Cat no longer uses the litterbox....need help ASAP!!!!

drewster98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a roughly 12 year old long haired cat that no longer seems to want to use the litterbox. I have literally tried EVERYTHING to get her to use it. This has been going on for over 6 months now. She's been to 3 different vets to see if they could do anything for her. She did have a UTI but that was taken care of. I was also told she was probably constipated so I now have her on mostly wet food. I've put litterboxes at the locations where she does her business and she will just go next to the litterbox instead. I've tried Feliway. I've tried adding that litterbox attractant powder you sprinkle in the box. I'm now putting down pee pee pads all along the wall so she will do her business on that. 95% of the time she will use the pee pee pad. My carpets are basically ruined and I don't know what else to do. Do I confine her in a bathroom with just a litterbox and food/water, hoping a confined space will force her to use the litterbox? Love her to death but something has to change soon because I'm at the end of my rope here. Please help!!!!!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.. and what kind of litter box? At her age, she may have discovered that climbing high wall litter box is less comfortable for her than going elsewhere.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Does she pee AND poop outside the litterbox(es)? This could be a sign of arthritis, and she is uncomfortable with/has trouble getting in and out of the boxes, so she goes next to them instead. About the only way to determine that is to have x-rays done, as that will show bone/joint deterioration. If that is so, there are many joint supplements on the market you can try, and we can address those for you if/when you reach that point.

You can also try a couple of large cardboard box lids (low sided) and place litter in one, and pee pads in the other. If she uses both, it is the box and/or arthritis - if she uses only the one with the pee pads, it is likely the litter - and still maybe also arthritis. If neither work, it could be the scent of her pee/poop outside the box and on the carpeting that is attracting her to continue to go there. Ditto about addressing carpet cleaning solutions when you are ready to talk about those!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drewster98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
.. and what kind of litter box? At her age, she may have discovered that climbing high wall litter box is less comfortable for her than going elsewhere.
I have 2 Luuup litter boxes almost side by side. I also bought a bunch of Natures Miracles disposable boxes recently to put where she has been peeing and pooping. They are definitely lower in height than the Luuups

drewster98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI. Does she pee AND poop outside the litterbox(es)? This could be a sign of arthritis, and she is uncomfortable with/has trouble getting in and out of the boxes, so she goes next to them instead. About the only way to determine that is to have x-rays done, as that will show bone/joint deterioration. If that is so, there are many joint supplements on the market you can try, and we can address those for you if/when you reach that point.

You can also try a couple of large cardboard box lids (low sided) and place litter in one, and pee pads in the other. If she uses both, it is the box and/or arthritis - if she uses only the one with the pee pads, it is likely the litter - and still maybe also arthritis. If neither work, it could be the scent of her pee/poop outside the box and on the carpeting that is attracting her to continue to go there. Ditto about addressing carpet cleaning solutions when you are ready to talk about those!
She definitely pees and poops outside the litterbox. The one thing the vets did not do was do xrays. She doesn't seem to have issues climbing and jumping around the house though. I have an insanely high bed in my room and she has zero problems jumping up there to sleep with me at night.

I actually placed 3 small litter boxes where she does her business with just pee pads in them. I currently have my NEST camera set up so i can see what she's been doing. She walked into each litter box and then decided to pee on the pad next to the boxes instead.

I do have a professional carpet cleaner and it's been working overtime lately. I do have a couple spray bottles that are supposed to get rid of urine smells and stains.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, for the reason that brought you here.

Did anything change in the home prior to this starting? New people? New schedules? Or did it all start with the UTI?

Oh... just see you posted that she peed on the pee pad. Maybe try putting one of them in a litter box and see what happens.

TCS some some articles on litter box avoidance that might be helpful. Here are the links:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping | TheCatSite
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory | TheCatSite

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually placed 3 small litter boxes where she does her business with just pee pads in them. I currently have my NEST camera set up so i can see what she's been doing. She walked into each litter box and then decided to pee on the pad next to the boxes instead.
Great thinking on the camera!! So, now test one or more of those boxes with litter instead of pee pads - just as another prospect. Every combination you can think of, I would try.

I don't know how recent she was treated for the UTI, but I do know that if the correct antibiotic is not used it just curtails the infection, but doesn't get rid of it. Did she have a urine culture/sensitivity test done to determine the actual bacteria causing the UTI, and what would work best on it? That happened with my Feeby (15+ yo). An antibiotic would help resolve the infection, temporarily. It wasn't until the urine culture that they actually identified the most appropriate antibiotic and that ended up resolving her UTI. In Feeby's case it was e-coli which can be terribly hard to get rid of.

drewster98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, for the reason that brought you here.

Did anything change in the home prior to this starting? New people? New schedules? Or did it all start with the UTI?

Oh... just see you posted that she peed on the pee pad. Maybe try putting one of them in a litter box and see what happens.

TCS some some articles on litter box avoidance that might be helpful. Here are the links:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping | TheCatSite
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory | TheCatSite
Already tried putting just pee pads in a litter box the other night. She steps in the boxes, gets out, and does her business next to them still.

I live by myself. I have one other cat that is the same age and doesn't have issues. There have been zero changes in this cats life to make her do this. I have no idea if the UTI caused this but tests have proven that the UTI is gone. Maybe its just a behavioral thing now?

drewster98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great thinking on the camera!! So, now test one or more of those boxes with litter instead of pee pads - just as another prospect. Every combination you can think of, I would try.

I don't know how recent she was treated for the UTI, but I do know that if the correct antibiotic is not used it just curtails the infection, but doesn't get rid of it. Did she have a urine culture/sensitivity test done to determine the actual bacteria causing the UTI, and what would work best on it? That happened with my Feeby (15+ yo). An antibiotic would help resolve the infection, temporarily. It wasn't until the urine culture that they actually identified the most appropriate antibiotic and that ended up resolving her UTI. In Feeby's case it was e-coli which can be terribly hard to get rid of.
Trust me, I've already tried those boxes with litter before the pee pads were put in instead. I think I'm out of combinations to try. Ha

She was treated for the UTI about 3 months ago, maybe longer. I had her at 2 other vets after her UTI treatment and they both said her bloodwork came back negative for UTI's. So I'm assuming the correct antibiotic was used. I honestly don't know what the original vet did to diagnose her UTI. They just did bloodwork. Are you saying I should go to a vet and ask them to perform a urine culture/sensitivity test?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They just did bloodwork. Are you saying I should go to a vet and ask them to perform a urine culture/sensitivity test?
I honestly don't know how a blood test can identify a UTI, short of high WBC (off topic, but that could mean a ton of other things) - Feeby's bloodwork doesn't show anything when she has had a UTI - so your vets had to have at least done a urinalysis on some of your girl's urine? I would ask about what exactly they did test for, and even get copies if you want them (doesn't hurt at her age, for future reference for you to have them). If there was no urine culture/sensitivity testing, then yes, that would be something to do.

The thing is with e-coli - if it were to be that - it can get to the point of an infection, but doesn't always have to. It lines the bladder and creates irritation than can lead to a UTI. Does she groom as well as she used to? That is what my vet thinks Feeby's e-coli is about - normal bacteria from the digestive tract that gets into the urethra and travels up to the bladder because she doesn't clean herself very well anymore.

The other thing is if your girl can smell her pee/poop outside the boxes, but not in them, that might also be a draw. It is harder to do with pee, but at least the poop could be transferred to one (or more) of the boxes so that she smells her 'stuff' in there. Maybe even cut a piece of the pee pad she has peed on and put that in one (or more) of the boxes???

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Already tried putting just pee pads in a litter box the other night. She steps in the boxes, gets out, and does her business next to them still.

I live by myself. I have one other cat that is the same age and doesn't have issues. There have been zero changes in this cats life to make her do this. I have no idea if the UTI caused this but tests have proven that the UTI is gone. Maybe its just a behavioral thing now?
A cat's instinct is to dig and cover their waste, so just wondering, does she try to dig at the pee pad after she uses it?

Also, did she completely stop using the litter box all at once, or was it for pee first, and then poop?

How does she get along with the other cat? Any changes in their relationship prior to, or since the change in litter box habits?

drewster98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A cat's instinct is to dig and cover their waste, so just wondering, does she try to dig at the pee pad after she uses it?

Also, did she completely stop using the litter box all at once, or was it for pee first, and then poop?

How does she get along with the other cat? Any changes in their relationship prior to, or since the change in litter box habits?
She digs at the pee pad before and after using it. I had a breakthrough tonight though. Today I went to the pet store and bought 3 different kinds of litter. CatSpot non clumping coconut cat litter, Fresh 4 Lyfe clumping silica litter, and Dr Elseys cat attract litter. I put 3 small boxes each filled slightly with each of the litters on top of pee pads where she normally does her business. Not even 5 minutes ago I was downstairs getting ready to watch a movie in my home theater and she comes running down. She immediately runs to the box with the Dr Elseys litter in it, squats, pees, and buries it. Then proceeds to get out and scrap at all the pee pads. Ran upstairs as if she knew she finally did a good job. I'm hoping for the best since this is probably the first time shes actually used the litter box in months. Lets see where the poop goes tomorrow. Wish me luck!!!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not even 5 minutes ago I was downstairs getting ready to watch a movie in my home theater and she comes running down. She immediately runs to the box with the Dr Elseys litter in it, squats, pees, and buries it. Then proceeds to get out and scrap at all the pee pads. Ran upstairs as if she knew she finally did a good job.
Awww... good girl. :cheerleader::hearthrob::catlove:

I'm hoping for the best since this is probably the first time shes actually used the litter box in months. Lets see where the poop goes tomorrow. Wish me luck!!!!!
:goodluck: Keep us posted. :crossfingers:

drewster98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it appears I've solved the litter box issue. She has used it for 2 days straight now without an incident. Now I need to figure out how to get the litter boxes to the correct room though. Currently the litter boxes are at the bottom of my basement stairs. They need to go in the laundry room which is also in the basement but in a different room. Suggestions?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great news! To change the litter box locations, make sure you do it SLOWLY. Like, literally, move it only a foot or so a day, so there's no extreme change in location. And, if it were me, I'd wait a bit longer before doing anything. Don't want to stress / confuse your girl. :hearthrob: