bout of diahhrea)

Weird right?

Also weird, he used to eat the whole thing.

Now with something he will eat... he always leaves the last 1/4th of it.

And yes I just had him checked out at the vet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can change their minds often. My cats will beg for a certain food, like Sheba cuts in the single portions, and then refuse it after a couple of days. I keep about 4 favorites around to interchange if they turn their noses up. The outside cats appreciate it! Sometimes if you just let it sit there a while they will eventually go back to it. I would bet that after a while, say a month or so, your cat will go back to eating what he previously refused. I have one little boy that absolutely insists on a bite of roasted chicken several times a day, and has for years. He got me trained!
It may be that he felt so miserable after eating all his food that time he got sick, he doesn't want to get that full again. it also may be that his stomach is still bothering him some, and little amounts are all he can handle. If you see that he is not eating enough, get some lickable treats at the cat food section in the broth type and see if that stimulates his appetite. I give it evry day to get meds into my cats. They love the chicken and tuna, and the tuna and shrimp. They won't eat the bisque type. They have never refused it!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's said to be not uncommon for a cat to stop eating the food when she gets sick while on it - they associate the food with sickness and get nauseous, I read.

With that said, are you sure he's bored of that food or is it about that particular box you have? This summer I thought my cat finally had enough of her dry food as she was eating it as little as possible, but turned out, the taste has gotten weird for her. There was no bad odor, there was a year until the expiration date, it was in a container but I guess the humidity still affected it enough. I got a new pack and she ate from the new bag just fine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. After nearly 10 years of eating the same dry food, I started to add some canned food a couple/three years ago. And, Feeby ate both without any problem. But, when she had some health related issues most likely brought on by a flea infestation, she quit eating the dry food altogether - that was about 6 months ago. Gladly, she continued to eat the canned, but she was noticeably less enthused. At first I started adding some Fancy Feast to it, and that helped immensely. However, there were a few instances when she seemed to taper off and by adding some baby food meats, she would pick up her eating again. It is only just recently that she has begun to eat just a few morsels of the dry here and there (I leave it out for her, just in case), but I suspect she will probably never go back to eating a lot of it.

Feeby also always leaves a bit of food in her dish - but, that is a long time habit with her, so not the same as your guy. If his illness lasted any length of time, it could be that his stomach has shrunk and he just can't eat the amount he used to in one sitting. Or, as said above, his stomach still isn't quit back to normal.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, it's not weird at all.
I keep a couple little bags of different kibble as backup in case I encounter a bad batch (it happened once).

Hi. After nearly 10 years of eating the same dry food, I started to add some canned food a couple/three years ago. And, Feeby ate both without any problem. But, when she had some health related issues...
I rotated dry (brand AND flavor) every 1-2 months. This way I dont need a slow transition, just 2 days of mix. Still, a couple weeks ago my kitty decided he had enough of chicken. No issues at all, but the weather got warmer sooner than normal. But he did eat canned chicken filets...
Now I managed to have him eat a different brand, all pork flavor and trying to accomplish a switch to mostly wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think it is the particular food batch as I have been picking up new ones from the store (as he kept eating 3/4ths of a can) I needed more. It seems like he is now starting to return to normal.