Cat no longer sleeps on my bed. Why is that?

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know cats change up their preferred sleeping spots and that’s fine BUUUUT I do miss my cat snuggles at night and in the mornings. Without fail every night mochi, my 2 yo used to come into bed with me at night for a bit. He always got down to do is own thing while I slept but he would come right back in the morning for pets. He no longer does this at all. For the last few months I’ve noticed. Probably not a big deal lol but I still miss it :-( anything I can do to entice him back into his old ways?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it has to do with season of the year. When warmer weather comes, a cat may seek out a cooler space. In that case he may come back to your bed when weather cools. I suppose you could entice him with bed with treats but still no guarantee he will stay.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He might go back to it on his own - eventually. Did you do anything to get him to come to snuggle with you at night in the beginning? If so, do it again. And, yes it could be related to the seasons, cool vs. warm. If he has found a new favorite place, what is it on and where is it - can you replicate it on your bed?

He is young, so no comparison, but Feeby 16+yo slept at my head for years, and then quit. No known reason why. She still comes to bed and she still finds some place on the bed to sleep, but only recently has been 'entertaining' sleeping at my head again. She is rare for how long she did this, in terms of what I have read on this site that cats go through phases for reasons mostly unknown to us.

You could always otherwise try to persuade him by carrying him to bed with you...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may well be the season. Hek is right next to me during the winter, and at the end of the bed all summer. And this is in an apartment with central heat and air that stays at the same temperature setting all year long! Give him time. He may be back with the turning of the seasons!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He might go back to it on his own - eventually. Did you do anything to get him to come to snuggle with you at night in the beginning? If so, do it again. And, yes it could be related to the seasons, cool vs. warm. If he has found a new favorite place, what is it on and where is it - can you replicate it on your bed?

He is young, so no comparison, but Feeby 16+yo slept at my head for years, and then quit. No known reason why. She still comes to bed and she still finds some place on the bed to sleep, but only recently has been 'entertaining' sleeping at my head again. She is rare for how long she did this, in terms of what I have read on this site that cats go through phases for reasons mostly unknown to us.

You could always otherwise try to persuade him by carrying him to bed with you...
He sleeps on his cat tower a lot. Or on the couch in the game room on one of my jackets. Or under the couch by his feather toy lol. He sleeps in a lot of different places! Maybe it is the warmer weather.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it has to do with season of the year. When warmer weather comes, a cat may seek out a cooler space. In that case he may come back to your bed when weather cools. I suppose you could entice him with bed with treats but still no guarantee he will stay.
Yes, I feel like cats get hot easier than humans with their furs and all. In the summer, sometimes during one of Juli’s naps she will get up from the leather couch and move to the floor and sprawl out under the fan. I think the leather makes her hot.

nicoles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Sally does this all the time now- out of nowhere lol, she used to sleep in my bed with me, and now she moves to the couch, to under the bed— It’s weird cause she didn’t for the first two years of her life and now she is but I do think it’s the seasons here, on cooler nights she’s in bed with me.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat is long-haired and I know he gets hot once the temps and humidity start to rise. The weather here has been up and down since May is an iffy, unpredictable month. Like you, I feel lonesome when he does not sleep with me at night but it just means I give him more pets and cuddles during the daytime. As long as your cat is acting normal, e.g. eating, using the litter box, playful, etc. I wouldn't worry too much. However, if you notice any other unusual symptoms by all means contact your vet.